Author Topic: Super High Potentcy Push/Pull dope  (Read 77348 times)

Red_Crown

intentions, assumptions, question, cheesy sig
« Reply #200 on: August 12, 2004, 05:49:00 PM »
Just because a reaction is thermodynamically favored does not mean it is spontaneous.

I didn't neglect the role of temperature, but meant to leave it as the open variable of sorts; partly thinking that standard conditions might provide the required activation energy.

-On what order is the activation energy for this reaction? 
-What is the mechanism anyway (to iodoephedrine)? Sn2? Sn1?
(It feels like it'd have to be somehow in-between.. Inversion indicates Sn2, but with an aweful OH- leaving group?? Sn1 would make for water as the leaving group, but it's trigonal bipyramidal transition state would cause racemization, no? I'm probably forgetting..) Then, couldn't any eliminations undergo a methyl shift?
-Just how much energy is ambiently 'free' at STP?
-If the reaction was perfectly insulated, beyond the initial energy of activation, wouldn't it be self-sustaining (- since even the EA would be conserved)?
-Given the observation that it IS indeed spontaneous at RT(initially anyways), might conservation of the energy from rxnA drive rxnB? (-whether by insulation or perhaps coupling the two parts in lock-step somehow..)

If I am completely off-base, you don't have to give me a chemistry lesson (unless you want to), just tell me I'm wrong and I'll work my way out.. :)

CharlieBigpotato

Na in h2o:
« Reply #201 on: August 13, 2004, 02:45:00 AM »
when dropping small slices of sodium down a tube with water in it, the liberted H2 has always exploded, w/ no spark.
i'm not sure why, now.

i better study up. thanks for the explantion, cheif.