Author Topic: HCl  (Read 5363 times)

Dragan

HCl
« on: October 06, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
Swim wounder if he make a rxn with rp/I2 and e to make meth. I2 make HI from I2 +2H----2HI, swim thinks that H come from the water, right?
But if swim make the synth with Ephedrine Hcl, the Cl will be free in the RXN. And the Cl will react with the water to make HCL in the rxn.same as I2(Both are in the sam group) but the I2 make HI, is this  right? Is it better to use fb ephdrine so the Cl are in the RXN?

geezmeister

Ummm.... no.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »

I2 make HI from I2 +2H----2HI, swim thinks that H come from the water, right?

You won't make HI from water and iodine alone. You will have a little I2 dissolve in the water. There are several ways to make HI from I2. They are noted in the stim forum faqs, in threads, and at Rhodium's site. Common methods include using red phosphorous, phosphorus acid, or hypophosphorous acid with iodine to generate HI. Another is by using KI and phosphoric acid. There are other methods. The writeups are available with a little searching.

Right now I might suggest you read more and reason less. The answers to your questions are already here if you look for them. The wheel has been invented; modifications are welcome, but reinvention is likely not needed.

Dragan

Swim taking about rxn with rp/I2/E if swim...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 11:10:00 PM »
Swim taking about rxn with rp/I2/E if swim have understand right this will make HI(rp,I2,h2o)?. Swim have utfs but have not find any answer to his question. Can the free Cl ion from the ephedrine hcl reduce the making of HI?
The rp/I2/H20 will make HI. Cl/I2/H20 will make HCL
Both are in the group halogens, and the Cl ion will react better with H20/rp than I2.

geezmeister

the acidic environment...
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 12:00:00 AM »
You are going to combine water, phosphorous, and iodine which will create HI. You will react ephedrine HCl. While ephedrine HCl is polar soluble it doesn't disassociate in water or acid to freebase ephedrine, H ions and Cl ions.  The acid is bound to the ephedrine during the reaction, and in order to free the acid from the ephedrine HCl you would have to subject it to a very basic environment, freebasing the amine. Ephedrine HCl doesn't dissasociate in water.

Dragan

Swim must ask one more stupid question.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »
Swim must ask one more stupid question. What hapend when the iodine connect to the ephedrine? Will the HCL leave the ephedrin and make H and Cl ions?

buz

not so stupid
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 01:43:00 AM »
not such a bad question.
swim was under the impression that the Cl on the precursor did switch places with iodine at some point beefore basing. the chief implied recently that the displaced chlorine ends up in NaCl.
but where would the Na come from?
seems possible that the liberated Cl steals some P from the reactants.
whatever is happening, few argue that the freebase precursor enables a more vigorous reaction.

tomjuan

No
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 05:03:00 AM »
The iodine never replaces the chlorine. It replaces the (unwelcomed) -OH that differentiates meth from ephedrine. The -HCL remains bound to the ephedrine (or meth) molecule. It is basically like this (although this simplifies the mechanics):

R-OH-R1.HCl --> R-I-R1.HCl --> R-H-R1.HCl

The HCl never gets replaced.

buz

thanks, tomjuan
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 03:38:00 PM »
what about a freebase rxn? does the eph remain halogen free throughout the rxn?

geezmeister

freebase reactions
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »
Neither ephedrine nor pseudoephedrine freebase go through the reaction in the freebase form. As soon as the environment in the flask becomes acidic, ephedrine freebase will become ephedrine HI.

My experience reacting very clean pseudo HCl and very clean freebase pseudo in otherwise identical reactions finally satisfied me that there is no substantial yield advantage obtained by reacting the freebase form per se; what advantage I did observe, and I think the advantage most bees observe, is IMHO a result of the freebase form usually being being cleaner than the HCl form, particularly where the salt form was obtained by evaporating alcohol used to extract the pseudo. Pseudo HCl and freebase pseudo which are equally clean will produce equivalent yields from similar LWR's. 

My all-time best yield was from a LWR of brad-like spikes of pseudo HCl crystals formed by slow crystals growth in acetone and alcohol, repeated a number of times until spikes were the only crystals harvested. The difference between that yield and my best yield using freebase pseudo was smaller than my margin of error using my scales. I was genuinely surprised by the yield. I had become confident  that freebase would always give better yields and was certain that the form used made the difference.

The results of the reaction with the painstakingly recrystallized pseudo HCl taught me that very clean pseudo HCl gives yields equivalent to equally clean freebase pseudo. Subsequent experience has repeatedly reinforced the opinion that improved yields are more a function of how clean the feedstock is than a function of its form.

Many well respected bees prefer to react the freebase form, and report better yields with it. I do not doubt their experience, and do not question their advice. Overall, I have had better yields doing freebase reactions than I have on average doing reactions of the HCl form. My experience merely suggests the form is not the controlling factor.