Author Topic: Safrole from sassafras root/bark?  (Read 2387 times)

Sektor7G

Safrole from sassafras root/bark?
« on: January 24, 2002, 07:29:00 PM »
I was just looking around and found some  already ground up sassafras root/bark for $30 for 16oz. What are some methods for extraction? Im just to paranoid to order chems through the mail:)

transform

Re: Safrole from sassafras root/bark?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2002, 07:56:00 PM »
If i'm not mistaken, this is in the wrong thread. Correct me if im wrong cause it's very likely I could be according to some bees who think of me as a moron. :P

My mommy always told me not to talk to strangers..

transform

Re: Safrole from sassafras root/bark?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2002, 08:08:00 PM »

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/tcboe/chapter5.html

Extracting sassafras oil from root bark is easy. The hard part is learning to identify the tree and then digging up the roots. The easiest way to learn to identify the tree is to visit an arboretum. The leaves alternate on the stem and are of three shapes. Often all three shaped leaves are on the same tree. They are 3-" long and 1 1/2-4" wide. When a tree is located, dig up the roots. Wash them and scrape off all of the bark. The oil can now be steam distilled from the root bark scrapings. As steam passes through the roots, it extracts oil through azeotropic distillation and the oil and water condense in the condenser. The oil and water are then collected in suitable sized containers. The oil can be seen as tiny droplets in the condensing water. When no more droplets are see all of the oil has been extracted.

Separate the oil from the water by pouring off the excess water and then pouring the rest into a separatory funnel to separate oil from the remaining water. The oil is heavier than water. Dry the oil with calcium chloride or other drying agent and place in a boiling flask for distillation. Collect the portion boiling from ~228-235°C, this is safrole. The main other fraction will pass at lower temps and consist mainly of pinene. Using reduced pressure is highly recommended since it is hard to maintain an oil bath at this high a temperature. The yield will also be decreased at higher temperatures due to destruction of the safrole. At 10-11 mmHg safrole bolls at 100-101°C. Isolate safrole from commercial oils by similar distillation of the oil.

My mommy always told me not to talk to strangers..