Site > News

Real-life Breaking Bad: Chemistry professor busted over secret lab

<< < (2/8) > >>

AnyNameWillDo:

--- Quote from: Scarecrow on September 14, 2015, 05:42:19 PM ---Have an definite inkling that those are buckets of amide

--- End quote ---

I was about to post the same thing!  Totally agree. 

How does that big reactor in the back work?  Like, can you reflux in that and it just handles the pressure build up or is it just a monster vessel that has heating and stirring...  Curious how condensation would work or if it's not for that and simply for stirring huge amounts at a specfic temperature..?

thewire:
He must have developed an "ultra safe" method. In such a large scale any of our mentioned routes are extremly dangerous.
Working with hydroxylamine in kg quantities, well....... :-\
Maybe your are right guys.

Reading his papers, I am sure he had managed to develop  ( or find an existing one)  catalyst to make the reaction (if that is amide) safer.

Scarecrow:
Hmmm I dont think thats neccisarily true. The zinc oxide one pot could be done safely, im 99% sure that whatever method he is using is probably one that we have discussed, he probably just has the chemical engineering skills to upscale it safely.

Scarecrow:
Hell even my one pot amide seems to be able to be done at low temps. The lab doesnt look THAT well equipped, the reactor is nice though. Its my dream to one day have some secret lab which is just decked out as fuck, steel top benches, nitrogen and vacuum taps on the bench, heaps of cupboards, rotary evaporators <3 <3

thewire:
The gray box (on top of that is a tray) is a heat exchanger.
https://uk.linkedin.com/company/sterling-thermal-techhnology-ltd
http://www.sterlingtt.com/

I don't see the condenser unit but it must be somewhere there.  I don't see a vacuum pump either. 
This sutup can be used for refluxing, cooling,  distilling (at normal pressure if he didn't have vacuum pump).
If I am not wrong.     

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version