Author Topic: Which fittings does 1 need: Cu tube ->metal lid  (Read 1252 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


  • Guest
Which fittings does 1 need: Cu tube ->metal lid
« on: September 05, 2003, 11:11:00 PM »
OK what fittings and odd bits does one need to connect copper tubing to a paint tin lid for a low (mainly) b.p solvent recylcer (distillation rig)?

this is my understanding of it:
-I need a piece of Cu tubing
-I need a hollow magicians hat shaped thing to sit on the lid and to fit around the tubing.
-I need a rubber fitting(s) of some sort to make the seal.
Should a rubber washer sit underneath the magicians hat?

I probably need to solder the copper joints too, right?

I;'ve read the professional still pdf at rhodiums, it rules, but what I want is a disposable quickie, and I figure if I have the solution to the tubing to the paint lid part...and the quickest solution to vapour-tight copper joints, then this can bee accomplished easily.

It's just I have a problem with discarding and I think wasting dirty acetone, MEK, ethyl acetate when it requires such low joules to vapourise.

A quick explanation of the names of different fitting types and uses would bee really appreciated, I'm young and dumb. A link would bee just as good.



  • Guest
..In a joint like this
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 07:15:00 AM »
You'd probably want some kind of bulkhead fitting for the lid, and some kind of quick connect or compression fitting pair to attach the condensor to. Take a trip to your local plumbing/homestore emporium, I'm sure you'd find something there. Alternatively you might be able to braze the pipe on permenent-like, but I don't know much about that.



  • Guest
Cooler Drain
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 03:42:00 PM »
A bulkhead fitting is the way to go. A good hardware store or plumbing supply should carry a part called a 'cooler drain'. The cooler drain is a brass threaded tube about 1" long with a flange attached at one end. It comes with a rubber gasket and a lock nut. As I recall, they have a 3/4" male pipe thread on the outside and a 1/2" female pipe thread inside.     
     Drill a 3/4" hole in the lid then remove any burrs.With the gasket fitted on the part, push it through your paint can lid from inside. Then put the lock nut on from the outside and tighten it til you're happy with the fit. Now you can thread a 1/2" MPT x 3/8" (or whatever size copper tubing) compression fitting into it. The copper tube gets attached to the compression fitting using the included nut and compression ring which seals the tube to the fitting.
     Then you have a nice neat connection between paint can and copper coil. Probably much more reliable than solder/brazing and much easier. Unscrew it for re-use when you toss the paint can/ lid.


  • Guest
Guys I appreciate that.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 07:01:00 PM »
Guys I appreciate that. google is full of photos of these fittings with the names you supplied.

Overflow drainage would have exactly the same requirments, but I don't know about you...I'd just drill a hole in a fishpond.  ;D