Author Topic: benzaldehyde -->propenylbenzene -->P2P  (Read 2343 times)

evil_emma

benzaldehyde -->propenylbenzene -->P2P
« on: May 20, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »
I have done some research on this one but I came up with nothing...so I hope one of you bees can help me :-)

In a dream I had, someone had a supply of benzaldehyde and wanted to turn it into p2p. The method he wanted to use was the one strike writes about in total synthesis II...using a grignard-reaction with mg and bromoethane to turn the benzale into propenylbenzene, and then a standard performic-or peracetic-reaction to turn the propenyl into p2p. My question is; what is the name of the propenylbenzene formed from benzaldehyde? And would the ketone formed from the following performic(or peracetic)-reaction be plain old p2p? or would it be some other p2p that would result in pma,pmma,tma-2 or some other endproduct?
I would be very greatful for all help I can get!  :)

GC_MS

mmmsss
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 08:15:00 PM »
I think you still have alot of reading to do...

But if you have benzaldehyde and TSII, you might want to check out p 95, method #9.

evil_emma

benzal..
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 04:16:00 PM »
well, if you´re such an great chemist, why don´t you just answer my qustion instead of being wise? I dont mean to be rude but i just asked a polite question and i wanted an answer.

of cource i´ve checked the synt you´re mention, but I think it´s kind of low yealding and I cant find any info about that damn bromoproprionate. I´ve done some research on chemical sites in my country but i didn´t find anything. do you know what the chemical name or structure if the substance is?

Barium

Answer or no answer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 06:31:00 PM »
well, if you´re such an great chemist, why don´t you just answer my qustion instead of being wise?
Primarily because it's pretty tiresome spoonfeeding information to people not capable of using the fucking search engine, UTFSE.

Post 333551

(Barium: "benzaldehydes to phenylacetones", Novel Discourse)

evil_emma

thanks man! Great work!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2003, 02:06:00 PM »
thanks man! Great work! :-) looks like a really good way of producing P2P of benzaldehyde! I´ll guess swim will have a lot of use of this reaction!  :P

regards!
Evil