Author Topic: Synthesis of Iodobenzene/Chlorobenzene in one pot  (Read 3930 times)

pHarmacist

Synthesis of Iodobenzene/Chlorobenzene in one pot
« on: December 22, 2002, 05:34:00 AM »
A mixture of 22.8 g of benzene (0.3 moles), 27.5 g of iodine monochloride (0.169 moles), and 2.0 g of tungstated zirconia calcined at 800 DEG C. for 3 hours was stirred for 20 minutes at 20 DEG C. A copious quantity of HCl off-gassed from the reaction mixture. A GC of the reaction mixture indicated 41% conversion of benzene to a 1.3:1 mixture of chlorobenzene and iodobenzene.

Patent US6225514

"Turn on, Tune in and Drop Out"

Rhodium

And your point is?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 05:44:00 AM »
So by using a very expensive reagent and a specialized, hard to prepare catalyst, you can get a 41% yield of a mixture of relatively cheap, commercial products while releasing large amounts of corrosive gasses?

I'm sorry, but I don't think I have seen such a useless synthesis in a long time...  ::)

pHarmacist

hehe
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2002, 05:49:00 AM »
Don't be sorry.   ;D  I found it interesting that both could be made in one reaction vessel at the same time. Yield sucks, yeah... hehe... But then again, you can just order them :)

Hey! Maybe we can use this as a novel HCl(g) generator for chrystallisations LOL!

EDIT:
Iodobenzene is to prefer in most cases over chlorobenzene.  A better way of making it is:

Post 380729

(pHarmacist: "Iodobenzene by direct benzene iodination", Novel Discourse)

Looking up prices online at various chem suppliers makes me wonder if this realy isn't the most useless/stupid synthesis around..

"Turn on, Tune in and Drop Out"