Author Topic: Sodium Hydroxide mixin it up  (Read 1434 times)

jjscooti

Sodium Hydroxide mixin it up
« on: March 19, 2003, 04:25:00 AM »
Just a few Questions and comments about this essential processing chemical.

When I first started shopping for this stuff I noticed most of the brands of lye in  Canada also contained sodiun metasillicate Did'nt sound like somthing I would want in my freebase. matasillicate is an addative to alot fo detergent products Is it Harmful to the freebase.

I was mixing up a sodium hydroxide solution using the Drano crystals and I noticed after it has cooled off there is this black shit floating around im the solution I always filter this befor using it is this nesessery?

One time while adding this solution to the acid/water/dope mixture this wite shit started to appear than I coulden't extract the freebase with toulene. Whats going on here?

carboxyl

You added Draino solution to honey?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2003, 08:21:00 AM »
You added Draino solution to honey?!?!? Shame, Shame, SHAME!! High purity NaOH is easily obtainable, please don't ever do anything like that again!

raybeez

Sodium Hydroxide mixin it up
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 07:00:00 PM »
noticed most of the brands of lye in  Canada also contained sodiun metasillicate

Hmm.. I know the topic of impurities in lye has been discussed here before, but this is the first time I have heard of this impurity.

SWIM has obtained cheap lye ("Technical Grade Sodium Hydroxide") in Canada from a warehouse that sells products to soap manufacturers. SWIM has never been able to get ahold of an MSDS for the product from the warehouse, and is curious if this impurity would be found in this type of lye. Swim can get 20kg of tech grade for the price of 2kg of ACS, but will go with the ACS if there is potentially some kind of nasty impurity.

calcium

Drano?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 09:59:00 PM »
I think they put bits of aluminum in Drano to make it more reactive. Never use anything that has a second ingredient, just lye/sodium hydroxide.

rudebwoy

jj
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2003, 01:25:00 AM »
Get Gillette's lye  the big disgusting green colored store that used to be red.

says 99% lye.

TURNTABLIST

I heard..
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2003, 09:41:00 AM »
I heard that if you walk into a chem supply and ask for a bag of caustic soda(50lbs) they will put it in your truck and supply you with a MSDS all for about 45 bucks(USD).

Neptuniuma

i buy my NaOH at Lobster Depot , 454g format...
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2003, 04:01:00 PM »
i buy my NaOH at Lobster Depot , 454g format without other shit  6,99CAN$. (canada,kebek)

VinnyC

What is it about the phrase "no ...
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2003, 11:31:00 PM »
What is it about the phrase "no sources" that is confusing to newbees?

*oww my ovaries*

Neptuniuma

NaOH it's available anywhere 100% legal..
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 05:06:00 AM »
NaOH it's available anywhere 100% legal.. we are not talking about RP , dichromate or anything watched ..
it's lye !!
ans Lobster Depot it's not a source.

VinnyC

I know what NaOH is, and it is irrelevant if a
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 06:03:00 AM »
I know what NaOH is, and it is irrelevant if a chemical is legal, watched, or controlled... if you care about the preservation of this site, you don't even go down that avenue...

This was not a shot at you, just an overall commentary...

Relax!