Author Topic: Analogue bees, attention: 3,4-dimethyl-amphetamine  (Read 8150 times)

Antoncho

Analogue bees, attention: 3,4-dimethyl-amphetamine
« on: July 11, 2002, 01:31:00 PM »
Here's a digest of some info i've found in

Patent GB573120

:

As you can see, there's quite something to think of. I purposefully posted this into Novel, not General Discourse, for i am very curious how one would go about synthing such a compound, and i want to ask you for ideas ;)

In the patent they say they made the subst'd phenylacetone by

a) Chloromethylation of ortho-xylene

b) Cyanide coupling do give nitrile

c) Condensation of it w/acetoacetic ester in strong base (EtONa)

Now, the last two steps are quite tricky and require strictly unhyfrous conditions, but from step 1 it seems logical to assume that chloromethylation takes place in the 'correct' position. At least they say nothing about separation of positional isomers (but don't specify explicit procedures either, xcept for the last reductive amination step w/methanolic NH3/H2 under pressure).

That benzyl chloride can bee reacted w/hexamethylenetetramine in known manner to give the aldehyde - and then the traditional nitropropene stuff.

Anyway, thought someone might bee interested to know. What do you think? ;)

Antoncho

foxy2

3,4-dimethylbenzaldehyde synthesis
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2002, 03:04:00 PM »
Preparation of substituted benzaldehydes by reacting substituted benzene with carbon monoxide in the presence of metal halides and acids.

Patent US6080892

EXAMPLE 1
100.0 g of aluminum chloride (mol. wt. 133.34; 750 mmol) was poured over about 484.55 g of chlorotoluene in a 2 liter Paar.RTM.-brand stainless steel reaction vessel. Five drops of aqueous hydrochloric acid (concentrated) were then added and the vessel was sealed and purged two times with nitrogen at 60 psi. Then about 67.6 g of o-xylene (mol. wt. 106.17; 625 mmol) were charged to the vessel. The reactor was then purged three times with carbon monoxide at a pressure of about 110 psi. After the final purging, the vessel was vented and a final introduction of CO was made at a final pressure of about 110 psig, the pressure at which the reaction was maintained for the total reaction time of about 18 hours (the reaction temperature was maintained at about 5 DEG C. for the duration as well). After that time, the resultant mixture (exhibiting a dark orange color) was purged three times with nitrogen and poured into about 570 g of ice water (which turned the solution a dark purple), to which was then added 500 mL of cyclohexane (which turned the color to grey and produced a two-phase mixture). The top, organic layer was removed and washed three times with water using a separatory funnel and dried over magnesium sulfate. The residual organic phase was then distilled under a vacuum to remove o-xylene, cyclohexane, and chlorotoluene, and left about 74.36 g of the 3,4-dimethylbenzaldehyde target product (554 mmol; yield of approximately 88.7%).

EXAMPLE 2
99.4 g of aluminum chloride (mol. wt. 133.34; 745 mmol) and about 74.0 g of o-xylene (mol. wt. 106.17; 697 mmol) were charged to a 2 liter Paar.RTM.-brand stainless steel reaction vessel with about 150 mL of o-dichlorobenzene. The vessel was sealed, purged two times with nitrogen at 50 psi, then once with carbon monoxide at a pressure of 100 psi. After the final purging, the vessel was vented and a final introduction of CO was made at a final pressure of about 40 psig, the pressure at which the reaction was maintained for the total reaction time of about 14 hours (the reaction temperature was maintained at about 18-200 DEG C. for the duration as well). Once the reaction was complete, the resultant mixture was poured into about 600 g of ice water to produce about 900 mL of a two-phase mixture. The top, organic layer was removed and washed three times with water using a separatory funnel and dried over magnesium sulfate. The residual organic phase was then decolorized with activated charcoal and subsequently distilled under a vacuum to remove o-xylene (which has a boiling point of about 143-145 DEG C.), then o-dichlorobenzene (which has a boiling point of from about 174 to 180 DEG C.), and left about 50 g of the 3,4-dimethylbenzaldehyde target product (372.5 mmol; yield of approximately 50%).

Synthesis of aldehydes using the Gattermann-Koch reaction without activators.
Golubev, G. S.; Simonova, T. A.; Aleksandrov, V. N.; Gitis, S. S.   
Zh. Prikl. Khim. (Leningrad)  (1979),  52(4),  954-5. 
ISSN: 0044-4618.  Journal in Russian.  CAN 91:56544   
Abstract
Gattermann-Koch formylation of RC6H4Me (R = H, 2- and 3-Me) in C6H6 contg. AlCl3, HCO2H and SOCl2 or PCl5 gave 56.4-68.4% x,4-RMeC6H3CHO. (This article is on its way)

Methylbenzaldehydes

Patent JP54157534

Abstract
Methylbenzaldehydes were prepd. by liq.-phase autoxidn. of polymethylbenzenes having 2-4 Me groups in the presence of sol. Br compds. over >0.005 mol equiv sol. Co salts in 1.0 mol equiv. satd. fatty acids or their anhydrides as solvents at <85° to a point of <95% conversion.  Thus, a liq. mixt. of 1:12.5:0.3:0.03 M 1,3,5-Me3C6H3, HOAc, Co(OAc)2.4H2O, and Br was heated 30 min at 49-51° with introduction of O to give dimethylbenzaldehydes with 61% selectivity and 59% conversion, vs. 23 and 58%, resp., without Br.  Similarly oxidized were 1,2,4,5-Me4C6H2, o-, m-, and p-xylene, and 1,2,4-Me3C6H3.

Process for the preparation of substituted benzaldehydes

Patent US4622429

This is the traditional gattermann-koch reaction which requires high pressure(~1000psi) HCL and CO.

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

neuromodulator

It's really not that complicated.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2002, 03:47:00 PM »
If you've got, ortho-xylene, then simply formylate it by whichever method is most accessible to you to get 3,4-dimethylbenzaldehyde.  After that, the hardest part is obtaining the nitroethane and deciding how you would like to reduce the beta-nitropropene.

Rhodium

This seems to be a pretty interesting substance, ...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2002, 02:34:00 PM »
This seems to be a pretty interesting substance, it is halfway between amphetamine and IAP, the indanyl-aminopropane with distinct serotonergic effects. I'd say that the same synthetic route would apply to o-Xylene as for Indane.

tiresias3

More interesting yet...
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2002, 04:33:00 PM »
Get some 1,2,3-trimethylbenzene, formylate it, condense that with MeNO2, reduce and let us know how things turn out!

Nemo_Tenetur

precursor not available ..
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2002, 12:12:00 AM »
shulgin mentioned 3,4,5-trimethylamphetamine as a very powerful compound. I've looked for 1,2,3-trimethylbenzene and found nothing commercially available. It was mentioned in a belgian chem. supplier catalogue, but upon request they were unable to supply this substance :( .

tiresias3

OK then...
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2002, 02:47:00 PM »
Buy some ortho-xylene.  React your ortho-xylene with stannous chloride and CH2Cl2-O-CH3 to yield 3,4-dimethylbenzaldehyde.  Take your 3,4-dimethylbenzaldehyde and react with AlCl3 and MeX, where X is Cl, Br or I.  Runaway alkylation of the benzene ring shouldn't be a problem because the aldehyde is electron withdrawing and thus  
deactivating to the aromatic nucleus.  Also, the carboxaldehyde group is also meta-directing (towards the 5-position), so the 5-position will be the first to be added on to in this example.  If runaway alkylation does turn out to be a problem experimentally, use a less powerful Lewis acid such as FeCl3 or ZnCl2 even.  Finally, if all else fails do a Friedel Crafts acylation followed by a Zn/Hg reduction of the carbonyl group to get your 3,4,5-trimethylbenzaldehyde.  In the case of the FC acylation, as opposed to the shorter FC alkylation, the electron withdrawing carbonyl group deactivates the ring even further and there will be absolutely no further alkylation of the benzene ring after that.

Viola...3,4,5-trimethlylbenzaldehyde.

However, keep in mind I was really only half seriously mentioning actually making this compound, especially the amphetamine derivative of it.  Methyl groups are mean, while ethyl is ethereal.  I would think following this outline would lead to a very bad trip, but what is candy if not poison?

Tricky

By the way...
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2002, 09:36:00 AM »
It's really interesting stuff.
To my sincerely regret my knowledges in farma are trifling...
But, what are you think about activity of amphetamine (TMA-6 analog!), which produced from mesitilene (2,4,6-trimethylbenzaldehyde)??? 

The description of mesitilene synthesis you may find at

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv5p0049

There's a hole in our soul that we fill with dope
And we're feeling fine.

Rhodium

More information
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 09:05:00 PM »
Hey, definitely check

Post 301119 (missing)

(terbium: "2,5-dimethylamphetamine", Newbee Forum)
, and

Post 338530 (missing)

(Dr_Heckyll: "YAA - Yet Another Amphetamine", Stimulants)
is also of interest.

Dr_Heckyll

1,2,3-trimethylbenzene
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2002, 09:48:00 PM »
Nemo_Tenetur: I've looked for 1,2,3-trimethylbenzene and found nothing commercially available. It was mentioned in a belgian chem. supplier catalogue, but upon request they were unable to supply this substance.

Looks like you didn't do your homework thoroughly. 1,2,3-TRIMETHYLBENZENE (CAS# 526-73-8) is available and cheap:

-> TCI 500 ml ~ $90
-> Lancaster 1L ~ $90
-> ICN 100g  ~ $700 (they always have insane prices, I wonder who buys from them? The gov't probably...)
-> ACROS 100 ml ~ $20

Didn't enquire, though, but it appears to be a common compound...

And what about 1,2,4-trimethylbenzene, which is even cheaper?

-> ACROS 2.5 LT  ~ $50
-> and many others

Hell, where are methylbenzenes reactive? Ortho, meta or para? Do they react like phenols and phenol ethers? Any hardcore refs? Or do I have to move my lazy ass to the library and find out?  :(  Have a list long as a roll of toilette paper to research in the library already  :(   :( .

For every molecule there is a moron thinking it will be a great drug

Rhodium

Methylbenzenes are ortho, para-directing, but ...
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2002, 10:38:00 PM »
Methylbenzenes are ortho, para-directing, but much less reactive than phenols and phenol ethers - therefore only certain formylation methods can be used on them to produce benzaldehydes.

Formylation of 1,2,3-trimethylbenzene should give ~60-70% 2,3,4-trimethylbenzaldehyde and ~30-40% 3,4,5-trimethylbenzaldehyde.

tiresias3

2Tricky.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2002, 04:12:00 PM »
That looks like a 'stunning' idea in deed to me, Tricky, but ethyl would be preferable.  Maybe even throw in a methoxy or to to keep it trippy/gentle, for example psi-DOET (4-ethyl-2,6-dimethoxy-AMP).

BTW, I love your music!

While in the land of the limbo, beware the green eyed monsters.--Tiresias3

"Follow where Mary goes,
Cherish the things she knows.
Says if I change my stride,
Then I'll fly.
She makes me me wanna cry,
and change my stride.
Then I'll fly."--Tricky, _Pre-Millenium Tension_

yellium

Ethyls are nasty. See 2C-E.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2002, 04:39:00 PM »
Ethyls are nasty. See 2C-E.

foxy2

what
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2002, 10:38:00 PM »
2C-E  sounds VERY interesting.

Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Barium

2C-E is very interesting.
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2002, 04:31:00 AM »
2C-E is very interesting. It seems to have been used as a therapeutic aid in Europe.

Sunlight

2C-D
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2002, 06:18:00 AM »
I know (absolutely sure) that 2C-D has been used in Europe as therapetical aid. I talked a while with a friend that was there and told me it is interesting, it's still not illegal, but I don't see a easy way to make more than anecdothical amounts.

Barium

If 2C-E is to be made from scratch it seems a bit ...
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2002, 07:16:00 AM »
If 2C-E is to be made from scratch it seems a bit messy as all the 2,5-dimethoxy-4-alkyl-PEA´s. But I happen to have the fortune to be able to buy whatever benzaldehydes I need in kilo amounts.  :P

yellium

After I took one dosage of 2C-E (12 mg), I ...
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2002, 12:28:00 PM »
After I took one dosage of 2C-E (12 mg), I suffered from mental flashbacks for at least half a year. And that includes severe anxiety for a number of seconds. To the point where you'd want to give up anything in order for the torture to stop. A mental institution almost sounds like *fun* when you're having those attacks.

Anyway, I don't know whether it's me, my neurochemistry, the results of a `typical phenethylamine head trip' (I guess high dosage 2CT2/2CT7 can be just as nasty), or the compound itself. However, I tend to agree with Shulgin: `for the moment, let it rest as being a difficult and worth-while material'. Once a year, at most.

Lilienthal

Precursor from Aldrich
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2003, 11:12:00 AM »
To bring this up again (and back to the topic): 3,4-dimethyl-benzoic acid can be bought from Aldrich 10 g / €34.30, 100 g €168.30). Reduction + Oxidation would be an easy and safe way to 3,4-dimethyl-benzaldehyde. Who knows, maybe it's more MDMA-like than being a stimulant...

Lilienthal

If you want to save some money you can go this
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2003, 04:10:00 AM »
If you want to save some money you can go this way:

4-methyl-benzaldehyde (500 g / €59.60) __> 3-bromo-4-methyl-benzaldehyde __> 3-bromo-4-methyl-benzaldehyde acetal __> 3,4-dimethyl-benzaldehyde

using an aromatic bromination / Grignard substitution sequence.