Author Topic: DMS methylation of toluhydroquinone in 90%+ yield  (Read 2695 times)

psyloxy

DMS methylation of toluhydroquinone in 90%+ yield
« on: September 23, 2003, 10:41:00 PM »
2,5-dimethoxytoluene

In a dry 3-neck 1L rb flask equipped with a mag stirring bar, two stoppers, a reflux condensor, and a N2 inlet was placed 2,5-dihydroxymethylbenzene (49.6g, 0.4 mol). To the flask was added 300 ml of ethanol, and the soln was slightly heated with a mantle until the solid dissolved. The heating mantle was then removed and the soln was allowed to cool to room temp. Over a period of 20 min, DMS (? mol) and 100ml of an aqu. NaOH soln (~10 M) were added to the reaction mixture. The heat released was sufficient to bring the solution to boil. After this step was completed, NaOH (10g 0.25 ml) in 10 ml of water was added to the solution to make it alkaline. When the boiling subsided, the heating mantle was replaced and the reaction mixture refluxed for 7h. The reaction mixture was checked by TLC and then transferred to a separatory funnel. The organic fraction was extracted with Et2O and washed with sat. aqu. NaCl soln. The resulting solution was dried with MgSO4, filtered,
and then concentrated on a Rotovap. The product was then subjected to flash chromatography (20% ether, 80% hexane), yielding a light yellow liquid: yield 53.3g (93,9%).

Ref: Bae, I. T.; Sandifer, M.; Le, Y. W.; Tryk, D. A.; Sukenuk, C. N.; Scherson, D. A.;ANCHAM; Anal.Chem.; EN; 67; 24; 1995; 4508-4513.

EDIT: I first believed this to be a methylation rxn using DMSO but apparently they used DMS, so this is nothing really exciting.
--psyloxy--

Bandil

Is this for real??
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 11:01:00 PM »
Do they really mean dimethylsulfoxide and not dimethylsulfate??

If it is, then i'd have to call that a seriously good find. Can you dig out the article so we can read the whole thing? It would be nice to know if it was a general methylating method. DMSO is practically drinkable compared to DMS  8)

Looking forward to read more about it!

Edit: crap  ::)

Regards
Bandil

Lilienthal

It's a typo in that paper...
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 11:54:00 PM »
It's a typo in that paper... I'm pretty sure they used DMS = dimethylsulfate.  :)

psyloxy

Oh well, no breakthru for today...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 12:33:00 AM »
God, I'm feelin so ashamed  ::)  - that rxn scheme doesn't make any sense at all, now
that I have a sobered look at it. Well I guess disillusionment really is a positive state
of being. And I even thought I dug up the ultimate wonder-rxn  ;D

--psyloxy--