Author Topic: Hose-to-flask connection  (Read 1882 times)

IceHomer

Hose-to-flask connection
« on: April 12, 2003, 02:44:00 PM »
What would be the best way to seal a PVC hose to an Erlenmeyer flask?

I have a flask that has a 1" opening and would like to attach a length of 1" outer diameter PVC hose directly to it without using a stopper.

Would the best way of sealing it be to use silicone, or could I just use Teflon tape wrapped around the hose in order to ensure a tight seal and make it easier to remove?

Thanks in advance...

raffike

Whatever you do,don't press your pipe into the
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2003, 04:58:00 PM »
Whatever you do,don't press your pipe into the neck of that erlenmeyer,neck will break into pieces as it doesn't like pressure.If you are inventing push-pull device,use silicon.

IceHomer

Sealing
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2003, 03:12:00 PM »
Do you mean that the flask will break just from the pressure of the inserted hose, or due to expansion during a reaction?

What if I not jam the hose in but leave it lightly inserted and seal around the flared lip of the flask?

I really just don't want any leaks. I'll probably seal with silicone, followed by an electrical and duct tape wrap.

And, no, I'm not making a PP device, just using a braided PVC hose with a thick balloon at the end (which happens to be colored all psychedelic-like... it's called a "marbleized" ballon. Too bad the reaction won't/shouldn't produce a psychedelic compound).  :P

raffike

It breaks when you apply brute force to insert
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2003, 04:17:00 PM »
It breaks when you apply brute force to insert the pipe into the neck it's not supposed to go in.Take it easy and you'll be fine.

barkingburro

best way
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2003, 06:38:00 PM »
best way to handle that situation mi amigo, is to put a condensor in between that there flask and that there hose, replace the hose with a balloon of some sort and then throw out everything else in the series that would come after the hose.

i hate coming after the hose. if you're paying for her shouldn't you come first?

foxy2

Get a rubber stopper!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 05:56:00 AM »
Get a rubber stopper!!!  Then you can easily open and close the system.

You run a short pipe(glass or metal) thru the stopper, then run a plastic tube off that and tape the ballon to the plastic tube. 

Or do it right and buy a condenser and tape a balloon on top of the condenser!