Author Topic: Waterless A/B Bee-Boo  (Read 2464 times)

dctrax

Waterless A/B Bee-Boo
« on: March 08, 2004, 08:34:00 PM »
SWIM was dreaming of the waterless a/b and at step six (adding non-polar to the pill paste) decided that more non-polar was needed but reached for the acetone instead.  Now her dream involves a beaker with pill paste, xylene and acetone.  SWIM is wondering if she has made a big bee-boo or a little bee-boo.

WmPerry

no boo-hoo
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 12:41:00 AM »
not a prob, just suck up the excess acetone and proceed. I dont even know that you have to do that, actually. just for neatness, then. i believe all is well, proceed at will.

Bail a while, I'll row

geezmeister

no problem
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 07:31:00 AM »
Some acetone should not be a problem, at least if were dried beforehand. Just extract with xylene and add the acetone to the combined volumes of nonpolar. Titrate the nonpolar for your pseudo. If you have any problems with yield, put the nonpolar on the hotplate and heat it gently until you evaporate the acetone off.

dctrax

Thanks for the relief.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »
Thanks for the relief.  On a side note, is Xylene safe in a plastic Coke bottle?  SWIM had always used lighter fluid per the CSN but this time is using Xylene instead.

kris_1108

Fine
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 12:25:00 AM »
Hi
Xylene will bee fine in a plastic coke bottle. Just keep it upright if possible, and out of extreme heat (like the boot of a car  ::) ). The blue plastic seal undr the lid goes a bit funny but I don't think that is an issue.
Have fun
Seeya