Author Topic: eBay to Feds: come and get what you want  (Read 2076 times)

RoundBottom

eBay to Feds: come and get what you want
« on: September 19, 2003, 10:47:00 PM »
this should make you think more about using ebay...

biggest shudder, "eBay has logged every item of user information since 1995"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/32936.html

eBay to Feds: come and get what you want
By Andrew Orlowski
Posted: 19/09/2003 at 19:24 GMT

Israeli daily Haaretz has unearthed highly embarrassing, and disturbing comments by an eBay executive. To an audience of law enforcement officials, eBay's Joseph Sullivan boasts that his company's privacy policy is meaningless.

"We don't make you show a subpoena, except in exceptional cases," Sullivan told a closed-door session at the CyberCrime 2003 conference last week.

"When someone uses our site and clicks on the `I Agree' button, it is as if he agrees to let us submit all of his data to the legal authorities. Which means that if you are a law-enforcement officer, all you have to do is send us a fax with a request for information, and ask about the person behind the seller's identity number, and we will provide you with his name, address, sales history and other details - all without having to produce a court order. We want law enforcement people to spend time on our site."

Law enforcement snoopers will have plenty of material to work with: Sullivan also boasts that eBay has logged every item of user information since 1995. eBay helps with over 200 a month, Haaretz reports.

hypo

wow
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 10:50:00 PM »
isn't that illegal?

RoundBottom

who cares
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2003, 02:48:00 AM »
does it matter anymore?  you 'merican bees got it rough.  basically, with the PATRIOT act, anyone can be considered a threat to national security.  look at that meth cook a couple weeks ago.

that flask you bought?  could be used to make chemical agents (how you get those molecules to wear trenchcoats and sunglasses is beyond me). 

that sodium hydroxide you bought?  same thing.

that jerry garcia tie?  you're a subversive... expect a visit.

Chewbacca

shit
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2003, 07:42:00 AM »
shit, thats harsh! how about overseas purchases? would it bee common that US feds contact law enforcement agencies of other countries so that they can bust up cooks who buy their equipment from ebay?

halfkast

Rough
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2003, 12:31:00 PM »
Never used them, never will now.

xboXer

HA!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2003, 09:34:00 AM »
I knew there was a bad vibe from that e-fuckin-bay crap! never did sign on (praise da lord) I don't know how many times I got "Check out ebay dude, you can find it there no problem!" and "Cheaper on ebay" Hell yeah it's legal, if you pushed the "I AGREE" button, you have read and understood the terms. That is a legal contract that says you can be bent and fucked, but are not allowed to bend and fuck others, namely the the ones who'er waiting for your "agreement". Due to the titanic mounds of bullshit litigation that uses loopholes and manipulitive wording, more and more there is the use of fucking contracts that are broken down into chapters. Bubble gum? sure. sign here... and here... o.k. and one here... now initial here, here, and here... GREAT! now one more signature and the date...and heres your gum to chew in accordence with the signed contract. Have a nice day...
If the world wasn't so sue happy. It is as though people think that sue them, and you are on easy street. Except it just gets more difficult for the rest of the herd to get along. anyway, FINGERS e bay, ,,|,,_ _,,|,,
hope Howard Stern dumps a load of famous feces through just as a publicity stunt gone horribly wrong. heheheheheheh baba BOOEY!

Tdurden969

Click licenses
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 01:05:00 AM »
if you pushed the "I AGREE" button, you have read and understood the terms. That is a legal contract that

Have "click" contracts been found enforceable in court? I remember reading that EULA's (which are similar) have been found to be null in some jurisdictions..

Just wondering.

T

gluecifer69

To Hell w/ ebay
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 09:44:00 AM »
Swim was just about to make thier first purchase from ebay.(a condenser and flask)  If swim has been busted before, when swim orders from ebay will him,her be "red Flagged"? Does the govt. really have these so called red flags, to monitor criminals deviants etc. If there are such things could someone please enlighten me on how they work?
Would it bee safe for swims friend, who has never been busted for anything and is over 50yrs to have the glass ware delievered to their house?  Just wondering? :(  :(  :(

DjTime

Check laws
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2003, 05:39:00 PM »
SWIM thinks that you should check all your State, and local, city or county laws first because in some states itis illegeal to own glassware without a license, including condensers.

yellium

Think again before you buy something from...
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2003, 08:50:00 PM »
Think again before you buy something from ebay: things might not be illegal to possess *now*, but they may be next year.

DjTime

Yesterdays news.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2003, 11:29:00 PM »
SWIM thinks that this shgouldn't come as a suprise to many bees who have/do use the bay. It states explictly in the user agreemnet that LE can get anything they want in "MOST" cases without a subpeona. This article that RoundBottom brings up was available 7 months ago. UTFSE using eBay and it brings up some 655 matches in which a good portion of the
hits discuss why, and why not to use the bay.