Author Topic: A/B idea/quesion  (Read 2764 times)

superman

A/B idea/quesion
« on: January 22, 2003, 09:07:00 AM »
so an a/b has been done, you have your pureified salt in your non-polar.  would it not be reasonable to basify and filter the needed substance, rather than evaporating, saving the solvent for future use or have i just been awake for too long?

thanks

Wargasm

Huh?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »
What are you doing?  You need more infomation than this.

superman

details
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 12:08:00 PM »
say extractiing pfed for example.   in the final stage you have pure pfed dissolved in polor solvent (meant to say polar rather than non-polar originally).  rather than evap. it off,  would it not be faster to basify and filter?   everywhere i read it say to evap.

thank you :)

spooky1234

If you find evaporating so hard why not just...
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 12:50:00 PM »
If you find evaporating so hard why not just gas the non-polar instead of extracting into acidic solvent? HCl is made very easily with hydrochloric acid and sulfuric acid. Look it up on www.rhodium.ws.

superman

gas it!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 12:53:00 PM »
hmm that i will certainly look into!   thanks

Wargasm

bee careful gassing
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 03:33:00 PM »
It is on Rhodium's in detail.  Basicly, you drip hydrochloric acid into sulfuric acid.  The sulphuric dehydrates the HCl, giving you HCl gas.  Add an inline dryer and suck back trap and there you have it.
Please be careful gassing.  As simple as it sounds, one mistake can flood your lab with HCl.  I would guess at least 1/2 the bees who gas have some gassing disaster story (myself included).  If it is possible, gas outdoors or under a fume hood.

superman

gassing.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 06:27:00 PM »
good advice.  in spite of the dreadfully cold weather SWIM think he will heed this and work on the deck :)

El_Zorro

Make sure and wave to the neighbors. :-P
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 07:18:00 PM »
Make sure and wave to the neighbors. :P