Author Topic: Lowered HI concentration, add I w/HI or just I?  (Read 2579 times)

superman

Lowered HI concentration, add I w/HI or just I?
« on: August 04, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »
now at hour 13.   the rxn fluid has gone from the starting opaque red to a faint orange, now to a  translucent red.  i've been using tfse for the thread that discusses reaction color changes but so far no luck.   there's 2g of RP in there and i began the RXN with approximately 8ml pre-prepared HI to reduce 3g/fb.  being new, my best guess is that HI concentration has dropped as there's no longer any white smoke cycling through the RXN whereas last night there was a constant flow of smoke up and then right back down into the RXN.

So if i'm right and the HI concentration has indeed dropped, should i dissolve some Iodine in some of my extra HI and [drip through cond/cool and add to test tube]?   or cool the RXN and add Iodine?   or do nothing?    or something else?

fuck i wish i could find that thread about the color changes,    we should have it in the stimulants forum faq!

EDIT:   can't wait any longer.   it's cooling down, i'm gonna add sum I and see if it improves.   maybe i can find something/someone to tell me i'm doing the right/wrong thing before it's cool

wareami

Smokey`da`bandit...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 10:14:00 PM »
Why is it that SWISM is looking for constant activity...ie smoke...color changes...?
According to SWISM's other post detailing the ratio/temp/cooktime...this rxn is akin to the LWR conditions.
There is no need to see signs with the LWR.
Set it and forget it until the prescribed time.
If the E was clean...the HI was aqueous....the MBRP was clean....then success will be had when the time is UP.
The smoke translates to an abundance of HI....an excess if you will. Very unnecessary in the grand scheme.
Ibee's run smokeless/signless rxns successfully many times.
When the reactants reach an equilibrium the reduction will take place and if this is indeed a true LWR....the reduction will occur while you're off doing other constructive things and never see it.
That's the nicest part of the LWR.
No Muss...No Fuss....No signs!

superman

Sigh (of relief) i was unaware that ...
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 03:40:00 AM »
Sigh (of relief)

i was unaware that smoke=excess HI.   after watching the smoke cycle for a few hours i expected it to be that way for the whole rxn.    i guess the 2 mL i added was a waste....

ah well,    thanks for replying wareami,   i feel a lot better now :)

will let it react until the morning before working up

barkingburro

and just in case you need this answered later
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 04:11:00 PM »
just in case you do have to fix the HI concentration in later reactions the way to do it is by adding more HI or more RP. the RP is actually consumed over the course of the reaction where as the I2 is what is being recycled. adding more i2 just increases the amount of i2. without a way for it to be recycled (rp, h3po3, h3po2) it will just sit there being yellow.

superman

cool, thx, HI is easyest for me as i just drip
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 07:10:00 PM »
cool, thx,   HI is easyest for me as i just drip it thru the condenser

CharlieBigpotato

getting an ideal concentration?
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 03:22:00 PM »
it would bee sweet to have a way of obtaining an ideal HI concentration; i.e., no excess, for the type of rxn that wareami describes (boring and safe).
might there bee a chem that could bee added, drop-wise, to an initially flooded rxn, that would lock-up the excess H2O into an inert compound?

if so, it would bee added just to the point of allowing a sign of gaseous HI evolution?

(i can't think of one either)

Shane_Warne

The way to tell if the HI is losing avtivity,...
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 09:00:00 PM »
The way to tell if the HI is losing avtivity, is by colour changes.
The iodine is dissociating from the HI, because there isn't enough recycling agent.

You can have to forms of HI problems relating to concentration. You can have a solution where there's a dissociation problem, due to not enough recycling agent (turbid/brown/orange/red), and you can have a concentration problem where there's too much water:I2 & recycler (clear solution).

Having said that, some absolutly atrocious looking solutions have worked!

It doesn't take a very good HI solution to get you high, it's probably a neurotoxic high though.