Author Topic: how to remove HI stains from equipment?  (Read 25921 times)

aragorn

how to remove HI stains from equipment?
« on: April 23, 2004, 06:32:00 PM »
SWIM dreamed about ma synth via a HI/Rp reduction of ephedrine a long time ago,unfortunately the setup wasn´t leakproof and the HI corroded all metal equipment. Sure that´s irreversible but SWIMs problem is that the stains on plastic devices aren´t removable with common cleaning technics too.It seems that the plastic parts aren´t really damaged, the HI just coloured the surfaces. 

SWIM wonders if there´s a good method to remove such nasty stains.

elfspice

it's iodine
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 05:53:00 AM »
not HI. I2 stains plastics permanently, you cannot remove the stain because to do that you would need an oxidiser which penetrates the plastic the same way as the iodine. there's probably an oxidiser that is nonpolar like iodine, but i don't know what it is. Just throw it away. Use only black plastics and rubber to avoid this in future. Or be prepared to throw out any polymer of any description.

It's vaguely possible if it was left in the sun the iodine might be liberated, heat and UV, heat subliming, UV promoting oxidation...

place

Iodine-go-away?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 07:20:00 PM »
what about if you get the yellow I2 colour on your hands, is it posseble to remove that with any solvent?

karl

thiosulphate?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 11:11:00 PM »
Use an acidified thiosulphate solution to reduce the I2. Not sure if that is appropriate for your skin though i.e. acid strength

ApprenticeCook

Just let it wear off after a few days, unlike...
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 04:08:00 AM »
Just let it wear off after a few days, unlike some other things it wont take that long to just go away.

Use solvents or acids on your hands is a no-no.... just leave your body to its own devices.

elfspice

sodium carbonate/bicarbonate?
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 04:28:00 AM »
would sodium bicarbonate or sodium carbonate solution be alkaline to ionise the iodine?

DrLucifer

Iodine hands!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 05:31:00 AM »
Swim remembers the day when he had severe I2 stains on his hands (the day he didnt wear gloves) and the police rocked up to inspect swims guns.
Swim has an intercom at his gate w/camera, so after cursing about the I2 stains, his outburst was interrupted by Constable huey & loui talking through the intercom!!
swim almost died, he also almost shit myself!
Swim will point out that the police did not state they wanted to inspect the guns through the intercom, so he thought they were here to bust him.
To cut a long story short, I doused myself with deoderant and poured blue, green & red food dye all over my hands and shirt and said that i was tyedying an apron, lmao  ;)
I2 stains lasted about 10-12hrs.

Martian_A

Usually Homebrand Citrus ProductS:)
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 04:40:00 AM »
Leave for 10-30 min, and see it disapear:)

Offline ricky

• Pupae
Re: how to remove HI stains from equipment?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 01:15:07 AM »

Offline jon

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 05:12:49 PM »
sodium bisulfite Is also suitable for this purpose a dilute solution of around 5% works fine when washing organic layers sodium thiosulfate is used also to remove halogens for example when halogenating arenes see electrophilic aromatic substitution reaction.

Offline Tsathoggua

• Spaz Tech
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 10:37:08 AM »
Was going to suggest the same, hypo solution has been the iodine-stain-remover du jour for ages. Why? it works and its not something one would consider hideously toxic, which is always a bonus.
Nomen mihi Legio est, quia multi sumus

I'm hyperbolic, hypergolic, viral, chiral. So motherfucking twisted my laevo is on the right side.