Author Topic: Real-life Breaking Bad: Chemistry professor busted over secret lab  (Read 13787 times)

Offline ijontichy

• mascóns …
  • Pupae
Real-life Breaking Bad: Chemistry professor busted over secret lab
« on: September 14, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »
A former university chemistry professor and his son are facing criminal charges after police busted a "sophisticated, industrial scale clandestine lab" capable of producing 1.5 million ecstasy pills in New Brunswick.

Daniel Cozak, 66, and Charles Cozak, 26, were arrested yesterday in Lac-Baker, NB, and charged with conspiracy to produce an illegal substance and drug production.

Police raided multiple locations, including a cottage in Lac-Baker, where the alleged lab was discovered.

"The production capacity of the clandestine lab in Lac-Baker had the potential to have major negative impacts on communities across the country and possibly elsewhere", the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said in a news release. "The RCMP have seized the lab and police are in the process of dismantling it."

The case is sure to draw comparisons to the hit television show Breaking Bad, about a high school chemistry teacher turned crystallized methamphetamine kingpin.

The RCMP however, said they nipped the alleged New Brunswick operation in the bud, before it actually took products to market.

The elder Cozak used to teach chemistry at Laval University, in Quebec, where he lives.

He is listed as an instructor at Haward Technology Middle East, which provides training for the oil, gas and petrochemical industries. According to the profile on the company website, Cozak is a senior chemical consultant with over 30 years experience in the fields of analytical chemistry, catalyst technology, polymer and polymerization, and process engineering, to name a few.

"Aside from being a well-regarded professor at the University of Laval," the synopsis states, and a "well-regarded" member of the American Chemical Society, Canadian Institute of Chemistry, New York Academy of Sciences and the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineers, Cozak has held "significant positions" with different international companies. He holds degrees from McGill University in Montreal and the Technical University of Munich.

He and his son appeared in at the Grand Falls Provincial Court on Wednesday and were to be transferred back to Quebec. A 55-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man were also arrested in Quebec as part of the same investigation.

https://news.vice.com/article/sound-familiar-this-former-chemistry-professor-has-been-charged-in-a-sophisticated-drug-lab-bust

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/news/2015/9/two-men-charged-after-police-execute-search-warrant-drug-lab
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:21:05 PM by ijontichy »
if but for a single instant you could see this world of ours the way it really is—undoctored, unadulterated, uncensored—you would drop in your tracks!

Offline Lipbalm

• Donated!
  • Founding Wasp
Re: Real-life Breaking Bad: Chemistry professor busted over secret lab
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 03:28:02 PM »
Canada? He'll get 6 months lol
Any book you want for free:
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/

Any research paper you want for free:
sci-hub.cc

Offline thewire

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 04:07:32 PM »
http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Daniel_Cozak

His "product " must have been the best on the market.
They worked in a relative clean lab (compared to Mexicans), and used high tech equipments.
I doubt they managed to produce signficant amount of that lovely substance because everything in the lab seams brand new, bearly used.   

Offline Zippy

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »
Man look at that sweet reactor in the back.  Must be 200 L at least.

It says they found MDA (which they are calling ecstasy lol) so probably he was using a certain popular starting material.  i wonder what is in those buckets.  Look familiar to anyone, like an intermediate?

Offline Scarecrow

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 05:42:19 PM »
Have an definite inkling that those are buckets of amide
It's a war on personal freedom, that's what it is.

Offline AnyNameWillDo

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »
Have an definite inkling that those are buckets of amide

I was about to post the same thing!  Totally agree. 

How does that big reactor in the back work?  Like, can you reflux in that and it just handles the pressure build up or is it just a monster vessel that has heating and stirring...  Curious how condensation would work or if it's not for that and simply for stirring huge amounts at a specfic temperature..?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:54:17 PM by AnyNameWillDo »

Offline thewire

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 05:50:38 PM »
He must have developed an "ultra safe" method. In such a large scale any of our mentioned routes are extremly dangerous.
Working with hydroxylamine in kg quantities, well....... :-\
Maybe your are right guys.

Reading his papers, I am sure he had managed to develop  ( or find an existing one)  catalyst to make the reaction (if that is amide) safer.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:57:01 PM by thewire »

Offline Scarecrow

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 06:04:09 PM »
Hmmm I dont think thats neccisarily true. The zinc oxide one pot could be done safely, im 99% sure that whatever method he is using is probably one that we have discussed, he probably just has the chemical engineering skills to upscale it safely.

Offline Scarecrow

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 06:23:05 PM »
Hell even my one pot amide seems to be able to be done at low temps. The lab doesnt look THAT well equipped, the reactor is nice though. Its my dream to one day have some secret lab which is just decked out as fuck, steel top benches, nitrogen and vacuum taps on the bench, heaps of cupboards, rotary evaporators <3 <3

Offline thewire

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 06:24:49 PM »
The gray box (on top of that is a tray) is a heat exchanger.
https://uk.linkedin.com/company/sterling-thermal-techhnology-ltd
http://www.sterlingtt.com/

I don't see the condenser unit but it must be somewhere there.  I don't see a vacuum pump either. 
This sutup can be used for refluxing, cooling,  distilling (at normal pressure if he didn't have vacuum pump).
If I am not wrong.     

Offline ijontichy

• mascóns …
  • Pupae
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 06:28:33 PM »
Daniel Cozak, 66, and his son Charles, 26, were arrested at their secret laboratory on the shores of Lake Baker, along the Quebec-New Brunswick border. The lab contained drugs, the chemicals to manufacture them and weapons, AFP reported.

these two guys... looks like they are the original twodogs
I doubt that to be amide. Looks more like oxime to me... They were caught on the easiest part.
if but for a single instant you could see this world of ours the way it really is—undoctored, unadulterated, uncensored—you would drop in your tracks!

Offline thewire

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 06:35:20 PM »
The lab doesnt look THAT well equipped, the reactor is nice though.

It does look pretty cool to me , however it wouldn't beat this lab:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbq9nMYk3OQ

Offline ijontichy

• mascóns …
  • Pupae
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 06:51:27 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbq9nMYk3OQ

wow! this is EPIC shit!

Looks like our "Walter White" was more interested on Iran chemistry and Solid State Chemistry https://youtube.com/playlist?list=FL-7T9NO70L_F12qd2tEyhZQ

Offline Zippy

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 07:08:11 PM »
I think I can make out a glass set-up coming out of the top of the reactor, this is probably how he distilled off solvent and refluxed fumes.  At this scale you would want to be able to purify your material by slurrying and recrystalization, ideally telescoping procedures so you don't have to isolate products so much. 
He probably had a good procedure worked out on the kilo scale and was going to go large.  I wonder how he got caught. Some suspicious chemical order maybe?

Offline thewire

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 07:16:23 PM »
I wonder how he got caught. Some suspicious chemical order maybe?

100%

I am more interested in his motivation. He is a reputable chemistry, 6x years old, and start  setting up a mega xtc lab? It doesn't add up. He must have been very desperate for some reason  doing this.

Offline Lipbalm

• Donated!
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2015, 07:17:57 PM »
No need for all that equipment. That oxime can be made in a 17 gallon bucket you can buy at Kmart for $10 and a cheap $100 overhead stirrer.

And as for the hydroxylamine comment I have personally thrown several kg's of hydroxlamine in a bucket and then immediately thrown several kg's of lye in with it. Not a problem.

sci-hub.cc

Offline thewire

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2015, 07:23:52 PM »
No need for all that equipment.

Of course not. If one aim 99+ product, worth to invest decent  equipments (as other mega lab operators do in other countries).

Offline Lipbalm

• Donated!
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2015, 07:44:15 PM »

Of course not. If one aim 99+ product, worth to invest decent  equipments (as other mega lab operators do in other countries).

A couple A/Bs in a $2 bucket will acheive this purity assuming procedure is being run correctly and optimally.

sci-hub.cc

Offline ijontichy

• mascóns …
  • Pupae
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2015, 07:48:32 PM »
This reminds me of these lab's busts, two years ago:

A vast drugs laboratory was found hidden within the premises of a farm near Chimay, in southern Belgium. One Bulgarian arrested worked as the ‘chemist’ and was discovered locked inside the production facility, in a concealed fitted-out apartment. In total, two clandestine laboratories and two warehouses in Belgium were raided.

https://www.europol.europa.eu/content/police-discover-largest-synthetic-drugs-production-site-ever-found-eu

https://www.europol.europa.eu/content/largest-ecstasy-lab-ever-found-europe-dismantled

Offline Scarecrow

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 08:00:43 PM »
See I would have very little idea on how to rig up all of this large scale equipment, then again I guess you could probably learn via the internet. Perhaps a chemical engineering degree would teach you this sort of thing

Offline thewire

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2015, 08:08:46 PM »
See I would have very little idea on how to rig up all of this large scale equipment, then again I guess you could probably learn via the internet. Perhaps a chemical engineering degree would teach you this sort of thing

These labs are operated by organised crime groups. Usually 5+ members. You wouldn't able to do it own your own, don't even plan it.
Most of these labs are run by a non skilled workers by the way.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:45:49 PM by thewire »

Offline AnyNameWillDo

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2015, 08:13:33 PM »
How do you know that?  (about the unskilled workers)  That somewhat surprises me...  I mean it's not rocket science, but I don't know if I see unskilled workers making the product I've seen that was coming out of that group from Belgium and the surrounding area that got busted.  And if it was... Maybe that just changes the way I think about the term "unskilled".  :P

Offline Zippy

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 08:16:09 PM »
Probably trained, fairly well at that, to follow a batch record, but not having a PhD.

Offline Scarecrow

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 08:18:45 PM »
I guess all you really need is one chemical engineer/scientist to work out the fine details of what reaction your going to use, what precursors and how the machinery needs to be handled. I guess once you have this equipment set up its literally a matter of just following instructions

Add XX amount of XX chemical into Reactor A, heat for this long

Tip contents of this reactor into this reactor B add this chemical etc etc

Offline ijontichy

• mascóns …
  • Pupae
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 08:20:17 PM »
Perhaps a chemical engineering degree would teach you this sort of things.

You do learn all environmental products and processes, technology lines, basically you learn everything from powder to pill, not to mention industrial fermentation, from L-PAC to using cells such as micro-organisms (Claviceps Spp.). The only problem is timing.

Offline Zippy

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 08:29:59 PM »
These gangs have been doing this since the 90's.  That bust in 2013 was a sassy lab.  The know how to O2 whack and H2 reduce from years of practice.  One lab gets busted - another one is up and running and 2 more are in the works.  They get some guys but the demand and profits are so big, the knowledge so widespread, it is impossible to stop.  The precursors for the next ton are already on the boat.  They just move to another location, next time on Czech or wherever.  Or just set up again down the street.  It is like the tunnels they find under the US border with Mexico.  They serve their purpose and then they move on.  Or the narco coke subs.  One gets through is like $3 billion of product for a $100 million dollar sub.   These labs are the same way, cheap equipment, bulk precursors, take one down another one will pop up.

Offline ijontichy

• mascóns …
  • Pupae
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 08:53:47 PM »
You're probably right Zippy, but with all money, with all knowledge and with all chemicals, in the end the most important factor is LUCK.

The man who said "I'd rather be lucky than good" saw deeply into life. People are afraid to face how great a part of life is dependent on luck. It's scary to think so much is out of one's control. There are moments in a match when the ball hits the top of the net, and for a split second, it can either go forward or fall back. With a little luck, it goes forward, and you win. Or maybe it doesn't, and you lose.

I always loved this movie intro:

http://youtu.be/6fTsxqKbhDw
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 08:55:25 PM by ijontichy »

Offline SubliminallyOveranalyzed

• Negative, distrustful, fearful or degrading attitudes towards others always work against the self
  • Subordinate Wasp
  • Death=Your inability2PerceiveEnergy transformation
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2015, 03:27:47 AM »
Want that fucking reactor!!! GIMME IT!!

Is that clay in those buckets????   like dirt clay?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:58:19 AM by SubliminallyOveranalyzed »
You draw to yourself in this existence and in all others those qualities upon which you concentrate your attention. If you vividly concern yourself with the injustices you feel have been done you, then you attract more such experience, and if this goes on, then it will be mirrored in your next existence. It is true that in between lives there is "time" for understanding and contemplation.

Those who do not take advantage of such opportunities in this life often do not do so when it is over. Consciousness will expand. It will create. It will turn itself inside out to do so. But there is nothing outside of yourself that will force you to understand your issues or face them, now or after physical death.

The opportunity for development and knowledge is as present at this moment, in this life, as it will ever be. If you ignore day-by-day opportunities for development now, no one can force you to accept and utilize greater abilities after death, or between lives. The teachers are there in after-death experience, but there are also teachers here in your existence now.

If man paid more attention to his own subjective behavior, to those feelings of identification with nature that persistently arise, then half of the dictates of both the evolutionists and the creationists would automatically fall away, for they would appear nonsensical. It is not a matter of outlining a whole new series of methods that will allow you to increase your psychic abilities, or to remember your dreams, or to perform out-of-body gymnastics. It is rather a question or a matter of completely altering your approach to life, so that you no longer block out such natural spontaneous activity.

~Seth in TES9 (The Early Sessions Book9) by Jane Roberts - Session 510 - January 19 1970 (Seth is an energy personality essence no longer focused in physical reality for existence, as trance-channeled by author & medium Jane Roberts & her husband Robert Butts from Dec 1964 - Sep 1984 [Jane's Death])

Offline CHEMICALCOWBOY36

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2015, 04:54:03 AM »

A couple A/Bs in a $2 bucket will acheive this purity assuming procedure is being run correctly and optimally.

Woah hold on lipbalm oh great elder bee are you saying one need not use vaccum distillation on mdp2p or final mdxx freebase to get 99% pure product  just a simple ab extraction then a recrystallization?
In this, you must never lapse. Even those who would be our allies would not understand. Our domain is the shadow. Stray from it reluctantly, for when you do, you must strike hard ,fast and fade away... Without a trace.

Offline CHEMICALCOWBOY36

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2015, 05:00:03 AM »

These labs are operated by organised crime groups. Usually 5+ members. You wouldn't able to do it own your own, don't even plan it.
Most of these labs are run by a non skilled workers by the way.

Im have to disagree with you on that one fellow bee i believe you can do large scale synthesis with one man ! Have you ever heard of the fabled "dutch bucket method"?
In this, you must never lapse. Even those who would be our allies would not understand. Our domain is the shadow. Stray from it reluctantly, for when you do, you must strike hard ,fast and fade away... Without a trace.

Offline Zippy

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2015, 05:30:47 AM »

Im have to disagree with you on that one fellow bee i believe you can do large scale synthesis with one man ! Have you ever heard of the fabled "dutch bucket method"?

I am intrigued.  Can you please elaborate on the 'dutch bucket method'.

Offline CHEMICALCOWBOY36

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2015, 06:50:07 AM »
Well i read this once over at dxxxs-forum.com before they became snobs with knowledge and locked it all away and make you jump thru hoops now smh anyway a beenamed of piglets once said that you could syn up like 100 kilos  only using like 50 20L pp buckets and renting a paint booth he goes on to say that there were using NABH4 to do a reductive animation but it was low yielding because they heated the reaction i believe to speed up the synthesis idk if that exactly right because it was really long time ago but anyway i know large scale can be done with sodium borohydride pretty easily see labtop posts ! 8)

Offline bananachimp

• Larvae
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2015, 08:21:25 AM »
I guess all you really need is one chemical engineer/scientist to work out the fine details of what reaction your going to use, what precursors and how the machinery needs to be handled. I guess once you have this equipment set up its literally a matter of just following instructions

Add XX amount of XX chemical into Reactor A, heat for this long

Tip contents of this reactor into this reactor B add this chemical etc etc

that's pretty much what pharmaceuticasl factory runs like too, you dont need any qualifications to get a job there, they will show you how to do a small part of the process. After time working there the more different parts of the process you will get experienced with like any factory job.

Offline thewire

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 05:29:40 PM »
That's pretty much what pharmaceuticasl factory runs like too, you dont need any qualifications to get a job there, they will show you how to do a small part of the process. After time working there the more different parts of the process you will get experienced with like any factory job.

Fuckin' hell! I would love to work for such company. Where  I am from , it is impossible  to get a job in any pharmaceutical factory without a relevant experience and qualification.

Offline Lipbalm

• Donated!
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2015, 06:15:07 PM »

Fuckin' hell! I would love to work for such company. Where  I am from , it is impossible  to get a job in any pharmaceutical factory without a relevant experience and qualification.

That goes for anywhere. They even want irrelevant qualifications. I mean sometimes they want a 4 year college degree just to pull a handle up and down all day. And they wonder why soooo many people choose to work in the illegal drug trade.

sci-hub.cc