Author Topic: Benzyl Chloride -> Phenylacetic Acid  (Read 3754 times)

benzoateFan

Benzyl Chloride -> Phenylacetic Acid
« on: July 12, 2004, 08:57:00 AM »

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/phenylacetic.html

after looking at that Synthesis the refrence left is JACS 54, 647 (1932)
I wanted to know What setup i need Exactly to operate that  Synthesis IE. Glassware... Apperatus setup and so forth please any help would be appreciated also if i check that refrence out will it tell me the physical setup i need???
Thankyou

12cheman12

Just by reading that post you can work out...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 09:07:00 AM »
Just by reading that post you can work out excatly what you need.
If you cant tell what you need by reading that then i guess you shouldnt be attempting it.

benzoateFan

where the hell does it say exactly what kind...
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 09:10:00 AM »
where the hell does it say exactly what kind of glassware and setup i need made up, i did read it and if ur so clever why dont u point it out rahter then making comments like that, the whole reason its written is for people thats never done it b4!

Rhodium

Standard glassware for Grignard reaction
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »
the whole reason its written is for people thats never done it b4!

No, that is incorrect. It is written for people with prior experience with chemistry.

This book is excellent for people who want to learn about organic chemistry equipment and reactions:

A.I. Vogel's "Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry" (3rd Ed.)

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/vogel3.html)

Standard glassware for the Grignard reaction you are aiming for:

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~bacher/CHEM174/glassware/reaction.html

benzoateFan

Thankyou rhodium, i appreciate that, im ...
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »
Thankyou rhodium, i appreciate that, im actually gonna get that book u suggested.... again that link was helpful, so is that the only setup whats needed in conjuction with ur synthesis posted on ur site ???

thankyou again...

Rhodium

Suggested Reading
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 02:54:00 PM »
For the preparation of phenylacetic acid from benzyl chloride, the glassware in the picture (and the hotplate/stirrer) is the equipment you need, plus assorted beakers, spare flasks and measuring cylinders.

For further syntheses of P2P and other things from the phenylacetic acid you might need additional equipment, but that's another story.

Regarding books, make sure you get Zubrick's excellent book "The Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual" which is a must for the chemistry beginner - Read an excerpt from the book here:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/equipment/distillation4dummies.html

benzoateFan

sorry about the email Rhodium...
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 08:13:00 AM »
sorry about the email Rhodium...

ok the grignard reaction proccess is for the synthesis of Benzoic Acid not PAA (according to Vogel III)

Phenylacetic acid synthesis goes as follows:

5.g of magnesium,   25g (23ml) of redistilled benzyl chloride and 75ml of sodium dried ether is used.

must allow the eraction mixture to warm to 15 celcius and decompose it with diluted hydrochloric acid . filter of the crude acid and re-cyrstallise it from water to give pure PAA melting point of 76-77 degrees C.... 11grams

WizardX

Benzylmagnesium chloride
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 05:10:00 AM »
Benzylmagnesium chloride

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv1p0471

In a dry 3-l. flask, fitted with a mercury-sealed stirrer, a 500-cc. dropping funnel, and a condenser provided at its upper end with a drying tube containing a mixture of calcium chloride and soda-lime (Note 1), is placed 48.6 g. (2 atoms) of magnesium turnings. There are then added 200 cc. of dry ether, a small crystal of iodine, and about 25 cc. of a solution of 253 g. (230 cc., 2 moles) of freshly distilled benzyl chloride in 1 l. of dry ether. If the reaction does not start at once, the flask is partially immersed in a bath containing water heated to about 40°. As soon as the ether begins to boil, and reaction sets in, the bath is removed and stirring is commenced. The remainder of the benzyl chloride in ether can be added during the course of one-half hour if the reaction is regulated by cooling the greater part of the flask by immersion in ice water (Note 2). The reaction will continue for about fifteen minutes after all the benzyl chloride has been added, and then the mixture is refluxed gently for about fifteen minutes.

1. The function of the calcium chloride and soda-lime is to absorb any moisture and carbon dioxide which might diffuse into the reaction flask. The deleterious effect of another constituent of the atmosphere, oxygen, may be decreased by first sweeping out the flask with dry nitrogen or hydrogen. The initial use of a dry inert atmosphere may also be supplemented by the use of a trap1 to exclude the air, particularly in those operations requiring extensive periods.

zero_nrg

As a neophyte this was one of the first ...
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 09:00:00 PM »
As a neophyte this was one of the first reactions I attempted.  My lab ceiling still bears the pale yellow scars as a runaway reaction (even with ice bath) blasted through the reflux condenser and drying tube and on to the ceiling (imagine the stench).  In my haste I actually blasted the ceiling twice with runaway reactions.  The experimental instructions were then carefully re-read and noticed that the benzyl chloride/ether is supposed to be dripped in slowly and not added all at once :)  Third time around worked like a charm.  Didn´t use the iodine btw, just heating seemed to work ok.  The Grignard is great. Be cautious with the ether.  -zero