Author Topic: Cottage Cheese  (Read 4387 times)

Martian_A

Cottage Cheese
« on: October 09, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »
The latest meth rxn attempts have been different. In the past, SWIM had used HI 47% to react with MBRP & Pseudo, using the ratios 1ep:1mbrp:3ml HI. The reaction worked fine, adding the np and then lye, the bottom layer when white and started moving the meth into the upper layer. Gear was great, no hiccups.

Now SWIM using practically the same technique, except using Iodine extration techniques from Povidone Iodine. Iodine is sublimed. When using the ratio of 1ep:1.2i2:0.7mbrp, SWIM noticed that the reaction goes well, filtering the rp out of the reacted product is golden yellow, all sexy, although when adding the NP and Lye, the lye turns the bottom layer into a chedder cheese, with lots of emulsion and the bottom layer looking somewhat greyish. Temperature is set to 105, the last cook only went on for about 4 hours, approx the same time the other HI reactions have gone. Any idea's why this is happening? SWIM IS sure the Iodine is pretty clean:) Could it be the choice of NP? In the past I have used Colemans Fuel, now I have switched to Shellite.. I doubt this change would have any impact on it though. Obviously yields have been effected too. Any slight chance that a little povidone may have slipped into the sublimed i2 and is causing this grey cheddar cheese look? Also, SWIM am not getting the Ammonia smell SWIM should be getting when basified. When testing the gear, the effects are there without an issue, although nowhere near as intense. SWIM relises that HI takes a minimum of 30 minutes start being effective, therefore if anythign cook would have lasted 3.5 hours, still enough time to produce something half decent.

Any Thoughts? Pls Reply.

wareami

I2 Suspect...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 09:24:00 AM »
Switch to tinc I2.
It's impossible to say for sure if POV slipped by. But it's possible.
The gears intensity indicates that full reduction did not take place.
Heavy emulsions are common in uncooked rxns.
Even poorly cleaned pfed in the past would return a clear interface in fully reduced rxns.
That isn't too common today because of the hybridgaaks, but it does demonstrate the difference between cooked and uncooked!
No mention of the most important ingredient whatsoever was included.
DH2O!
The dh2o:cooktime are important factors.
While it's possible that POV is the culprit, I'd be more inclined to go with incomplete reduction as the reason.

Martian_A

Oops
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 06:32:00 PM »
Apologies, yeah, 0.7ml was added to each g of ephedrine. Unfortunately, there are no sources for I2 Tincture in this area any more, as far as I hear, Its near impossible to find any more over here. That is the only reason why i switched to betadine (poviodine). Bloody Oz!
- Martian_A

wareami

Desperate times...desperate measures...
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 08:56:00 PM »
When that is all that is available..well...
That may just be the coming trend all over.
Just be sure to be more careful when doing the I2 sublime/extract.
When using premade HI...there should be enough h2o present in the mix as this is aqueous HI.
When starting from scratch however...the four essentials are added together.
The hydration factor plays a large roll and in turn determines the cooktime to achieve full reduction.
The amount of dh2o used, .07ml per 1g E, suggests that a cooktime reflux of less than 24hr might tend to lead to a larger percent of unreduced.
Many unreduced intermediates/impurities rear their ugly heads in the basified post-rxn solution. Even after solvent washes!

Higher temps can be used with that ratio to reduce sooner....but that is usually at a price.
Yieldwise...plus tweekinesssdpacedope-wise.
Ibee says to Aim first for creating the necessary full-reduction parameters using the I2 extracted from the POV source....and if the same emulsion problem is encountered, than look at the method of I2 extraction and refining that as the last recourse.
Good Luck!