Author Topic: propane as inert atmosphere?  (Read 3635 times)

xxxxx

propane as inert atmosphere?
« on: May 14, 2004, 06:55:00 PM »

Rhodium

Insane idea!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 08:14:00 PM »
Propane is far from inert - it is a major explosion hazard! The added sulfur compounds are added for you to become alarmed by the fact that some of the gas has escaped into the room.

xxxxx

what i meant was...
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 10:20:00 PM »
since many reactions involve hot volatile organic liquids which are at least equally as flammable as propane, i am assuming that it would be possible to avoid igniting the propane accidentally. for safety the propane could be passed through two wash bottles and burned, if it could not be released to the atmosphere. i did not mean to suggest it would be appropriate to fill an enclosed space with the entire contents of a propane cylinder. what i wanted to ask is if it not possible to obtain a cylinder of nitrogen or argon (and the guys selling those cylinders know what they are being used for) which reactions could use propane instead to exclude oxygen.

methyl_ethyl

assumption
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 12:02:00 AM »
i am assuming that it would be possible to avoid igniting the propane accidentally

Regardless, propane creates explosive atmospheres at quite low concentrations I think around 2% lower limit, (wild guess).

Never use explosive gases for inert atmospheres.

Period

Barium

Sure
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »
Propane is inert towards many reactions. You can use hydrogen as a inert gas too. It is just a matter of knowing what you are doing. But for any of your applications what is the problem using nitrogen? It is pretty much as fuck up-proof as you can get.

for safety the propane could be passed through two wash bottles and burned
You have obviously not worked with inert enviroment considering the kind of flow-rate you are suggesting. So, on second thought, do invest in a nitrogen tank. If not for the sake of your neighbourhood.

ning

I like the idea
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 06:57:00 AM »
crazy though it may be.

Some reactions will react with nitrogen. Things dealing with metallic lithium, I guess. Anyway, it's OTC, and you do have a fume hood, right? ::)

The explosive limits in air for propane are 2.1 - 9.5 %.

Honestly, I wouldn't consider a propane blanket any more dangerous than a refluxing grignard. Ether's pretty explosive too. Explodes in concentrations of 1.7 - 48 % with air. Much more explosive.

Anyway, hazardous, but I think something worth knowing 8)

foxy2

if it not possible to obtain a cylinder of...
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »
if it not possible to obtain a cylinder of nitrogen or argon (and the guys selling those cylinders know what they are being used for)

Yes, Argon is very commonly used for mig/tig welding.  Nitrogen is used to charge tasty kegs of Stout, ala Guiness. I don't know what "guys" your talking about, but thats what the guys in my world think. 

And the other alternate is Helium, which as we all know is only used by clandistine chemists as an inert atmosphere, stay away from that one!!!