Author Topic: All Gakked up and nowhere to go!  (Read 3508 times)

damocles1971

All Gakked up and nowhere to go!
« on: February 26, 2004, 08:00:00 AM »
I really need help. I dreamt a dream of straight to E, at 85C gakk started to precipitate out. Will this go back into solution if it is continued to be heated to 105C like VE says. If this has been answered somewhere else, I can't find it. Anybee please help.

Osmium

Congratulations, you discovered the upper...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 09:14:00 AM »
Congratulations, you discovered the upper critical solution temperature phenomenon that certain compounds (like PEGs) exhibit. No, the shit most likely won't go into solution again. Take advantage of this phenomenon, and use it to remove the crap from the goodies.

DrLucifer

Am i missing something?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »
You dreamt a dream of straight to E?!
Apart from the fact that it almost rhymes, I have no idea what you are talking about!  ::)
I take it you are obviously boiling pfed pill mass, but what does that have to do with straight to E?
What solvent were you boiling your pill mass in?
I read the hive terminology but did i miss something??

livid

re: dr lucifer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 11:16:00 AM »
go to your links at the bottom of the page and hit the icon that will send you to rhodiums page. now read,and read, and read.

geezmeister

doing the STE?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 04:37:00 PM »
If you did the STE by the book, and at 85C some white precipitant began coming out, I would think from past experience you were seeing psuedo starting to precipitate. Pseudo does not precipitate out at 90C. By 90C all the pseudo will have precipitated out. You will see pseudo begin to precipitate out prior to 90C, as the alcohol content in the solution becomes too saturated to hold the pseudo HCl in solution. The naptha should hold the lower weight PEGS (i.e.PEG 400) in solution at the temperatures we discuss here.

Finish heating to 105C and filter hot, rinse with MEK or acetone.

Then, if you have questions about how clean it is, dissolve it in hot ISO and preciptitate it in fresh xylene or a mixture of fresh naptha and xylene. You will find that a "xylene clean" of STE extracted pseudo will remove most gakks that got through with the pseudo in the STE.

damocles1971

Gee thanks geez
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 11:25:00 PM »
Thanks for the help geez. SWIM did as told with "xylene clean" and ended up the "cotton candy". Disolved it all in hot alcohol and reran with Xy/VMP. Precip'd out. Rewashed and continued on with RXtal. Give it a few hours and we'll dream about Xtals in my vessel.

DrLucifer

Thank you SO MUCH livid!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 01:08:00 AM »
I dont goddamn believe it, that site is fukn awesome!!
I have never seen anything like it...i am in heaven!!
I take it the Rhodium guy in here is the same rhodium that archived that kickass site..?
My god where to begin, i cant begin to thank you enough!!!