Author Topic: Hg (l) from any source containing Hg  (Read 2716 times)

politoxicomania

Hg (l) from any source containing Hg
« on: November 04, 2003, 09:22:00 PM »
Here´s the preparation of pure and liquid Hg.

Sources are Salts, Amalgam (Alkali ! Danger), chalk like zinnober or whatever contains Hg.

Solute your Substance in konz. HNO3. The Hg will be soluted. Now precipitate the Hg2Cl2 with addition of HCl.
 Ag or Pb will also precipitate. Solute this precipitate in hot water to solute the Pb . Hg and Ag will stay as solid salt. Now penetrate this solid with konz.ammonik (NH3). The Hg will stay solid as Hg(NH2)Cl wich is black solid. Collect this stuff and solute it in HNO3. Neutralize this solution and precipitate the Hg as HgS with H2S. Collect the HgS, dry, mix it with the needed amount of Fe powder and heat it. Hg will destill and u can yield it very pure.

And again: Hg and all of its salts are exremly noxious.
Dont try this at home!!!!

hypo

uuuuhhhhhh....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 09:43:00 PM »
> And again: Hg and all of its salts are exremly noxious.

H2S isn't exactly nice either...

(sounds like a quote from freshman lab instructions or is it from jander-blasius?)

politoxicomania

Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 09:56:00 PM »
Jander Blasius is a good book for students in the beginning.
Isnt it?

H2S is   but u can smell it .........

moo

H2S
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 10:00:00 PM »
You can smell it up to a certain limit, after which the smell goes away and you think that it's ok now... no it isn't! And there is no antidote either.

politoxicomania

Pfffff
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 10:05:00 PM »
And how would u prepare Hg ??

And again: Hg and all of its salts are exremly noxious.
Dont try this at home!!!!

lugh

Mercury
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 02:46:00 AM »
Most bees acquire mercury from mercury switches, if the truth bee known, since these switches are used in so many applications  ;D  The time tested method for producing mercuric chloride is to dissolve mercury in an excess of sulfuric acid, crystallize the mercuric sulfate, and heat it with aqueous sodium chloride, sublimating the mercuric chloride, the source of it's common name, corrosive sublimate  ;)  This and many other methods are covered here, like much of what you've posted, if you check you'll see there's thousands of posts  :)  Lots of bees work with mercury at home, hopefully without contaminating the environment, techniques for avoiding that are posted here also  8)  We even have methods for creating and handling hydrogen sulfide posted, but that's something we don't recommend, since there's no way to make it idiot proof  ;)  Much more could bee posted on the subject of mercury, but there's not a great deal of interest in industrial methods, analytical procedures or other chemical data since they're not usually adaptable to home use  :)  We appreciate attempts to inform the newbees, but scientists should always bee prepared for a critic, there's many buzzing around here waiting to pounce  ;D

hellman

this is an old classic
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 07:26:00 AM »
I know this is a little lame,
but, all the same,
it is a good source of Hg,

Just waltz down to any good supermarket,
crack the babies open, not under your armpit,
Turn it into a salt, hey, no problem,
a few sprinkles of tincture not from your pocket

Iodine, A smooth silky red sand will u see,
Convert it back for the ol' pur-i-ty-

(even ryhmes, how a bout that!)
hm

halfkast

Nice politix (not mexicana :-D ) But there's...
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 09:56:00 AM »
Nice politix (not mexicana  ;D )

But there's just too many dangerous steps to a dangerous product I feel. That's the strong impression I get.

However, I don't share they're lack of adventure or opinion that if something is easily bought then an alternative isn't worth the paper it's written on?

I won't bee rushing to do this anytime soon, but do you have a synth that uses a single step that includes strong heating (outdoors) and a distillation?