Author Topic: Legal ketone to experiment with red. amination?  (Read 2034 times)

ning

Legal ketone to experiment with red. amination?
« on: October 29, 2003, 10:24:00 AM »
Someone, somewhere once wished to experiment with new methods of reductive amination, but did not want to use expensive, difficult to obtain, or illegal ketones and aldehydes. Said something about it being pointless and uncool. Strange dude, really.
That person (was it a person, I wonder?), did, for some reason, want results obtained by reducing this ketone to apply to the aforementioned ketones and aldehydes. And so this person left a note, asking ning to put the question to the collective mind of the hive--what sort of ketone could this be?
Methyl ethyl ketone seems good, having a strangely familiar shape to it.
Or perhaps acetone, since it is so common?

Ning requests ideas, for curiosity knows no bounds.

Kinetic

Phenyl-2-butanone
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 01:17:00 PM »
No doubt about it :)

That way, you can do some legal 'experimenting' with the end product too. Of course you'll have to make the ketone first, but it's only one step from super-cheap benzyl cyanide - simply replace methyl iodide with ethyl iodide in the procedure

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/amphetamine.html

, then hydrolyse the imine to the ketone instead of reducing with borohydride ala Rhodium.

I'm sure this isn't the reply you're looking for, but it seems a shame to waste good methylamine on something you can't consume at the end of the reaction.

Molecule:

Phenylacetone; phenyl-2-propanone (" CC(=O)Cc2ccc1c1c2 ")

Molecule:

Phenyl-2-butanone (" CCC(=O)Cc2ccc1c1c2 ")

cublium

b-methyl amphetamine derived from this acetone
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 09:41:00 PM »
a-ethyl(n-methyl)phenylethylamine derived from this acetone should be active to some extenct.

Kinetic

Some extent
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 05:55:00 AM »
Hi cublium :)

That's what I was implying when I referred to the 'legal experimenting' in my previous post.

I have to disagree slightly however: 'some extent' should be replaced by a phrase such as 'a rather good degree, especially taking into account it's legal status' 8)

For a bioassay see

Post 372259 (missing)

(Bwiti: "1-Phenyl-2-Methylaminobutane HCl", General Discourse)
; I have it on good authority the amine in question was prepared via reductive amination of the aforementioned phenyl-2-butanone.

I'm certain the compound will be of comparable status to methamphetamine; I know for certain that the methcathinone analogue is to methcathinone...

Post 465794 (missing)

(Kinetic: "2-methylamino-1-phenyl-1-butanone", Stimulants)