Author Topic: substitutions for Pd for the Wacker oxidation -drone 342  (Read 2497 times)

dormouse

substitutions for Pd for the Wacker oxidation -drone 342
« on: April 19, 2000, 12:44:00 PM »
Author  Topic:   substitutions for Pd for the Wacker oxidation 
drone 342
Member   posted 09-20-98 05:24 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being the sick monkey I am, I fantasize about using other metals to do my dirtwork as catalysts. While Pd2+ species serve us well, what about the use of other metals for this same purpose of converting olefins into ketones? Might any nickel compounds do it, or would the geometry be too sensetive for that? If Ni(Cl)2 could be used, the price of MDMA production just went down considerably. What other metals are worthy of ponderance?
-drone #342

labgrrrl
Member   posted 09-25-98 03:01 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you looked vanadium? It's been used to selectively oxydize olefins in the past and is actually proposed as a better than Wacker in at least one U.S. patent.
-labgrrrl

labgrrrl
Member   posted 09-25-98 03:01 PM          
Sorry for the awful English...
I'll dig up some patent info and either post the reference or retype part of the patent here.

-labgrrrl

drone 342
Member   posted 09-27-98 02:06 PM          
Hey whuzzup!?,
Say, do you have the patent number for that handy? I've heard a little about this, but of course vanadium has its own aquisition problems (I could be wrong on this, so if you know of a good place to get it cheap, lemme know.) RhCl3 is good, but its even more rare and expensive than either of these. I've always been suspicious that perhaps the right Ni2+ species might work, but I haven't seen any literature backing that up. I'm going to do some more digging, and hopefully come up with something. I'm looking forward to seeing the patent you dug up.

-drone #342