Author Topic: extraction of benzyaldehyde from Apricot kernal Oi  (Read 1295 times)

Vibrating_Lights

extraction of benzyaldehyde from Apricot kernal Oi
« on: May 30, 2003, 09:01:00 AM »
I am confused about the content of commercialy available Apricot kernal oil.  DOes this contain benzyaldehyde or Amidglyan.  I believe that the amidglyan exists before the oil is proscessed.  The Benzyaldhyde is formed as the kernals ar distilled.  When i checked the composition of commercialy available oil it only lists fattyacids what is the deal here. 

If Swim wanted to test the oil for benzyaldehyde he would just shake with some bisulfite to percipitate the bisulfite adduct right???
Can't seem to find any bitter almond oil???
VL_

evoh_1

bitter almond oil
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 09:44:00 AM »
thought bitter almond oil was relatively easy to obtain (most reasonable sized places). Also i know someone who buys benzaldehyde direct from the essential oils and scents supply shops. Maybe if you visit a reasonalbe sized essential oil or aroma shop they could order you some, that would certainly be easier then extraction or synthesis.

Vibrating_Lights

contro;;ed
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 11:05:00 AM »
It appears that bitter almond oil is now regulated by the Dea.  Is benzyaldehyde not found in the essential oil of the apricot kernals?  Is it removed prior to sale in the commercial aromatherapy markets.  What else is it found in in 50% or more concentration???
vl_

Organikum

Make your B-dehyde from toluene.....
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 01:54:00 PM »
Thats not so hard believe me. Many direct ways, the hot one (tube furnace), the electroway (manganesepersulfate + H2SO4 from manganesesulfate), the usual (MnO2) and some perverted ones (catalysts with unspeakable names, zeolithes under irridation of light of selected wavelengths, insane substrate to whatever ratios....).
And also the indirect ways by benzalchloride from toluene, by Mr. Loomis bleach & fire (possible), or else.

the time for searching invested in experimenting and your problem will be solved for all times. (toluene is to common to get unavailable as its not controlable by the sheer amounts used).

alphacentauri

benzaldehyde in almond oil
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 02:52:00 PM »
Amigdalin is a glycoside, that is to say a complex molecule composed composed of  two parts: a sugar (usually d-glucose) and an aglycon. The aglycon in the case of almond, apricot and laurus cerasus oils, is constituted by two molecules: benzaldehyde and cyanidric acid. Amigdalin specifically has this sequence: two molecules of glucose condensed in line, the whole condensed with a unit of benzaldehyde and cyanide by one side. This is the shape of the complex molecule. The bonds are not strong and can be broken easily: with an acid catalysis, I think, or by enzymatic cleavage. A glycoside is an trick of Nature to convey a toxic substance in a host organism. Many animal poisons are glycosides. Also the cardioactive toxins of the digitalis species are glycosides.
Anyway if it's benzaldehyde you're searching for, have you ever tried to buy synthetic bitter almond essence? It's supposed to be pure benzaldehyde in a solvent like IPA or a similar alcohol. If you search on the Net for catering suppliers you can find big liter bottles of the stuff. So you haven't the isolation problem. If you make the condensation with nitroethane to get the corresponding nitro-styrene you need it lab grade pure, but if you do the L-PAC biosynthesys, I think you can use it straight from the bottle, because the pyruvic acid in the acyloin condensation "selects" only the aldehyde molecules and the presence of the solvent is not a problem. At least I think so.

bobot

Couldn't one just make up the brew using ...
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 08:40:00 PM »
Couldn't one just make up the brew using ground up apricot kernals,then extract after it is done?

Anansi

benzaldehyde & apricot kernel oil
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 10:42:00 AM »
Vibrating_Lights : The apricot kernel oil commonly sold is a cold-pressed oil. That is, an oil that has been extracted from the kernels by expression at room temperature. The typical composition of an oil extracted in this manner is as follows according to  "The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy" by Savatore BATTAGLIA :

palmitic acid        4.9%
palmitoleic acid     0.9%
heptadecenoic acid   -
9-heptadecenoic acid 0.1%
stearic acid         1.0%
oleic acid          62.0%
linoleic acid       30.6$
linolenic acid       0.2%
arachidic acid       0.1%
Eicosenoic acid      0.1%

(all fatty acids)

and no benzaldehyde.

I recall reading (well over a year ago) that apricot kernel oil which has been extracted by other means (iirc steam distillation) will contain some bendzaldehyde. I'm certain I read this at the Hive, so TFSE should provide more leads.

I have never seen anything other than cold-pressed apricot kernel oil for sale, although I have never deliberately looked for a steam-distilled product instead.

Hope this helps,

...Anansi

cthulhujr

apricot benzaldehyde
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 10:14:00 AM »

From the cake(of crushed kernals) is distilled, by digestion with alcohol, an essential oil (0l. Amygdae Essent. Pers.) which contains a colourless, crystalline glucoside, Amygdalin, and is chemically identical with that of the bitter almond.

--taken from a seller's site

Most commonly apricot oil is the pressed garbage, as mentioned. Essential Oil of Apricot Kernals is very expensive.