Author Topic: Again... another easy method for making HI  (Read 3204 times)

ADDkid

Again... another easy method for making HI
« on: October 31, 2003, 02:25:00 PM »

biotechdude

Re: Again... another easy method for making HI
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 05:02:00 PM »
I'll put in a comment to get things started...

Aliphatic Ketone - A ketone that is characterized by a straight or branched chain arrangement of the carbon atoms as opposed to cyclic or ring arrangements found in other ketones

Acetone is an aliphatic ketone, so maybe it is not suitable.

A large portion of ketone reactions have to take place under acid catalyst.  Which reaction of ketones is this? 

Adding iodine produces HI?...gas, (aq)..? How is one to remove this from the reaction system.

I am asking these questions because i don't have the answers at the moment; and you were quite vague in your comments ADD (prob with good reason).

I doubt this 'easy HI' is as simple as add acetone to HCL solution, add iodine, watch as clean 57% HI (aq) appears in collection flask.  If more advanced, such things are not too hard for myself, and i'm very interested to see where this thread leads...

ADDkid

Mechanism
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 06:29:00 PM »
Go to my website, it would be up no longer than 24hrs, open the Mechanism, or download it , so you can take the time to study it. I am sure it is right. Yours truly , ADDkid

http://Homechemist.hopto.org

ADDkid

Being aromatic or not does not really have...
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 09:09:00 PM »
Being aromatic or not does not really have much to do with it I think honestly,  Because non-aromatic ketones react with Br2, and Br is a worst electrophile than iodine, so that would make sense, but I could be wrong, and eager to find more infomation on this.  In the mean time I will quote a little verse from a basic organic chemistry book.    "If Br2, Cl2, or I2 is added to an acidic solution of an aldehyde or a ketone, a halogen will replace one of the A-hydrogens of the carbonyl compound." Pg 823 Organic chemistry Second edition Paula Yurkanis Bruice

BOS

Whilst I apreciate your input and disagree...
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 09:23:00 PM »
Whilst I apreciate your input and disagree with the rating on the above post,I ask that you not be so High and Mighty when it comes to sharing info that may be new to you,but may not be to others.It is not needed,and as you can see it is no way to get a point across.Be humble in your presentation and people might take some interest.

Under certain conditions HI can be formed using many a Hydrocarbon compound.

As you touched on carbon,I`d like to remind you that simple activated carbon can be used to generate HI from iodine/KI H2O,EtOh,H3PO4 ect and a few others with .Direct reduction over platinum.Rosin/Gum Turpentine ect. H+ ions in a diveded cell.The list goes on.
Many,many less familier options documented here,the problems arise with the purification and application.
So dont treat us all like ignorant fucks.We do appreciate new things,just notice them more when they are presented nicer like.

The H+ is covered.Find me a new source of I and Ill be greatfull.

End whinge ;)  :P

ADDkid

platinum.Rosin/Gum Turpentine ect?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2003, 10:34:00 PM »
You try and do that, and see how sucessful you are, making H+ is a pretty fucking hard thing to do, while chemical complanies, even find it hard to do using metal cat.  The proposal, I have mention is really easy, the product must be distilled, my pride comes only because I get to much shit from noobs, I have taking the time to read organic books, go to class, go to lab, and study methods, and other tech. while most just steal ideas or pretend to know something, when in fact they know shit, I will act nice when bees act nice to me. Yours truly ADDkid

ahgreich

sodium sulfite + i2 + h20+mild heat
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 10:48:00 PM »
this makes HI nicely.