Author Topic: Please help..Where does one find 8" flanges?  (Read 1966 times)

sYnThOmAtIc

Please help..Where does one find 8" flanges?
« on: January 09, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »
I'm looking for flush backed, 8" front lip flange with an outer ring with bolt holes. I have only found one place that sells what I'm looking for after 26 hrs of searching and they want $1,300ea!! If I knew what the proper name was I'd probably be able to find them.

I've included some pics from sites with names such as van stone and lap joint flange. All the flanges I find are under 4". Anything from 6-8" lip on the inner bore is fine with preferably 6-10 bolt holes on teh flange. I've included some pics for a clearer pciture of what I'm looking for. I prefer pvc cause metal is heavy.

Anybody know what the hell to search for? Or where to find such a thing. Or does onybody know of a glove box supply place that sells these flanges at around 50-110 bucks each? Please pm me or post some helpful info that I could use to find what I'm looking for if you can help, thanks.

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/2492dbf1/bc/My+Documents/lap+joint+flange.jpg?bf7Hs__AG_Iva2sC

http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/2492dbf1/bc/My+Documents/Lap+joint+schematic.jpg?bf7Hs__AJ9mjYH5N

Tdurden969

Links
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 01:34:00 AM »
Those links don't work for me.

sYnThOmAtIc

Links
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 01:39:00 AM »
They do for me  ::)

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/azidfien

Their in the briefcase..

But do you know whereone could find such a thing? With the outer lip prefferably being like .5-1" so that a clamp could be placed around it with a glove.... The file named lap joint schematic.jpg, the lip I'm concerned with is X with a rise of T. X should be 6-8" and T .5-1" or anything that a clamp could be attached securably.

Tdurden969

Interesting
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 02:46:00 AM »
I checked a couple places I know of - no luck.

But why not take those schematics into a machine shop and see what they can do?

CNC is quick and precise
Probably make you one for cheaper than 13hundred....

calcium

for a glove box?
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 02:34:00 PM »
If you're just attaching gloves to a box, just make your own. Buy a piece of plexi-glass and cut with a jigsaw, or by hand with a coping saw. Drill holes as required. Done in under an hour.

Or check HVAC suppliers. I've bought light weight steel  flanges that would probably work that were intended to attach ductwork.

Here we go, I just located them in my favorite industrial supply catalog. They are called 'angle rings'. The size you want is about $8.00.

What about a 4" pvc toilet flange?

sYnThOmAtIc

Thanks guys!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2004, 04:11:00 PM »
Tdurden969-- I have my own machine shop. Although, my screw rods are worn out giving an unacceptable backlash. I sent the table to a machine shop to have the nuts replaced with ballscrew fittings for longer life machanics. Also, the stock is quite expensive for something as large as what I need. I plan on going on down to the machine shop later today and get a quote since they can get stock cheaper than me.

Calcium--- Thanks for the joint name as well. Lugh was also kind enough to give me some helpful info regarding closet flanges. Although toilet and closet flanges are not big enough at 4". At the very minimum the gloves I have require 6" flange. I'd prefer to use my bellows gloves, but they require 8" flange. Although your plexi glass tek just gave me an idea that I might try later today. I can just take a square piece of plexi glass drill a hole in the center and round off the square edges in the lathe. Then I can mount the round item in the chuck and bore out a 7.5" hole, then put it in the indexer and drill out the bolt holes!!! I forgot all about doing it the easy way!! Though when I don't have stock beneficial to what I could do I don't think of it. I just looked at what I had and figured I couldn't do it. I honestly thought it would be a hell of a lot easier to find flanges... I mean damn.

Thanks again, all of you guys.

sYnThOmAtIc

Huh?
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »
I never said I was going to buy it!! That is why I posted this desparate query for help. There is no fucking way I would pay $1300 for a damn flange. By the time I buy four of them I could have bought a beautiful professionally built contraption.

I checked with my plumbing supply place and the hardware stores. I overlooked something which Lugh brouhgt to my attention. You think I'd waste an entire day with no sleep looking for something I could have ordered locally? I said everything was 4" only. I'm not getting on youI'm jsut reinforcing that I had no intentions of spending that ridculous ammount on something I could have machines for 200 bucks worth of stock, or had made locally for about half that. Thanks to a couple bees help I have a few different options to persue without having to mortgage my home  ;)

BTW-- what does IMO mean? In my opinion?

TURNTABLIST

I dont know how Glove boxes are built so if...
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2004, 06:22:00 AM »
I dont know how Glove boxes are built so if this is a stupid question forgive me, Are you looking for a Lap Joint Flange or just a flange that will hold gloves? A Lap Joint Flange is just a backing flange for a stub end connected to a pipe and bolts to another Lap Joint Flange to hold the two stubs together. If not and you just need a flange here is a link.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Part Number  6826K185   
 $198.07 Each   
Shape
   Flange

Flange Type
   Standard Flange

Pipe Size
   8"

Material
   CPVC

Pipe to Pipe Connection
   Socket-Weld x Socket-Weld

Schedule

Flange OD (A)
   13-33/64"

Bolt Circle Diameter (B)
   11-3/4"

Bolt Size
   3/4"

Number of Bolt Holes

Flange Thickness (C)
   1-31/64"

Color Gray

TURNTABLIST

If it doesnt matter sttel or plastic here is...
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2004, 06:32:00 AM »
If it doesnt matter sttel or plastic here is an 8" Lap joint Flange.

same link as above just enter the part number.
Part Number  68095K273   
 $36.63 Each   
Shape
   Flange

Flange Type
   Lap Joint Flange

Pipe Size
   8"

Finish
   Black

Steel
   Black Forged Steel

Pipe to Pipe Connection
   Unthreaded (flange)

Maximum Pressure (psi)

Flange OD (A)
   13-1/2"

Bolt Circle Diameter (B)
   11-3/4"

Flange Thickness (C)
   1-1/8"

Number of Bolt Holes

Bolt Size
   3/4"

Specifications Met
   ASTM A105 and ANSI B16.5

sYnThOmAtIc

Lap joint ~
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2004, 06:41:00 AM »
McMaster doesn't sell gaskets for their angle rings  :( . DAMN!!

I understand a lapjoint's purpose now after reading so much about it  :P . And your right it isn't well suited for my application. I only referneced it becuse it was the closest thing to what I was looking for that I was able to find. I saw in one of the pics I found of them that it had a lip, but didn't appear to be big enough. I did not know the proper name or even know where to look. I didn't think hvac and industrial supply places had someting as close as what I was looking ro find. Through it wouldn't have mattered cause I don't know of many industrial supply places anyway  :P  The only exhaust ad duct flanges I found at the hardware store were flimsy sheet metal with a big box on one end and ruffled sheetmetal edge on the other.

I hope that link you posted doesn't count as posting sources. I don't think it should if it matters to the moderators. It's not a chemical precursor or anything. Anybody could have a million uses for a glovebox.

I thank you as well for your help.. Hopefully you won't get bad karma now  ::) . I think that the hardest part now is finding an 8" hole saw  >:( ??  I see some six inch, but I'm not sure that they are made to cut through 1/2" plexiglass. I don't think they would cut through 1/4" plexiglass. Maybe I'm wrong? Maybe if I just mount the hole saw in a drill press and clamp the plexiglass down it should cut through?? I just don't think the teeth are fine enough to cut without chipping the plastic.

TURNTABLIST

Yea I guess that could be a source.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2004, 07:53:00 AM »
Yea I guess that could be a source. Anyway they make gloveboxes for sandblasting and they sell the rings that attaches the gloves to the box. Hell you can just buy the who box for around $100 and use the parts to build what you want.

TT