Author Topic: acetaldehyde from ethanol via TCCA  (Read 2378 times)

ning

acetaldehyde from ethanol via TCCA
« on: May 15, 2004, 04:39:00 PM »
More on our favorite oxidizing agent...

This is just an idea.

Basically, the problem with trying to oxidize ethanol to acetaldehyde is the same problem of oxidizing any primary alcohol to an aldehyde, namely overoxidation.

I was reading my chem book and it said that acetaldehyde is an intermediate in the chlorination of ethanol, and was isolable.

Now we here at the hive try to avoid the use of chlorine, so I thought a bit and realized that a solid chlorinating agent like TCCA might be just the ticket. It's solid, cheap, and scrubs up HCl gas that might otherwise cause alpha-chlorination of the aldehyde. Administration of TCCA + Na2CO3 or NaOH or borax perhaps would probably be ideal--if the pH is kept near to neutral and free radical reactions prevented, I guess TCCA could produce acetaldehyde in pretty high yield from ethanol.

Further, if one were to continuously distill the formed acetaldehyde off, it would bee certain to work. There is no need to use funky chromium salts or other strong oxidizers here, when a cheap chlorinating agent will do the job.

Hope to search more on this.

Polverone

I've tried this before
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 08:26:00 AM »
This was just a test, to see if the reaction was worth pursuing further. I had 95% ethanol sitting in a glass jar with a stirbar. The jar went into a glass pot of almost-boiling water, and the pot was placed on the mag stirrer. Sodium bicarbonate was stirred in, then powdered TCCA was slowly added.

The sodium bicarbonate and ethanol were both in considerable excess (should have been favorable), and the ethanol was hot, but I got stinky choking chlorine-esque fumes from the reaction mixture. After the fumes had dissipated a bit, I could smell acetaldehyde too. But the purity is obviously not great.

I've had similar results before when trying TCCA at even higher dilutions on a test-tube scale.

ning

One thing I can think of is that perhaps one...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »
One thing I can think of is that perhaps one wouldn't want to use a large excess of TCCA, since it probably would tend to chlorinate the formed acetaldehyde.

Still, it would be interesting to try this system in one of those continuous distillation rigs, as TCCA is much cheaper and more available than K2Cr2O7, and probably would be less likely overoxidize as it is.

perhaps a erlenmeyer flask or still rig heated to 30 C filled with TCCA dissolved in ethyl acetate and some kind of base (pyridine? Ha ha) like sodium bicarbonate or whatever, stirred, with ethanol dropped in and acetaldehyder removed continuously.

Perhaps the actetaldehyde would be collected in a jar in icewater. If there's a little acid present, it can be polymerized to paraldehyde, right?

DrLucifer

Acetaldehyde.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 11:28:00 AM »
Hey guys,
Swim is about to test a simple procedure which may or may not yield acetaldehyde of decent quality.
I think the term given to this procedure is 'partial oxidation' or maybe dehydrogenation.  :-[
Anyways, swim will heat home-made 80%abv EtOH until the EtOH starts to boil out of the water.
He will then channel the EtOH vapour through copper pipe, which will have about 30cm of coiled pipe immersed in an oil bath heated to around 200C. Swim will then direct the pipe into a 300mm liebig condensor and condense the *partially oxidised* EtOH vapour!? Swim has been told that this will produce acetaldehyde of low-medium purity. Swim was recommended to run the collected distillate through the system again to increase the purity. Now swim looked at the synth on rhodium.ws, but it looked out of reach for swim, seeing as it involved bubbling with NH3 and then converting to paraldehyde and back again and so forth.
Anyways, does this procedure have any merit, will it even produce acetaldehyde? Swim does not need it to be ultra-pure or reagent quality,it will be used in an l-pac fermentation.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed  :)

Shane_Warne

Chromates can be found.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 04:30:00 PM »
Chromates can be found.

The TCCA sounds like a nice one if it works well..well etOH is cheap so it just depends on how much TCCA is required. How much? 1 mol?

I've tried the copper too, it didn't work and it contained a copper scrubbler, V2O5 on waterglass (sodium borate), NaOH and various other support guff I followed off a patent.
A poorly prepared vanadium catalyst of course, but I was hoping it would kick in to gear for me. It had at least 200C, although I could only be bothered applying the torch for about 10min then threw in the towel. shame.

The problem I've found with acetaldehyde is that the denatured alcohol itself smells decidedly fruity.

The way I measured failure was after completion to mark a line on the cold distillate receiver (hopefully containing some acetaldehyde product dissolved in water..aswell of course un dehydrated EtOH) figuring that as it warmed up to rt and beyond, any acetaldehyde would just boil off to leave a new marker.

But not a sausage!

Perhaps the actetaldehyde would be collected in a jar in icewater. If there's a little acid present, it can be polymerized to paraldehyde, right?

I think it requires concentrated H2SO4 doesn't it? What about a bisulfite adduct?

Organikum

The oxidation of EtOH with TCCA equals the...
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 05:53:00 PM »
The oxidation of EtOH with TCCA equals the oxidation with hypochlorites I guess and if, this has to be done in a two-phase system with a phase transfer catalyst (TEMPO for example).

Trichloroisocyanuric acid: A safe and efficient oxidant

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/trichloroisocyanuric.pdf

Is there another PTC which can be used or made than TEMPO? Something more OTC? Being in the swimmingpool supply for TCCA I saw that "flockulators" (sp?) contain quarternary ammoniumsalts, whats about this?

ning

Close
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 06:06:00 AM »
Close, but not quite. When TCCA dissolves in water, it forms hypochlorous acid HOCl. TEMPO is a funny thing, I think it is in fact an N-oxide, not your average PTC at all. I think TEMPO could bee substituted with pyridine N-oxide or triethylamine N-oxide, but good luck finding them either.

However, my understanding of how the oxidation proceeds is like this:

R-CH2-OH + HOCl --> R-CH=O + HOH + HCl

The problem is, the water can add like so to give a hydrate:

R-CH=O + HOH --> R-CH(OH)OH

Which, while reversible, is easily dehydrogenated once more:

R-CH(OH)OH + HOCl --> R-C(OH)=O + HOH + HCl

This is why chlorine anhydrous works -- when there's no water to form a hydrate, oxidation cannot proceed beyond the aldehyde stage (without forming an acid chloride, another matter entirely). Unfortunately, side reactions limit the usefulness of this.

This would bee one reason PTCs would work with some compounds. They could carry, for example, OCl- ion into a non-aqueous phase, where it could dehydrogenate alcohols to aldehydes, without the aldehydes being able to enter the water and form hydrates. Unfortunately, for lower alcohols and aldehydes which are well soluble in both polar and nonpolar solvents, I'm not so sure this technique will work.

In the above suggestion, TCCA is being used anhydrously as a dry chlorine substitute/source. Apparently acetaldehyde is formed in good yield from ethanol in the first step of chlorination of ethanol, followed by mono, di, and finally trichloroacetaldehyde. I guess this selectivity would be observed because the result of chlorination is HCl, which unlike bases causes further chlorination of alpha-chloro carbonyl compounds to become more difficult rather than easier. TCCA eats HCl to produce more chlorine, but since the reaction is a dehydrogenation it will tend to run away if not carefully controlled.

TCCA is very soluble in ethyl acetate and acetone (~370 g/L), which can be used to slowly introduce TCCA solution by dropping funnel into a heated flask of ethanol. With the acetaldehyde and HCl distilling over into a second flask of ethanol through bubbler, the HCl will soon saturate the solution and catalyze acetaldehyde polymerization, I guess.

I heard the ammonia adduct of acetaldehyde is good to purify it.

Organikum knows all about the method of dehydrogenating ethanol with copper/zinc catalyst. The science madness board has a lovely thread on this topic, complete with pics. It's very industrial.

However, I would like to see this one tried, since it seems much easier.

Stoichiometry:

TCCA has 3 active chlorines.

C3O3N3.Cl3 + 3 HCl + 3 CH3CH2OH --> C3O3N3H3 + 3 CH3CH=O + 6 HCl

As you can see, to just mix the reactants would be very careless and dangerous. Kaboom! If the TCCA is added seperately and measuredly, it should be safe.

Probably the best thing to do with you acetaldehyde gas is to use it immediately. Presumably you would be reacting it with methylamine. Use a bubbler or something, and if necessary, strip out the HCl gas with a base.

So that's 1/3 mole TCCA for 1 mole ethanol. 232 g TCCA for 138 g ethanol. I'd probably use an excess of ethanol for convenience. If the TCCA is dissolved in acetone, watch out for the probably inevitable chloroacetones that will be formed as side products. Then again, if an excess of acetone is used, it will raise yield of acetaldehyde by competing with acetaldehyde for alpha-chlorination. Conceivably, one could obtain both chloroacetone and acetaldehyde in the same reaction by this method.

So no, organikum, this is similar but not exactly the same as the standard TCCA oxidation. It's more like a chlorination. Those flocculators I don't know about. I know the algae killers contain typically alkyl (C12,C13,C14) benzyl dimethyl ammonium or alkyl trimethyl ammonium salts where I live. A good source of PTCs, in fact. Those PTCs are good for "hard" bases, i.e. hydroxide ion. Perfect for hardcore deprotonations and alkylations, like benzyl cyanide and acetoacetic acid ester condensation, or Dieckmann cyclizations. Maybe even isomerization of allylbenzenes. Those type of quaternaries can decompose at higher temperatures, particularly under strong base conditions, but certainly if I wanted to alkylate, say, ethyl N-methyl carbamate or methyl acetamide with some type of secondary bromide  ;) , they are what I'd try first.

By the way, does anyone know if Na2CO3 is a strong enough base to break chloroform off of trichloroacetaldehyde? It's a lot cheaper than NaOH. Perhaps Ca(OH)2 is cheapest, but it's annoying to deal with.