The Hive > Chemicals & Equipment

Heating element assembly

(1/3) > >>

blaztoff:
What would you use for a homemade heating element assembly for a mag/hotplate stirrer. I know what to use for a homemade or improved mag stirrer but not the hotplate. What would you use for the element and the control assembly for it.

lugh:
Glass or ceramic bowl filled with cooking oil, nichrome wire coil controlled with a rheostat made from a dimmer switch  :)

PoohBear4Ever:
Where's the write-up on this soon-to-be ghetto hotplate/stirrer?  I'm sure it'll be added to Rhodium's Equiptment section as soon as it does exsist  :) ...

PB

lugh:
Another method used by those that have built this type of equipment is to make the hotplate from a non-ferromagnetic metal such as copper or aluminum, and heat that with a heat source such as a torch, a bunsen burner, an alcohol lamp, or an electric heating element  :)

blaztoff:
What temp would the rheostat get and where do you get the wire coil? Was thinking maybe something like a fondu pot. They are nonferous and some reach 450F which is good for most applications. Plus bieng nonferous you can mount them on your Stirrer for mag stirring. I remember in some Chem catalog they do sell heated pots that have the temp control and heating element inside them and you can dial the temp you want and have extreme temp control. Place that on youre stirplate viola. Mag stirrer and hotplate. Dont have to wait for the temp to transfer from the hoptplate through vessell to flask when you make adjustments in heat. Figure that would be great for temp controls for Frac dist. Thats what gave me the idea for the fondu pot. Havnt tried it yet though. SO dont know. Also I saw immersion heaters but dont think those reach good enough temp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version