Author Topic: questions about Isosafrole-dibromide  (Read 2591 times)

goiterjoe

questions about Isosafrole-dibromide
« on: July 07, 2002, 05:45:00 PM »
I was checking out the method on Rhodium's page listed here:

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/mdp2p.dibromide.html

I had a question about it.

The conversion of the Isosafroleepoxide into the ketone starts when the epoxide is heated to 220°C in a flask equipped with a air-cooled condenser. The temperature jumps up quickly to 280°C. When the exothermic rxn has finished, the mix is refluxed for a short period of time. The first destillation under normal pressure yields a colorless, almost non-smelling oil, which comes over between 280-290°C. Under 10mm pressure it boils between 149-151°C. Yield 80%

Does this reaction result in tar being formed all over your condensor, or does the ketone not degrade that fast?  Also, colorless and odorless does not describe any MDP2P I've seen.  Everything I've known to be MDP2P was a pale yellow that changed in intensity depending on how you refracted light through it.  It also always had that burnt potpouri smell to it.  Can ketone truly be colorless and odorless?

All paths are the same: they lead nowhere

Rhodium

I can't vouch for Uemuras translation in that ...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 05:56:00 PM »
I can't vouch for Uemuras translation in that document, but it is possible that the original author meant "clear, transparant", and not "colorless, water-white".

Analytically pure MDP2P still has a very faint yellow color, much like a post-it which has been exposed to sunlight a while.

MDP2P has an *odor* if you sniff really close, but you could have an opened bottle of it in your living room without anyone noticing, as it doesn't smell up everything. Perhaps that was the original meaning?

goiterjoe

that is true
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2002, 06:16:00 PM »
MDP2P isn't really aromatic.  You actually have to sniff the container it's in to notice the smell, unlike most essential oils where you can take a slight whiff over the bottle to get the smell.

Rhodium

I once talked to a guy who spilled around 500ml ...
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2002, 08:47:00 PM »
I once talked to a guy who spilled around 500ml of clove oil on his tile floor... Nice.

PrimoPyro

I know 'someone' who accidentally spilt ~20mL ...
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2002, 11:27:00 PM »
I know 'someone' who accidentally spilt ~20mL sassafras oil at his workplace 'somehow' and the place smelled like sassy for the remainder of his days there, some ~7 months. Amazing how potent the smell of sassafras is.

A lot of customers asked, "What is that scent in here? It's so nice."  ;D

I find sassafras to have a rather undesireable smell.

PrimoPyro

Rhodium

Do you ever have a problem smelling of chemicals ...
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2002, 11:41:00 PM »
Do you ever have a problem smelling of chemicals after doing something in the lab? Time and time again I read of victims of that (making their spouse ask if they have been making crystal meth again), but it has never happened to me... Except once in my early teens, when I ordered a bottle of diethyl ether from a chem supplier to see what it was like to inhale the gas. After reading up on inhalants in the available literature, I came to the conclusion that diethyl ether seemed to be the choiche of inhalant which was least likely to affect me negative from acute exposure (as opposed to freon/butane etc.), as it had been used for hundreds of years in anaesthesia.

The next day in junior high I had a huge hangover, and my breath smelled of ether constantly.

goiterjoe

yes
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2002, 11:43:00 PM »
I love the fragrance of sassafras oil.  A small drop into a candle will make the entire room smell good for days.  Another personal favorite is lime oil in candles.  be careful with lime oil though, as it's rather flammable.  Something about lime oil makes your skin feel fresh and clean.

I like the smell of MDP2P as well, but that's for other reasons... :)

goiterjoe

good thing you didn't drive around
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2002, 11:53:00 PM »
Rhodium, I never expected you to stoop to the level of an ether binge.  It's quite exhilarating, isn't it?  at first you feel like your just really drunk and high, but after about an hour or so you become completely delirious.  The smell seems to take forever to get off of you, and people will constantly mistake it for alcohol if they're not used to lab chemicals.  I had one night in particular where 4 of us burnt through 2 pints of ether in the course of a night.  2 days later when I went back to work(I had showered three times since then), my boss smelled me from across his office as soon as I walked in and asked me if I was drinking this morning or if I was just that hung over.  I told him something about drinking all the day before; he advised me to stay in my office with the door closed. 

One of the people I was huffing with that night with got stopped at a DWI checkpoint and was harassed by the cops.  They made him do a field sobriety test, blow in two breathalizers, and checked his car up and down for an open container.  I would have loved to have been there when they were scratching their heads and had to let him go.

Rhodium

But come on! Junior high!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2002, 12:08:00 AM »
But come on! Junior high! That was the only time I have ever inhaled something. I concluded that if that was the best inhalant, then I'll pass please.

goiterjoe

I wouldn't call it the best inhalant
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2002, 12:13:00 AM »
It's definitely better than nitrous and poppers, but ether is definitely runner up to Freon.  Now that is one wicked inhalant!  It's not just an asphixiant either; you can tell it's psychoactively messing with you.

I'm not the kind of person that goes out and huffs toluene and glue, but I've tried my fair share of inhalants just to see what they did.  I wouldn't say I have an addictive personality, just a curious one.

acid_egg

Its not just for huffers!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2002, 12:36:00 AM »
ETHER

General. Introduced in the early 18th century as a medicine and solvent, ether is not widely used recreationally until the 19th century. By the 1840's, when its anesthetic properties are discovered, ether frolics produced either by inhalation or by drinking a drops of ether in water are already common among the upper classes (mostly youths) of Europe and America.

Ireland. Ether is introduced into N. Ireland as a preventive and folk remedy (1840); recreational drinking spreads in the Ulster counties of Londonderry and Tyrone, possibly begun by the example of a physician in Draperstown. Poverty, temperance crusades, and high alcohol taxes (1855) encourage its use as a cheap, readily available alcohol substitute, especially by lower class Catholics. Priests begin attempts to suppress ether drinking by cursing it as a sin (1869).

Extract from

http://mir.drugtext.org/ibogaine/drughist.html

(rated as:eggsellent)

Flip

Kinda back towards the topic
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2002, 10:03:00 PM »
What are the success rates of the bromosafrole procedures?  I read over the documents awhile back but I return a bit behind the times.  Is this procedure now widely accepted with general success?  Does anyone have reports on attempted chloro or iodo safrole synths?  After reading those over I considered them as obscure as the MDP2Pol method which would be wonderful if it actually did work.  Then again, I still consider myself a newbee.  Have chloro or iodo synths recieved any reported success?  Forgive me i'm not current with my information, after coming back from long break.  Thanks.

Flip

OB1KNoBee

Binges
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2002, 12:11:00 AM »
Let's put the bromo and Iodo aside for a sec and keep talking about Rhodium's ether binges!! :)

Yes, Jr. High had alot of good experimenting days, liquid lunches, acid trips in the trails, smoke pit sessions, RUSH binges (poppers), but we never tried huffing ether. One thing we DID try was huffing PAM (greaser in a spray can)
Now that was a visual disturbance if I ever saw one. What's the active ingredient in pam, it's not just lack of Oxygen is it?

Sorry Flip, we aren't finished huff talk yet.... ::)

OB1

Flip

Well ok then
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2002, 04:20:00 AM »
I myself much prefer DCM in a poorly ventilated area for extended period of time.  I get silly.  Sometimes I have weird mood swings and go all crazy.  Once some of the tubing came loose and I didn't notice until I saw a thick layer of vapor across a good portion of the floor.  Me and my friend just started laughing and didn't do a damn thing for another five minutes or so.  One time I was so high on DCM I flipped out and attacked my partner.  At the time it was crazy, but DCM is also an anesthetic and so neither one of us got hurt.  In retrospect it was funny as hell, and we laughed it off in ten minutes.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh the wonderful memories of inhalants

Flip

goiterjoe

reminds me of a story I heard once
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2002, 06:50:00 AM »
There were these four russian chemists working in a lab with DCM one time.  They noticed that the fumes were intoxicating them in much the same manner that vodka did.  Since they were currently in a place where alcohol was hard to get, they decided they'd dilute the DCM down with three parts water and drink it to see what it would do.  The first scientist drank a fourth of the glass and didn't notice anything.  The second scientist drank the next third of the glass and felt a little queazy.  The third scientist to drink his half of the liquid got extremely sick.  The fourth scientist died within a few hours. 

The morals of the story:  DCM is heavier than water, and don't fuck with chlorinated solvents.  They will hurt you bad if you don't respect them.  Chloroform and DCM are not solvents you want to huff on.

Flip

Long-term effects
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2002, 07:22:00 AM »
I dunno. I have read conflicting reports about the long term effects of inhaling DCM.  I have read reports that claim no long term damage is done.  Then again they arent really accounting for the exposure level in this field.  I know that when I used to working non stop, I would get consistently DUMBER as the week progressed from pouring buckets of solvents back and forth.  Anyone knowledgable as to the long term effects of toxic exposure?