Author Topic: Any SWIM's ever try this?  (Read 3133 times)

Drug_Phreak

Any SWIM's ever try this?
« on: July 20, 2004, 11:12:00 PM »

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/rpbible.html

How could 200 match boxes get you 10,000 pads? At the most you would have 400. How did your RP turn out? Is this really worth doing?

Anonymium

THINK!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 11:35:00 PM »
He's talking about paper match books. They come 50 to a box and 200 boxes makes 10000 striker pads. You can get them for less then $1/box. I don't know about using a 5 gallon bucket though, most I've seen are made of plastic and I've found plastic and acetone to be a bad combination. But then they have a lot of differant plastic products out there so maybe, don't try styrafoam.

Drug_Phreak

Oh Yeah.... Doh! That's what I get for staying
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 12:42:00 AM »
Oh Yeah.... Doh! That's what I get for staying up for 3 days.  ;)  For some reason I kept thinking about kitchen matches. SWIM has a lot of large glass containers just begging to be used.  :)

moo

Most buckets are made of polyethene, at least...
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 12:53:00 AM »
Most buckets are made of polyethene, at least where I come from. It's resists acetone quite well actually, HDPE better than LDPE though.

barkingburro

you are looking at it wrong
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 01:26:00 AM »
200 match book boxes (i.e. kitchen matches) or 10,000 matchbook strikers. its an either or sort of thing not. and swibbs done this a few times with modification. be prepared for a messy ordeal. and do the acid boils outside or under a fume hood (which isn't too likely).

wareami

Hailing....
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 03:04:00 PM »
Ware Ibee and the Kidz Hail from...(Ohhhh Hail!), kitchen safety matches are stickmatches and come in a box with two strikers on the box sides.
The RP is stamped on the sides in a honeycomb type pattern.
About 1 inch by 4 inches in length.
Looks Like so....
Regular matches given to smokers are the bookmatches.
There seems to be more bang for the buck by buying the book matches considering the price.
US$2.50 for a 3box set of kitchen matches(that's 6 strikers per purchase) and produces a little more than half of what one would get by scraping a 50book box of regular bookmatches(~US$1.00)

Shane_Warne

matches
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
In Oz, the most common form are safety matches that wareami describes.

matchbooks are not common, they're normally used in restaurants, motels etc.

The safety matches here are pretty cheap, I think 1AUD for a 10pak stack from memory, at supermarkets. Several brands available.

The books don't have much RP, the safety kitchen matches do, even though theyr'e honey combed.

I've got a box of safety matches from back in the early eighties (I'd guess), it's magnificant, there's way more RP on it. The matches strike better, it feels soft when striking sort of.

abominator

Election Matches
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 09:55:00 PM »
A common practice in swim's area is that local candidates give out matches in hopes of votes from the smoker.  These are book matches of the type Wareami described above.

Swim still has access to these "election" matches, ones that were never given away or from candidates that never won.

Losing candidates are usually looking to get rid of their book matches.   Sometimes they have the black striker pad.  Dreamers should not even waste time on these as the RP is little and seems to have alot more trash/glass in it.

Just thought that might bee a place bees are not looking.

barkingburro

personally
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 10:10:00 PM »
swibb goes for the kitchen matchbox if he is forced to resort to this. reason? well around ehre 3 boxes are 1.44 at the local 24/7, and ion the camping section swibb has also found saftey matchs 5 mini boxes to the packe for also around 1.50, these boxes seemed to have more rp than other mathboxes. swibb has not tried them. why does swibb prefer the boxes over the books? they are just less work to deal with AND you get all of the wonderful matchsticks to have fun with while the reflux is going. :D

biotechdude

Corporate Logo
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 02:47:00 AM »
If Bees are having trouble getting decent quantities of mbRP, look around for those 'Corporate Logo' companies that put your logo onto shitty stiff hats, mugs, pens and, yes you guessed it - match books and boxes.  Ask for a 'sample' to test the RP content...

Easy to order it by the (big) box; but of course ensure u have a proper logo and LOOK like a business.

NaXen

another place bees might consider..
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
In swims city, they have wholesale suppliers for stores and such who carry cases of matches for a fairly reasonable price. most places do not require you to set up an account, but anybee could setup an account with swims name or something if it was necessesary.