Author Topic: My last MBRP Post, The easiest way!!!!  (Read 8313 times)

ADDkid

My last MBRP Post, The easiest way!!!!
« on: January 03, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »
MBRP is a pain in the ass to deal with; Swig has done different things like acetone, which I wrote up about. (By the way I never said that acetone mixes with water).  Acetone is a bitch to deal with, what you end up with is a big headache, and really fucking broke. The following is exactly how swig does it:

12 50 book packages are collected.  Swig then tears off the paper back of one pack at a time, which takes about 15 min for each package, although can be done faster with other people.  Then before going to another case, swig nicely cuts just the red strip off with scissors.  You don’t have to do it this way, you can do it all at once for each part, I just do it this way because the change of things keeps swig from getting too bored.  Also try to watch a movie when you are doing this, goes by faster.  Also make sure you don’t have a lot of paper left off the red strips, it will absorb all the solvent.
Now the strips are put in a standard Pyrex tray.  I put 50 strips at one time.  Then cover with IPA, for 5-10 min.  Swig then uses his finger to remove the red.  This is done twice (2 packs) before dumping the fluid and MPRP in a 150mL beaker that I will deal with later.  I was able to do this with only one bottle of IPA.  After the first six packs are done, I warm, and scrap the shit and dirty red.  Don’t worry, this looks like shit, but she will hold her head up again.  Once the 12 packs or done, take a razor blade and just go at it for a while trying to make the red into many particles.  Then you will need to put this in a flask with HCl.  You could let it sit for 2 hours, I let mine sit for about 4 days, I like the pure shit.  Now do this with some diluted H2SO4, sit for a day or so,(at least that is what I do).  Rinse with water.  You will notice that the fluid is easily decanted off without taking the Red P. with it.  Do this until the water is clear.  Does acetone wash, followed by much D-H2O, and now you got the good shit. ADDkid  Final Yield 6 grams of the cleanest that can possibly be made from MP.

kris_1108

Cool
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 10:08:00 AM »
Cool ADDkid thanks for the info.
Ill have to give it a go, this is my current procedure.

*Cut off strikers

*Put 'em in a jar with methylated spirits (easily available and just $3/lt here in oz)

*Shake like fuck. Swap arms and shake like fuck again.

*Shake with your feet once your arms get tired (optional)

*Poor the whole lot out into a breakfast type bowl

*Quickly pull em out one by one , if theres a bit of rp on them, sit it flat near the rim of the bowl and rub it with your trusty finger, then soughta dunk it in to rinse it. (These are big strikers, ~20mmx70mm)

*Pour all of this into a beaker. And rinse the last bit outta the bowl into the beaker with metho

*Put the beaker on a hotplate and let the solution boil for a few mins , then let it cool. Not all of the rp will settle, so, decant through 2x coffe filters. They will catch a fair bit, tear them flat and squirt the rp off, through the funnel & back down into the beaker using a pipette with acetone in it

*do the same as prev. step but boil in acetone, and do the pipette thing again but with dh20 in the pipette

*do a hcl boil. dilute the hcl to 3x original amount, AFTER the hcl boil

*do a water boil, but put acetone (& not dh20) in the pipette when you squirt off the rp from the dh20 boil/filter process

*add a bit more acetone, swirl around and dump into pyrex dish or bowl or something

*add a bit more acetone to the beaker and swirl and add to the dish

*let it settle, the acetone should bee clean and clear (thats the way you want your skin to be)

*pour most of the acetone off, (i find it hard pouring shit slowly from a pyrex dish)

*let it dry, loosen it with scraper, powder it with a light bulb or a testube or something

*store in some thing suitable (i use a testube with a stopper)

*now resist the tempation; throw it in the bin, with the peace of mind knowing that you personally know how to extract rp off matchboxes

I used 16 tripple packs, (48 boxes), cost $AUD24 all up and got 9gms of babypowder rp which will fire without heat

This procedure sounds fully time consuming but its not really that bad; it wont take a whole day or anything.

livid

mbrp
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2004, 08:57:00 AM »
what is the acid for? does't the tone remove the glue? doesn't the ipa remove the rp from the paper? if you rub with your finger anyways, there is no need to soak. it comes right off without soaking. all soaking does is contaminates your rp with paper. then you need acid to eat up your paper. that method you speak of is for huge quantities, when it would take to much time to rub each striker.

weaz1dls

4 days!?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 10:16:00 AM »
Here get it done in about 2-3 hours

Post 470733

(weaz1dls: "HCl", Stimulants)

:o

wareami

Suggestion...
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 06:01:00 PM »
Bees might find that denatured alky contains "Rubber Solvent" and it works wonders on cleaning MBRP in combo woth acetone.
70% denat
30% tone
Final rinse with tone

Ultrasonic Cleaner
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 07:42:00 PM »
I cut my strips down to just the striker, load them into a fine jewelry cleaning screen set them down in the ultrasonic with IPA turn it on. After about 15 minutes all of the red has fell of the paper I remove the screen with the paper in it decant and evap the ISA and scrape up the red. I will finish with a water wash. I dont like using acids cause I think it has crashed my cooks. I like using Alky mainly so I dont turn into a zombie from huffing acetone fumes and I hate wearing a respirator for all that time.

CharlieBigpotato

the hardest way?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 04:14:00 PM »

wareami

Oh you bees are funny!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 05:33:00 PM »
Yeah....you laugh! It's funny isn't it?
It's easy for you to say, your a !
Teach all the bees to make the best recreational drug on the planet and then make fun of `em when they can't clean their matchbooks anymore cause their all toothless now!

Just kiddin....hehehehe!

$350 an OZ for MBRP on the street, $55 for the
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »
$350 an OZ for MBRP on the street, $55 for the 500g of Lab Grade rp. Only problem is swim does not have the balls to ask for it she has an account but she just deals with electroplating and gold refining.

ADDkid

I promise this is the last post on Phosphorus RED
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 03:17:00 AM »
(Work-up after acid conditions are used to clean MBRP)

Commerical red phosphorus is usually contaminated with small quantities of acidic products.  It should be boiled for 15 minutes with distilled water, allowed to settle, decanted through a Buchner funnel and then washed two or three times with boiling water by decantation.  Finally the phosphorus is completely transferred to the Buchner funnel and washed with hot water until the washings are neutral.  It is dried at 100 C, and kept in a desiccator or in a tightly stoppered bottle.  Vogel,  "Practical Organic Chemistry"  5th Edition.  ADDkid 
P.S. I swear to fucking God this is the last fucking post on Red Phosphorus I ever write.

SHORTY

Whats wrong with acids?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 06:19:00 AM »
Commerical red phosphorus is usually contaminated with small quantities of acidic products.

The acid won't cause any problems in a HI rxn.  Hypophosphorous acid is what reacts with the iodine to make HI.  It then oxidizes to phosphorous acid and then phosphoric acid.  The rp acts sort of like a time release pill formulation by releasing the Hypo at a very slow rate.

A little Hcl on the rp won't hinder the rxn.

ADDkid

There is fault in you theory, for example HI...
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 07:30:00 AM »

SHORTY

Ok, so then how do hypo rxns work?
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »
Why do hypophosphorous acid rxns work?

ADDkid

I don't know the entire properties of Hypo,...
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »

Rhodium

Happy now?
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2004, 09:26:00 PM »
Think about it, if I was wrong I think they would have given me bad karma by now

Happy now?

SHORTY

Hmmmm,
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2004, 09:29:00 PM »
I have done my studying and have presented my opinions based on what i have both read and actually tried.  I know that hcl didn't hinder any of my rxns when i used rp. 

P.S.  When doing the RP/I2 reaction, it would be best to put in the p-fed with iodine, and then add the RP, with the min. of water, if no water at first is possible that would be best, but swig has never tried.  You should not make the HI first.

Well i guess this statement is based on hands on experience right?  Cause, if its not then maybe you should read some of the post by some of the respected bees namely WizardX.

ADDkid

I am sorry but you guys are wrong, the rxn...
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2004, 10:47:00 PM »
I am sorry but you guys are wrong, the rxn starts with PI3, I don't care about bad karma anymore, I only care about chemistry.  I don't even feel like wasting my time to prove that you are wrong.  But if you search you will find" ADDkid

P.S.  Just fucking think about it, If the reaction starts with PI3 reacting with the OH to form a halophosphite, it only makes since that you would want that to happen.  I work in a college chemistry lab, and we use BP3 all the time and that has always been taught that way. I never said that it was a must, I was merly giving a suggestion, more then most can in this forum, as it seems. ADDkid

P.S.  How do you know that it did not hinder you reaction.  Your yields might have been better if the HCl was not present on the RP.  There is know way to know.  Also, you are right I have tried this so I would not know!!!!!!!!!but swig has tried both ways!

Rhodium

Your theory does not fit reality at all...
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2004, 11:53:00 PM »
The reaction is routinely performed in a solution containing excess 57% hydriodic acid. Another smidgen of any acid present on the RP is a drop in the ocean...

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/meth.hi-p.html

Post 415909 (missing)

(Rhodium: "Red Phosphorous isn't a catalyst!", Stimulants)

Post 403712

(Rhodium: "more pathways", Stimulants)

ADDkid

Rhodium, master bee..
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2004, 12:47:00 AM »
Rhodium, master bee.. the HI is the reducing agent.  Once the halophospite is completly oxidized and yelding 3 moles of iodoephrine, the HI with heat gives H2 and the Iodine that gives the 2 hydrogens combines with the iodine on the ephrine.  giving I2 that can further react with Phos, that is in the solution. I see what you are saying when you say that Phos is the reduceing agent but HI in my opinon and the lit. that I have read suggest that HI is truly the part of the reduceing.

Rhodium

Semantics
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2004, 03:45:00 AM »
Yes, either HI, PI3, HPOI2 or H2PO2I can turn ephedrine to iodoephedrine.

But if you have no HI in the reaction to begin with, only I2 and either RP/H3PO3/H3PO2, then you must agree that it is the Phosphorus-containing compound which ulimately harbors the actual reduction potential (as I2 certainly isn't the reducing species).

It's a fact that HI is produced in the reaction, but only as a reactive intermediate - it was never there to begin with, and you can perform a reduction with less than the required amount of HI as long as you have enough recyclant (RP etc.) present.

Enough semantics and hair-splitting. How about responding to what I said about acids not inhibiting the reaction instead?