Author Topic: reduction method?? -simpson  (Read 2311 times)

dormouse

reduction method?? -simpson
« on: April 25, 2000, 01:36:00 AM »

the Hive BB
  Novel Discourse
  reduction method??

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic 
Author  Topic:   reduction method?? 
simpson
NewBee   posted 03-01-2000 12:43 PM           
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi to all of you ;
i thought about a simple and mild reduction of cinnamomic-alcohol.
Just have a look and please tell me what you think about it!!
Take ferrumoxalate ( sorry; but i don`t know if it`s right called in english course my chemical english is not the best!! if it`s not the right name, this would do it : ferriúm salt of ethandiacid) and heat it gently. The yellow colour of the oxalate will turn into the grey of ferrum that is in a co2 atmosphere; so the air isn`t able to oxidise it! (the co2 comes from the oxalate) short: you have a high reactiv ferrum dust that is now able to be oxidised to fe(3+)!!
The only thing that could be reduced is the alcohol ; cinnamonic-alc; so look---?

Theory: 2 FeC2O4 + 3 R=CH-CH2OH ---? 3 R-C=CH-CH3 + 2 Fe2O3 + 4 CO2
?---
so; this was the theory but now are the problems coming!!
1. wouldn`t the doublebond polymerisise before the oxalate is devided into Fe and co2
2. is the ferrum reaciv enough to reduce the alkenol( yes, i know! It isn`t a real enol but i forgot the name!!) ...
so, that was it. Please tell me what you think about it
#simpson#

All times are CT (US)
 next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
    Hop to: Select a Forum or ArchiveList of Forums:General DiscussionNewbie ForumAcquisition DiscourseChemistry DiscourseMethods DiscourseNovel DiscourseCrystal MethSerious Chemistry ForumThe Hive CouchAdmin Chill-out TentList of Archives:Couch ArchivesClassics!Law and OrderThe litter box.misc. PEAs  

Contact Us | the Hive