Author Topic: oil of mugwort  (Read 3637 times)

cattleprodder

oil of mugwort
« on: May 14, 2003, 12:09:00 PM »
Does anyone know off hand the percent composition of
3,5-dimethoxy-1-allylbenzene in the somewhat expensive but nevertheless commercially available oil of mugwort? 

Shulgin makes a passing reference to the presence of the aforementioned essential oil under the Essential Spice Oil discussion in Pihkal (under TMA), saying that the oil itself is a reputed stimulant and opiate poisoning antidote according to traditional folklore.

I can only imagine what 3,5-dimethoxyamphetamine would be like, but I must admit to being a 1,3,5 / 2,4,6 120 degree bond angle trisubstitution pattern junkie as THC and TMA-6 both enthrall me, not unlike Tantalus the fox and his proverbial bunch of flavonoid containing grapes.

cattleprodder

Was Shulgin wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2003, 12:39:00 PM »
I just did a quick search for the percent composition of the oil of mugwort and it apparently contains alpha and beta thujone as its essential oils.  STAY AWAY.

Anyway, 3,5-dimethoxybenzaldehyde is only about 70 USD for 10 grams.

phase_dancer

I've often wondered about this.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2003, 08:09:00 PM »
I've often wondered about this. Apart from Shulgins mention I've seen nothing on any activity of 3,5 dimethoxy PEA's or amphetamines.

Placing fresh mugwort in a pillow makes for amazing dreams. I assume this is mainly due to the thujone

Rhodium

3,5-Dimethoxyphenethylamine Activity
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 03:56:00 AM »
According to

J. Org. Chem. 23(12), 1979-1984 (1958)

(https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/pdf/activity.of.subst.peas.in.cats.pdf) 3,5-Dimethoxyphenethylamine is completely devoid of entheogenic effects in a study made on cats. It can probably be assumed that the 3,5-Dimethoxyamphetamine analog isn't that fun either.

However, the article do list several other compounds which could be of interest; such as 3,5-Dibromo-4-methoxy-PEA, 3,5-Dimethyl-4-methoxy-PEA and 3,4,5-Trimethyl-PEA. I think the preparation of all these compounds has already been posted here on the Hive.

phase_dancer

Interesting read
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 07:19:00 PM »
Thanks Rhodium

At the dosage used (25mg/kg intramuscular) those compounds may certainly warrant further investigation.

After reading GPig2's post on

Post 370205

(GPig2: "4-isobutyl-3,5-dimethoxy-PEA = POISON", Serious Chemistry)
I wondered whether other 4th position substitutes may have been tried. I don't really understand why the 3,5-methoxy amines would be thought to be µ opioid antagonists, but then again my SAR knowledge is somewhat limited.