Author Topic: 'oil droplets' in reflux?  (Read 4659 times)

NaXen

'oil droplets' in reflux?
« on: October 21, 2004, 08:40:00 PM »
SWIM noticed recently that while observing the reflux in a liebig condenser that there are what appear to be tons of very tiny oil droplets streaming down with the water in the condenser, whats is this stuff? mAMP freebase?

Dragan

is it yellow? swim dont know what it is, but...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 10:05:00 AM »
is it yellow? swim dont know what it is, but some times his bathroom is yellow from this shit. He think it is HI, bau he is no einstain ;)

NaXen

cloudy white
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 10:39:00 AM »
swim says that it looked cloudy white or grey (light) with a hint of yellow

moo

It's too acidic there for any amine to be a...
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 11:24:00 AM »
It's too acidic there for any amine to be a freebase.

geezmeister

probably gakk
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 11:44:00 AM »
That doesn't sound familiar to me. Tiny droplets that are whitish or grayish forming in the condenser and running down with the other condensate sounds like an oil to me... and it sounds like there is something in the mix you really don't want in the mix. It might be a gakk, or residue left in the flask, or trash from the red phosphorous. IT could also be an oily wax from the not-quite-clean pseudo vaporizing and recondensing.

NaXen

hm
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 09:22:00 PM »
moo: thats what swim figured...

it just seems like theres way too much of it to be gakk, but maybe SWIN just dont want to face the truth! the I2 was reagent grade and the rp was well cleaned, the pseudo was extracted from generic white 60s, cleaned via SPD and solvant washes. (this is still a working cleaning procedure- right? :-[ ) anyhow, thanks for the ideas geez! Once SWIN can understand what these foul foliants are, he'll be one step closer to banishing them from pseudoville *mwahaha*  8)