Author Topic: Al/Hg How big is big?  (Read 10377 times)

Chromic

Re: Al/Hg How big is big?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2001, 02:41:00 AM »
Comparison:
Al/Hg a la Brightstar:
1L flask, 40g foil, 100g of MeAm.HCl, 80g of MDP2P
Al/Hg a la Methyl Man:
1L flask, 14g foil, 10mL MeNO2, 12.5g MDP2P

So Bright Star's foil reductions is 6.5 times more volumetrically efficient than Methyl Man's procedures.

Diethyl Ether Man, right now you're reacting 200g of ketone in your 12L flask, which seems pretty good... until you realize that you could be reacting about 1000g of ketone in that same flask if you were to use Osmium's method.

PoohBear4Ever

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2001, 02:46:00 AM »
How does one fit a 3" stir bar in a 24/40 joint? 

PB

PrimoPyro

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2001, 03:15:00 AM »
YEAH!

And how DO they get those ships into those little bottles???????
;)

PrimoPyro

I collect synthetic drug precursers. Aren't you jealous? Member: C_F and pyrotek FanClubs  8)

fructose

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2001, 04:29:00 AM »
Would it be possible to use a reasonably thick piece of aluminium as your stirring 'propellor'  - the bit at the end of the rod that actually stirs in an overhead set up - amalgmate the Al stirrir chuck in your nitro/MeNH2.HCl blah and go? I'm assuming this is if you want to use overhead rather than stirbar. You could always put your stirbar inside a piece of activated Al tubing and just run it like that. 

anyone tried this?

RoundBottom

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2001, 05:28:00 AM »
> Chromic: 6.5 times more volumetrically efficient

ok, i'm sold.  now to learn how to convert the hexane into MeAm.HCl.  fume hood would be nice about now.

> PB4E: How does one fit a 3" stir bar in a 24/40 joint?

you don't, not if you want to get it out again.  someone once said they shaved it down and it fit (mine barely doesn't fit), but good luck getting it out again.

PoohBear4Ever

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2001, 05:34:00 AM »
Then how do ya stir a 50g dream?  If it would fit, is there really any reason, besides possible breakage of the flask, that one would need to take it out?

PB

DiethylEtherMan

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2001, 07:39:00 AM »
Chromic: Yes, I do understand that I could be getting much more out of the size of the glass, however, I do not want to worry about making or aquiring MeAm HCL, or any other form of it. For me, everything I use is totally OTC...I certainly would go the Sheeting method, if I did not have to come up with MeAm.

Oh, and as for the 3in stir bar in a 24/40 joint...it fits perfectly, or at least mine does (3in octogon). It comes in and out of the joint every other day. Unless your 3in is thicker than mine...

DEM

If some of us were not so far ahead, the rest of you would not be so far behind!

RoundBottom

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2001, 08:33:00 AM »
well, i don't know if it's thicker, but it's not three inches.  ba-doom-boom.

sorry, i was refering to a 3" egg bar.  my 3" octagonal fits 24/40 no problems.

i thought MeAm could be made OTC from hexamine?  i bought 2 boxes of about 250g each for about $5USD at the surplus store.  hell, that's so OTC it makes my paint thinner purchases look like a freakin' drug deal.   ;)

RoundBottom

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2001, 08:38:00 AM »
stirring was a real bitch to get going in a 2x MM.  took a while to get it going, but once the amalgamation really started in ernest, it got going and kept going, quite strong.  this is with a crappy thermolyne 1000, and a kick ass 3" octagonal (my 3" round really bites, stick to the octagonal). 

the trick is to find the sweet spot on the flask bottom where the bar spins the freest.  experiment a bit by moving the flask around, you'll find it.

PoohBear4Ever

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2001, 08:44:00 AM »
We tawking FB or RB flasks?

PB

RoundBottom

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2001, 09:26:00 AM »
FB for SWIMs 3L 2x MM.

PoohBear4Ever

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
Well, guess this bee will follow in your footsteps on this issue.  A 3" octagon stir-bar you say...

Off I go changing my order sheet again, 

PB

* Thanks

pimpmaster

Re: Allow me to rephrase
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2001, 02:45:00 PM »
hey rb  read the procedure written by osmium on rhodium's site better you might find this "Ketone:amine
molar ratio was usually about 1: 2.5-3.5 " and also that he uses 50-60 grams Al :mole ketone. :o

Goodtimes

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2001, 06:24:00 PM »
Sorry Pooh, I misinformed you, looked like the 2.5" egg would have fit into the 24/40, but very wrong, almost didn't get the fucker out...  at least what Swim said...

Lessons learned... very frustrating projects.  :(

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

DiethylEtherMan

Making Clear
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
OK. Today I began a venture to try and use OS Al sheeting method with nitro. Unfortunately for me, the only thing I lacked was the overhead. Which didn't prove to be that much of a nusance, but called for more meoh in the reaction.

I will give the fine details when I am finished but before that I will give some broad details. Suggested by a well known bee here... basically this is how it has gone so far. The ingredients:

86g ketone
61g Nitro
75g al sheeting
1+ml Meoh

First, added the al to a 3L FBF and covered with approx 1L meoh. Added 1.2g HgCl2 and let go for 30 min. Solution turned med grey. After the 30min period, I added 30.5g of the nitro to an addition funnel and set up for reflux on the 3L, and with the addition funnel. I droped, one drop per second or second and a half, the nitro into the meoh/al/hgcl2. This took less than an hour, but I let the reaction run 2 hours...during which time the mixture got exothermic and refluxed fairly hard. After two hours, the reaction cool quite a bit, but still at a slight reflux. Then, into the addition funnel I added the remaining nitro (30.5g) 86g of mdp2p, and approx 20ml meoh. Started this at a very slight drip. The drip was finished in approx 2-2.5 hours. While the reaction only refluxed slightly, as I had to add heat as well. This was all done with a mag stirrer which gave many problems to keeping the mixture stirring. There was much shaking and swirling to try and catch the stirr bar....eventually I found myself adding approx 1.5L to 2L meoh, just to keep the thing stirring for more than a few minutes...At this point the reaction will continue, I'm sure, for an unsepcified time...which at the end, I will give the details. I am under the impression that the reason for the intitial nitro drip is to make availible for the next step, our precious MeAm...which, btw, during my swirling trials, the condenser came loose, and there was an immense smell of MeAm, for sure. The reaction, looks good and sure seems to be doing its thing. 4 hours into the reaction and there are still large al pieces however, it seems as though the majority of it has turned into your typical al sludge, slightly bluish grey.

SO, anyway...I wanted to discuss some further liknesses with this reaction and the typical MM reaction. First, I would like to clarify that the only reason a 12L FBF is used for 200g reactions, is because granny likes to save all that head room, so that basifying can be done in the same flask, therefore leaving begind her the work of trying to get the sludge out of one flask and into another. or into a sep.

Secondly, I would like to take a look at the ratios here for each reaction.

with 150g of al sheeting you can use more or less 180g of tone.

with 150g of al foil you can use more or less (according to MM write-ups) approx 130g of tone...although, I am sure as you upscale, you can use less al as in the sheeting method...only with this bees experience, he has always just added equally to the ratio's when upscaling...never thinking that it is a good possiblilty that when you upscale this rection, that it will probably not need as much al as does the smaller 1x al/hg per MM.

The only real difference between these two, and upgrading each, is the overhead stirrer. I learned that today when trying to stir the sheeting with my magnetic, and realizing that it wouldn't.. I had to add another 1.5-2L of meoh. So, for this 86g reaction, I still needed approx 3L meoh....and in a past 130g reaction FOIL style, I had to use 4L to keep the thing stirring....so the difference is still quite the same....if I had an overhead and wanted to do the foil method, I could definately use less meoh...and I probably wouldn't have to use as much al when I upscale...I imagine, with 150g of al, I could get very close to using 150g of tone using the foil method...therefore allowing me to have a much bigger reaction in a smaller flask...

In my 200g reaction I use 225g of foil, 6.5L meoh...although, the foil could for sure be cut down, just never tried it, and if an overhead was in place, you for sure wouldn't need as much meoh, therefore allowing you very close to the same amounts and volumes as the sheeting method.

Now, I am not trying to pick a fight and shit, I have just now see both done, and both a very much alike, no matter which way you look at it. At this point, I would not be able to agree which is better without getting an overhead stirrer to test my own theories out.

Shit, I got to get me one of those overheads.

DEM

Got another one coming!

If some of us were not so far ahead, the rest of you would not be so far behind!

LaBTop

Re: Making Clear
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2001, 10:22:00 AM »
Why did nobody ever thought of adding the cut amalgamated Alu foil or pieces of Alu sheet/flashing  slowly through a special device to the total reaction mix? That way you can regulate the exothermic reaction with the rate of amalgamated Alu.
"Dripping" in Alu.  :P  
It will need some finetuning, to obtain the highest reaction rate per timeframe and amount of Alu.
Eventually you could even try DRIED amalgamated Alu powder "dripping" in.
This seems to me the only way to controll the exotermic attitude of all Al/Hg reactions. LT/

PS: Antibody2, I have scale-ups with Al/Hg in my files which were MUCH bigger than anybody talks about here, MDP2P wise, I will look through them to give yields, if I remember correct it was somewhere near 75% yields with 5 and 20 kg MDP2P batches.

WISDOMwillWIN

sYnThOmAtIc

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2001, 09:18:00 PM »
Yea labtop has a point.  Oh and labtop where do you have your industrial scale writeups(other thann the few here)? I have a friend who is movin on to bigger things and would like to test some of your writeups.

I have heard of cooks that used stainless keigs (spelling) with an open top with 10kg+ mdp2p/nitro mix slowly being added while they drink beer and toss in the aluminum at a certain time in the reaction.

Diethyletherdude, why did you use so much hgcl2? That much is not needed. Although if you like to prepare hgcl2 every other week or raise suspicion buying an ounce every month then so be it.

DiethylEtherMan

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2001, 01:36:00 AM »
LT, that certainly is a good point. Maybe someone could give it a try here...although, the hard refluxing doesn't much bother me, being that I am using a 1200 condenser..

For me anyway, the reaction still needs an overhead to be able to stir the reaction...this is the only thing that has really held me back from upscaling into the kg range...that and a little larger glassware...I am sure that you could be doing 1-1.5kg kg in 22L FBF with overhead stirring.

Snyth: I am aware that that is an excessive amount...for sure....but it surely seems to help the process progress a little quicker...

Not that I am trying to brag here either...but my grandmother is always getting 100% (not molar) yields...or better. Every single time...

Still havent complete the above reac, but will soon.

DEM

sYnThOmAtIc

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2001, 03:51:00 AM »
Once you break the 1kg barrier glassware should be replaced. It is expensive, suspicous for 22l flasks and larger. The idea when doing large reactions (5-10kg and up)is disposable inexpensive equipment and speed. You want to get your shit, containers, and stuff. Then cook, crystalize, and destroy everything and all leftovers. And if for soem reason you must abandon it  that you can take your goods out and leave in a hurry without worrying about any of it being traced back to a name. Finding a sale and name for a glass kit is easier than finding out who bought a bottle of water at a grocery store. Like those glass 5gal water juggs at the organic foods market for those who don't trust plastics make great reaction vesselsat about 3 bucks each. Equiped with a powerdrill/overhead mixer with a stainless/copper encased glass tube for condenser ou could bail your reaction if needed or not worry bout your equipment.

100% yields??? Care to elaborate?

DiethylEtherMan

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2001, 04:49:00 AM »
How would you like me to elaborate? Send you a video.

For example, my mother just gassed two (8x per MM) reactions. That is, 200g tone used in each. She ended up with 408g xtal. Thats the best I can do.

Also, the honey used is very good, clean stuff.

DEM

PS> didn't mean any wise assedness...its just that I can feel the non-believers whipsering away.