Author Topic: (Per)chlorate as an alternative oxidizing agent?  (Read 2740 times)

wolff_kishner

(Per)chlorate as an alternative oxidizing agent?
« on: July 29, 2004, 06:48:00 AM »
Is there any organic oxidation reaction in which chlorate and/or perchlorate ion could be used in place of permanganate ion, dichromate ion, H2O2, etc.? I know that chlorates and perchlorates are strong oxidizing agents, but I have searched at length on the web and found no organic reactions that utilize them.

java

Oxidation with hypochlorate.....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 01:33:00 AM »
First a bit about ......

Oxides and Oxoacids

There are no fluorine oxides as F is more electronegative than O.  Chlorine, bromine and iodine each form several oxides which are thermally  unstable, such as chlorine dioxide ClO2. The  only fluorine oxoacid, HOF, is unstable at room temperature, but there are many  oxoacids of the other halogens. The best known salts of these are;  hypochlorite, chlorate(I) CIO-, chlorite, chlorate(III) ClO2-, hypochlorate, chlorate(V) CIO3-, perchlorate, chlorate(VII) ClO4- . These are all powerful oxidising  agents.

Your basic search found this,

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/ptc.naocl.oxidation.html

this example found using goggle,

Example of Oxidation of Alcohols: Preparation of Cyclohexanone using hypochlorate...

I hope this helps you on your search........java

wolff_kishner

Thanks, but...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 04:12:00 AM »
I know that there are many applications for hypochlorite, but I was asking specifically about chlorates and perchlorates. I find it strange that there are no applications for them, even though there are strong oxidizers.

gsus

no applications?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »

Post 363228

(Rhodium: "Free Online Chemistry & Medicinal Journals", Novel Discourse)

orgsyn and thieme are in my bookmarks, so i took a peek to see what was there. there are applications, you just haven't utilized what is available.

just for fun, i searched the organic database of

ChemWeb

(http://www.chemweb.com)
642 hits for chlorate and perchlorate.