Author Topic: after steam dist of rp  (Read 3158 times)

redflow

after steam dist of rp
« on: January 28, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »

SHORTY

What???????
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 07:33:00 PM »

kris_1108

More
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 10:18:00 PM »
Hi
Steam distilling RP?
Could you please give more information on your problem

ChemoSabe

Post Rxn
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 11:07:00 PM »
This info is given for your theoretical 2nd reaction as it's not possible to tell what you've actually done considering the lack of detail in what you've said. But maybe you can also diagnose your potential problem yourself with this too.
-----------------------------------------------
This is to be applicable to a reaction that has completed and has already been removed from the hot plate.

After the flask cools filter out RP through 3 prewetted unbleached coffee filters

Boil a small amount (20ml +-) of fresh dH20 in the flask which still most likely reeks of HI gas. This water is to rinse the remaining freebase containing reaction "klingons" from both the reaction flask and the RP. Once water comes to a boil let it cool for a minute and (wearing gloves) stopper the flask, shake it well then pour the hot water over the used and dirty rp sitting in the coffee filters.0

(if you can now remember to clean the rp before it dries this is actually the best time to get the rp ready for the next rxn - before it fully dries that is)

Wash the post rxn aqueous solution 3x (or more if a mid to dark orange color persists) with your first tries at this ramping down from 200, 150 to 100ml of fresh xylene. You'll learn by observation to gauge the xylene amounts to use yourself. A sep funnel is highly advantageous to use for this. Save the ugly used solvent as invariably traces of FB loaded water go along with the waste and will someday yeild you a quick "rainy day batch" without the initial hassle of the full cook.

Now slowly and steadily base up the now relatively iodo-decontaminated solution with Sodium Hydroxide (AKA Lye, AKA NaOH) to a pH of 11 in the presence of 200ml+- hot naphtha. Personally I'd suggest the "ker plunk" method of doing this as it tends to assure good yeilds and sparse presence of emulsion-like phenomena.

Once the hot naphtha has been left to cool and to accept the migrating freebase for 15 to 30 (or more) minutes, separate it from the based-up solution and then wash 3x with dH2O in sep funnel to remove residual lye and other water soluble impurities tagging along for the ride. 

Now it's your choice to either gas or titrate the freebase loaded naphtha to obtain the final hydrochloric salt. (then recrystallize)

I'm guessing titration to be the order so make sure to have some muriatic at hand. Your going to have to look up the rest of this process (plus the recystallization) yourself if you don't already know it as this has already been an exaggerated spoonfeeding overload.

You mention possibly having distilled something. Since I have no experience with distilling anything as part of a post rxn workup I didn't include any info on that but I assure you that any answers concerning that line of questioning can be quickly found with the site's infamously mentioned search engine.