Author Topic: possible problem:  (Read 9919 times)

CharlieBigpotato

possible problem:
« on: August 23, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »
if one uses double mbrp to acheive decent rp amounts, especially in a small rxn of the hot and dry type, one can end up with a sludge that simply isn't fluid enough to avoid clumps that stick to a flask's walls. in a lwr, this is of much less concern.

abominator

Clumps could bee a prob
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 06:10:00 PM »
While swim has never ran into this problem, he can see how a newbee could.  The most tedious part of the push/pull IMHO is the first stage, if not enough water it will clump up like Charlie said, too much and it won't fire.  Heat also has a lot to do with this, too much heat too quickly will cause the reagents to clump up and the cook may bee forced to add a bit more water.

This is why LWR is highly recommend, no stages, just set it and forget it, well better remember it actually. ;)

wimpy

Hey! Really cool, thanks for all the replies -
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 08:07:00 PM »
Hey! Really cool, thanks for all the replies - this turns out to be a real yeilding thread - to think that i was covering my ears against all that slaps i was nearly sure to gain when i looked in again first after posting ... ;)

Very helpful in general and in special (SWIM's still not in the mood to scrape some MBRP again ... or at least not with acetone, next time he'll try simple Methanole like mentioned above)
Thanks again
I hope SWIM will proceed this time, he will report - maybe it turnes out to become a usable nano.

By the way: I'm still trying to understand the mechanisms behind: Would a LWR also work with, say, "Push/Pull Equipment" like descibed by Worlock instead of a balloon?? like those two gas cannisters put together, and so on?
Is the balloon used needed to reflux? or is it just used to prevent all that stinky gas from escaping? And IF it is necessary to reflux, how does this work with the above mentioned "Worlock apparatus" ???

And i read in another thread, if there's not enough free time to run the full 48h at once, the reaction can be splitted (today 4h, tomorrow 3, and so on) -
is this true? and practicable?

Anyway, thanks a lot!! :)

abominator

No ballon, condensor
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 02:56:00 AM »
A reflux needs a condenser by definition.  One could make a condenser or just actually opt to buy the glass ware!

However on nano reactions ballons can be used as make shift condensers.  Ask Squidippy or Ware. 

Here is a great example of a nano reaction using a ballon from our very own Wareami from post

Post 450785 (missing)

(wareami: "OrangeBowl TailGait Bash", Stimulants)

1.2ml dh2o
1.2g E
1.2g MBRP(2nd run)
3g I2(from tinc)

Combined dh2o, I2, MBRP in very small liqueur bottle and stirred.
No noticable activity after 10 min.
Added E and stirred thoroughly.
Capped with balloon attached to 4inch tube
Put on 105°C heat in oilbath and left to cook 24hr.
Pulled off heat, uncapped and stirred.
Still liquidy. Ibee likes it more solidified but Smelled done. Could have gone the extra 6 hours but Ibee was only concerned with presense of orangegaak, not unreacted.
75ml dh2o added, rp fell out. Heated then filtered.
clear light yellow post-rxn fluid
Added dilute naoh splashwise.
Turned white...then curdled...then moved UP into warm naptha.
No sign of orangegaak...no sign of emulsion after 3rd NP pull and spent post-rxn solution was clear next day.
Much to Ibee's delight...the resulting crystals upon evap were meth with just a hint of unreacted.
Bioassay lasted sleepless from a thurs midnight to sunday around 9:00pm when the slumberjacks stopped by for a visit!
Not too shabby for a gram!
Good clean buzz.

ChemoSabe

PEG - Instigator of the LWR Era
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 02:56:00 AM »
Just historical/socio behavioral note here.

Around 2 to 3 years ago there was a flood of newer varieties and concentrations of polyethylene glycol which was released into the pill gakking scene. This seemed to be the main motivating factor that got the LWR trend happeneing. And thusly there was a decent preiod of time in which it was generally thought that the shorter and "hot" cooking  habits of the past would bee put in their graves permanently.

But as pill cleaning techniques multiplied due to the introduction of even more hideous gakks it seems as if many bees have now become proficient in getting the precursor into a state in which the older short cooks are beginning to rear their heads again.

For overall quality and yeilds a good 48 hour LWR still can't be beat. But if one is in a situation in which a long cook is not practical it seems that the short cooks can again bee done.

That is if you are truly getting the precursor super clean.

PS. This post can also function as a new addendum to

Post 494521

(ChemoSabe: "A dead animal in the US", Stimulants)

geezmeister

ratios
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 06:50:00 AM »
MBRP, from the matchbooks Squidippy says one needs to use, extracted in the manner that he details in his posts on the subject, will work just fine at 0.5 first use, 0.8 second use, 1.2 third. Add fresh red after that.

I recall, Chemo, my first LWR's that I finally allowed to go the distance of 48 hours seemed to break down the PEG that came through with the pseudo. The PEG was not a motivator for me to try the LWR. The quest for better yeilds of better product was, and is, the reason for doing the LWR.

I too will cook short on a nano. I will not say the quality of a dryer cook is on par with a that from a LWR. It is not. Period.  A recent eight hour reflux produced some stunninly effective methamphetamine. All the same, SWIG knows is he had refluxed that batch, it would have only gotten better.

Jacked

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 07:20:00 AM »
Swim has ran the push pull using as little as .3:1:1. The second phase takes a little longer to set itself up and is not as violent as is using .8 and up LG...
 MBRP is a cook of a different story. No one bee does things in the exact same manor and depending on many variables determines the actual quality of your MBRP..
 Even when its the best possible recovered there is still weight difference due to specks of glue and glass added for friction. Ones weight at the final might be way different than the actual amount of RP entering the reaction.
 The amounts of MBRP used in your reaction will haft to be based on your own experiences, the ratios given are just guidelines. A place to start....

ChemoSabe

The Main Motivator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 07:32:00 AM »
Hey Geez,

While I'm certain that what you say for yourself concerning habitually adopting the LWR as a standard procedure is true I would still stand behind this statement...

Had it not been for the advent of the introductions of the newer forms of PEG as pill adulterants the LWR would never have achieved the popularity it had at it's peak (which has now passed).

For many hobbyist chemists (aside from a few like geez) changing longtime habits is often like pulling teeth and so was the trend to switch over to the LWR. But change people did once such lousy results became the norm from the hot short recipes.

Necessity is the mother of all painful habit changes.

related post

Post 495438

(ChemoSabe: "Onkle Fester axed....", Stimulants)

thinkpol

SWIM is wondering what sort of difference an...
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 08:45:00 AM »
SWIM is wondering what sort of difference an LWR yields in relation to quality and despite this being a very basic question does an LWR help in relation to removing todays GAKK's?

wareami

The LWR bennie fits :•þ
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »
Anyone have any noticably more efficient RP results when adding some aluminum shards like Worlock suggests?
Chemo: It's always been Ibee's experience that the addition of aluminum assists in scrubbing the RP especially when gaak has overwhelmed the precursors in rxn. It creates one of those scenarios when yer gear comes out and high fives ya in the end saying "Nice Save"! ;D
There was much controversy surrounding this aluminum addition and it's a sitution you should have a reason for employing it or you'll likely never see the benefits of using it.
Ibee's lived it and still swears by it under certain conditions.
The aluminum does impart it's own smell and will interfere somewhat with that "done" smell bees are accustomed to....but creates it's own distinct done smell when all is converted.
Many bees don't have an exploratory mindset and won't sit still for observing and documenting advantage over disadvantage on the pioneering trails to discovery. Especially with results that produce subtle differences.
If the RP ratio was lacking or gaak threatens the rxn...by AWE means introduce a few broken UP poptops for that added Umph needed to reach the finish line!
For those that still aren't sold on this aluminum addition, add a peace  of aluminum to a rxn in progress and observe the reactants interaction with the aluminum.
That smell note is important. Pay attention to it!

As for the PEG issue being a primary motivator that lead the LWR's developement? Not so! Although the LWR did turn out to be a best case scenario that spanned across and dealt with many problem areas making the window of success much bigger than the narrower windows at the time created by some encapsulating persistant gaaks.
Ibee was a bee that never had peg problems like most bees experienced and reported.
But most bees weren't employing the extraction methods that Ibee utilized toward sidestepping most gaaks.
And most importantly, part of Ibee's experimentation centered around recovery in any given situation pre and post rxn extraction! This entailed creating common failures scenarios in order to develope workarounds for those destined to encounter them.
Ibee learned more from those experiments than he could have ever hoped to have learned from all the successes.
Being a real "GO Getter" unfortunately, never centered solely around getting the GO for himself as much as it centered around helping to increase the chances for others to dream successfully.
Experiences that Ibee wouldn't change for the world.
That may sound egotistical or grandious to some, but in a community of info sharing and giving back, you can't give what you don't have.
And on an ever changing dreamscape, thanks to LE and PharmChemists, that old clich`e "If you can't keep UP, take notes!" just won't cut it.

The LWR reflux was born accidently out of a need to get at the bottom of what caused "ShootingSpark-SpaceDope".
If it weren't for Geezmeister's confirming reports and assessments on heat being a primary cause for, Ibee would have never lowered the heat creating a need to cook longer or the need to hydrate the rxn above normal dh2o ratio to keep the rxn from drying out.

It seems fitting that Geez should be the first OldDawg to employ the shift and experience the differences that Ibee was claiming and shoving down bees throats with his persistant notoriously atagonistic character and demeanor, otherwise known as Wareamiese ;)

The most exciting and funnest :P  part of chemistry, is that no matter how many combinations are factored in, there is always room for improvement and improvision at any given stage.
And when you're like Ibee, this creates an endless amount of satisfaction and joy at every junction when a new rock is discovered and fully explored to it's full potential and worth.
Giving back is the easy part when you've already been given so much by those that took the time to take you under their wing along the way.
You could say that Ibee learned every thing he needed to know by way of the sparks he received from three exceptionally inspiring great GhettoMaster veterans of the Hive.
Jacked
Worlock
Dwarfer
Without those three Chemhack masters of the skill, there would be no Ibeeware or the Kidz

And i read in another thread, if there's not enough free time to run the full 48h at once, the reaction can be splitted (today 4h, tomorrow 3, and so on) -
is this true? and practicable?

Wimpy:The rxn can be left in a state of "suspended animation" indefinately until it's complete.
Ibee felt reluctant in the beginning to leave a rxn completely unattended when duty called and he'd be off at work.
He'd shut down the heat, leave the ballon on, and continue heat every 12hours for another 8hr of cooking until the 48hr total cooking time was reached. Usually this would end up being what he liked to call a 4 day cook.
There have been some overkill experiments early on that were 5 and 7 day total constantly cooking rxns.
As stated...these tended to be WAY overkill!
But yes...a drive-by shooting style can be employed whereby you can shoot for 6 hours....hide for 12...shoot for another 12....hide for 8....shoot for another 4.....etc...etc....until the deed is done.
Ibee never shoots for less than a total 36hrs with the heat applied to the rxn.

SWIM is wondering what sort of difference an LWR yields in relation to quality and despite this being a very basic question does an LWR help in relation to removing todays GAKK's?

Yields vary from cook to cook and rely more heavily on work-up skill and the cleanliness of the feed than the rxn itself.
Ibee's yields in the 70% range were common during HF/PP rxn daze.
Today with a LWR ibee will yield in the 85% sometimes 90% range but his skills have gradually excelled due to practice making perfect.
Ibee would say a 10% yield difference, on average, is noticably a good reason to adopt the LWR approach over the HF/PP.
The biggest reason behind Ibee's unforgivable, almost nagging insistance for bees to switch to the LWR, had nothing to do with yields however.
It had more to do with the quality and strength experienced coupled with the main reason what set Ibee off in that experimental direction to begin with.
The Peace Of The Rxn and the elimination of the BranchPeeple/Black Helicopter Syndrome that threatened to be Ibee's demise if he continued to see fuckerz that weren't thare! :-[
Not a living soul can convince you are not seeing what your mind insists you are experiencing at the time! And you can do some fucked up shit during those episodes!
And if they weren't on to you as a result of the hallucinations to begin with, they will be onto you by seeing your reaction to them non-existant bastards if you follow them into the non-reality zone! :)
Nothing is scarier than meth induced paranoia.
The other causes of paranoia are easier to discern for what they are.
Ibee's a hardcore part-taker of the goodz and several things can cause meth-amphetamine psychosis.
•Sleep deprevation halucination(multiple days UP!)
•Using to excess(*over-dosing*, not in the conventional definition meaning death)
•Impurities created and imparted to the meth(The so-called meth-induced variety not to be confused with using to excess)
This last case is the type that hits ya right outta the box on the first hit and sux worse than your worst nightmare.
Going to hell in a hand-basket doesn't even come close to an accurate description. "Bad trip" comes close, but still pales in comparison.
Makers of meth have control over this and Ibee's found that control in his own gear by utilizing the LWR.
This continues to be the course of some intense research in an effort to understand it better thereby getting an eventual handle on it.
Unfortunately for Ibee, he can't avoid the spectrums of extreme until he's through with his experimentation.

To date...this condition created by the third impurity-induced cause has been arrested for Ibee when the LWR is used to reduce pfed.
He may or may not ever get a handle on the first two causes...
But stay tooned and glued to yer tubes if ya wanna find out!
Much of what comes from Ibee's corner can be viewed as ground-breaking at times, unless your there first hand as one of the lab monkey guinnea animals....For them it can be described as "Earth-Shatteringly Mind Boggling"!
Long Live The Hive!

wimpy

Hey wareami, thank you, very enlightening!!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 07:46:00 PM »
Hey wareami, thank you, very enlightening!!
What do you mean with overkill? i mean: can it be destroyed by cooking too long?
Or is this just a language based misunderstanding? If so i'm sorry :)
Thanks again!

wareami

Clarification....
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 08:24:00 PM »
"OverKill" meaning unnecessary!
5 and 7 day cooks won't hurt a thing provided the reactants don't dry out.

geezmeister

PEG and the LWR
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 11:58:00 PM »

Had it not been for the advent of the introductions of the newer forms of PEG as pill adulterants the LWR would never have achieved the popularity it had at it's peak (which has now passed).

PEG played a part in getting me to finally do a long reflux, but the part it played was a different one than you assume. PEG extracting pseudo from pills a good deal more time consuming and tedious than it had been. The method that worked for me involved soaks, boils, an a/b extraction, and as many recrystallizations of the pseudo as it took to get clean spikes; I could not do this in a single session in the lab. If I waited to Friday to buy pills I wouldn't have dope that weekend. This situation convinced me that I should do my pseudo extraction for the next reaction when I started a reaction. This gave me a week, on average, to extract the pseudo.

After some experimentation, I developed an extraction process that gave me clean pseudo that had been recrystallized in alcohol until the pseudo resembled brads by Tuesday or at the latest, Wednesday. This gave me two days down time before I would have started a reaction.  I realized that if I could set up the reflux so it could be done without me being there all the time, I could start a reflux on Wednesday and show up Friday evening to work it up.

The fire safety issues were solved for the most part by  using a cool-to-the-touch deep fat fryer for my heat source. This unit had a lid covering the top, which I modified to hold the neck of a round bottom flask. I fitted a condenser in the flask neck (above the closed lid) and experimented with the temperature setting I needed on the fryer to push the reaction in the manner I wanted.

So, PEG was the gakk that eliminated time from my list of excuses for not doing a long reflux. The convergence of moving the lab to a more rural location -- (the lower risk of detection eliminated another excuse).
Osmium's comments in the "Meth Potentcy" thread--  and another thread or two that were active at the same time -- persuaded me to try the reflux method.

I only had to do one to be convinced that it was far superior to the way I had done my rP reactions to that time. 

I will do a short, hot nano cook. I frankly don't see the virtue of refluxing a gram of pseudo for two days. Then again, I never saw the sense in doing a nano at all until my state made Pseudo a schedule V drug and limited the amount one could purchase in any thirty day period. 

And you tell met that the LWR has passed its popularity peak?  When did that happen?  ;D  I don't care whether it is popular. It produces better dope than the other rP/I2 approaches. It just takes longer.

The long reflux should help degrade the polymers that carry over during extraction of the pseudo.  I can't say that the shorter cooks are any better than before; I've done a few this year, but my preference is still for the reflux.

ChemoSabe

Kicked by a Dead Horse
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2004, 03:25:00 AM »
Hey Ibee,

I didn't state that the PEG crisis was the actual source of the development of the LWR only the essential reason it first became popular. I think both Rhodium and Stonium had warned of it's great efficacy years before that only nobody seemed to care.

But once the PEG era came through many more ears opened to those earlier recommendations. (Initially Ibee were the ears which opened and then he became a one bee campaign to "spread the word". It did take some time but the word did indeed spread)

And Geez, you were ahead of the pack on the extraction front with your waterless A/B which but I think tyvek was still the hippest (read as widespread and popular) new form of extraction when the new PEGs hit. Whoever discovered that a panning style rinse of the psuedo with acetone could get enough of the PEG out for an LWR to do the rest was a godsend.

This tecnique (tyvek/tone rinse/LWR) also _fully_ defeated both brands of orange gakk and anything else introduced up to polysorbate 80. It was really nice for swim's buddy to not have to make any adaptations whatsoever once the Orange Gakks came thru. He actually had troule comprehending why so many were have trouble with the OG's when tyvek/panning tone rinse/LWR had already been quite established.

Polysorbate 80 was a milestone gakkbitch though. But thank the meth gods for the techniques that clear that crap out.

It was only after swim's buddy was able to defeat PS80 that the short cooks again became a doable thing so in that regard he can almost thank the pill manufacturers for the introduction of PS80. It was also after that that there was never any shortage of pills available at the stores.

I think both PS80 and euradigit put most of the local cooks out of business.

Then came the huge new flood of sweet smelling mexican "nitro-rock" which only seems to grow by the day. The new gakks have been bad for the pseudo pill business but have been a huge boon to the Mexican cartels.

wareami

HIGH`O`Silver!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2004, 04:22:00 AM »
I didn't state that the PEG crisis was the actual source of the development of the LWR.

I knew that! :P
I felt it necessary to correct this following statement since PEG was never a problem for The Kidz.

Around 2 to 3 years ago there was a flood of newer varieties and concentrations of polyethylene glycol which was released into the pill gakking scene. This seemed to be the main motivating factor that got the LWR trend happeneing.

To which I replied.... ;)

As for the PEG issue being a primary motivator that lead the LWR's developement? Not so!

For many...Tween80 and PEG were sidestepable opponents with labor intense extractions, as Geez points out.

OrangeI and II gaaks were slightly more tricky but once the application of JD was employed, those too were kicked the curb until the formulations started to include bases in mix that fused the JD to the pfed. This was quickly followed by the eudragit infestations we see today.

Bees sure have come along way in few short years and I wonder just how much $$$, on the whole, bees have cost the industry by sidestepping their denaturants/adulterants along the way. :P

ChemoSabe

Geez Helps Kick the Dead Horse Again
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »
I forgot that to defeat either OG2 or something similar which appeared almost a year ago swim's buddy had to add Geezmeisters xylene precip trick to the olde tyvek/acetone pan rinse/LWR formula. Then came the dreaded PS80 era.

It's nice to know now that if swim's buddy can't be using up that stove space for a full two days straight that a shorter duration can still do the trick again.

PS. Swim's buddy has still not ventured to experiment with Nippon Dryer. I think "whatever works first" is how he decides what to stick with and something else always worked before he was cornered into trying it. I think he was the only one left still having good results with tyvek at the dawn of 2004.

PS2 - Beez on the whole have not cost the industry a dime in my book. They have _helped_ it to thrive massively. The industry is it's own worst enemy with their gakks. Just look how full those pseudo product shelves are now with the astounding success of ps80 and euradigit. This should signal to them that if they want the big profits they've got to release crackable pills.

Jacked

al in the mix
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2004, 04:17:00 PM »
Al in the mix don't do shit for a reaction but maybe at the end of it you wont haft to use as much NaOH to basify it.. It was said to kick start a slow starting reaction but heat is the kicker not the Al. If your reagents are in that poor a shape that your dumping Al in to kick start it you need to concentrate on the precursors a little closer and or try freebase pseudo instead of the HCl... There will be no need for kick starting that one...
 Back in the day If Swim thought worlock was wiping his ass with his thumb before a cook to ensure a good run he would have been doing the same thing over and over again. Swim would eventually learn that shitty thumbs have very little to do with reactions, even though it was still in print arcived some wear..

Ewok_Poacher

rp/i2 amounts
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 04:24:00 PM »
First I am lazy and only read the first post so if anyone has said this or changed the topic , I dont know about it. Swim has found that it is better safe than sorry. Buy the extra box of matchbooks and bottle of tinct. Swim uses a little more mbrp than he has Psuedo and uses 1:1 i2:E. This is probably excessive but I am positive it's not to little. The RP you get back and I2 is easy if you drive the extra distance to find 7% tinct, however psuedo isnt easy. So swim says use extra easy stuff to make sure none of the hard shit is wasted.

wimpy

Just one more to be sure, as i'm still a lousy
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »
Just one more to be sure, as i'm still a lousy newbee:
Is it possible to use a balloon as a condenser also in a small (say, 5g E) HDR?

I read a lot on LWR, HDR, the differences and so on, but i still get no grasp of the mechanism (more the physical stuff) behind a push/pull reaction especially in case of meth(er ... are there others? i think so?). What are those setup's good for? i mean, i don't doubt the use of all that things, i simply do not understand what's exactly going on there. Are those aparatus (like those tied together gas cannisters or those tube connected glass vessels) needed to compensate the resulting pressure, to collect parts of the reaction or ... doh?

Any advice appreciated(especially on the balloon thing, as there isn't much e to waste left! :))

yes, i know, this should be in the newbee forum if anywhere, but as there's still the lex meth-posts-to-stim-forum i ask it here ...

geezmeister

use a hose too
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 11:54:00 PM »
Five grams is probably pushing the limits for endurance of most balloons attached to a flask neck. Use a short length of hose and put a fan blowing on the hose. Attach the balloon to the hose, the hose to the flask... the balloon will last the reaction most likely.

Push-pull units are gas traps that help limit odors from the reaction. They also steal HI from the reaction which led to most push pull people using more precursors than needed for a LWR. Don't get me wrong. You can make good meth with a properly done push-pull. I've done it too many times to deny it. You can make better meth at your level of experience by a long wet reflux. Use the ratios I recommend or those Ware recommends, or those VideoEditor recommends.

There is a range of variables to this reaction. The ratios are interdependent with the length of the reaction and its temperature; variations in the quality of the precursors affect the actual ratios in the flask. There is not a single correct way to do this reaction. There is a envelope of success that stretches with time from short to long, with temperature from low to high, with the amount of water and the quality and ratio of the precursors.

There are also as may ways to fall outside the envelope of success as there are ways to fall within it. For now, pick your method and follow the advice of the individual bee whose method you have chosen to use. Follow that bee's method from Go to Whoah without deviation. Whether its Placebo's method, or Jacked's, Worlock's, Ware's, Video Editor's, Scottydog's, Barkingburro's, Squidippy's, Curbshot's, mine, or any of a hundred other successful bees who have posted their methods here... pick one and follow it.

After a few hundred times you'll have a good enough feel for the reaction to play with ratios and times, water, temperature, etc. But if you are going to do it, just do it. You won't learn how it really works until you do it. You can read every post in the forum and you won't understand it at all until you've done a few of them. You will fail now and again, and if you are working dry and fast, you will fail as often as not at first.

To shorten the learning curve, pick a method and follow the advice for that method from start to finish.

I strongly recommend the long wet reflux to you, at your level of experience. I recommend it heartily to everyone, particularly newbees. It has the widest envelope of success with the best yield of the purest product of any method you will employ using red phosphorous and iodine. And that isn't an opinon, its a fact. If you want a tweaky product, keep it dry and start it hot. You'll have more failures, but the cranksters will buy all you can make. They enjoy peeking out of window blinds and hearing voices of people who aren't there.

I'd rather just do meth, myself.