Author Topic: About Nickel Chloride  (Read 1451 times)

ate_up_farmboy

About Nickel Chloride
« on: June 14, 2003, 06:31:00 AM »
SWIM was playing around with a salt water electrolysis of nothing(really, it was just salt water) and using different cathode metals.

He used a bass guitar string section made into a spiral as the cathode, and noticed some bluish green to bright green crystalline matter coming off the string.

Then, He realized that the string was nickel plated steel.

DID Swim make NiCl2? 
He is gonna go take a look at these xstals and maybe do a Urishubra(spelling?) on some PN2P to get some amph, if they are the right ones.

Did a TFSE search and no results about electrolytical production of NiCl2, but he did use chlorinated water and lots of salt in the brine.

SO, are these xstals indeed NiCl2? 

I will check back in the morning for answers, possibly have more info of my own.

Thanks in advance,

AUF

calcium

try a nickel...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2003, 09:52:00 AM »
An American five cent coin is made of mostly nickel. I'm pretty sure it's a cupro-nickel alloy, rather than pure but far more available nickel than your guitar string plating.

A blue green deposit could be nickel salts mixed with copper salts... or something, it's getting late.
     Anyway, there must be a better way to get your desired salt than electrolysis of guitar strings in salt water if you plan to commit precursors to the project.

I'd at least try a nickel.

ate_up_farmboy

OK, I dont think it was what I thought it was,
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2003, 07:29:00 PM »
OK, I dont think it was what I thought it was, as is every fucking thing I get from electro.

I filtered out the green stuff, and as long as it was wet and away from air, it stayed a dark, mossy green.

It dries out, and turns a nasty rust red.

I give up.

Off to buy a troy ounce of Palladium and a couple grams of platinum, so it cant fuck up again.

Polverone

American nickels aren't nickel
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2003, 07:28:00 PM »
At least not for the most part. 25% Ni, 75% Cu. If you want to make nickel salts, visit your local friendly pottery/ceramics supplier and pick up some nickel carbonate.

MegaPyro6

Iron (II) Chloride
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 12:51:00 AM »
I think that Iron (II) Chloride was probably created.  Perhaps with a small amount of Nickel Chloride produced as well.  Iron (II) Chloride has the blue-green color made.  Ni salt probably accounting for the bright green.  In a water solution Iron (II) Chloride absorbs water and forms iron oxides.  I believe the Ni does the same, thing only forming Ni oxides.