Author Topic: Ammonium acetate alternatives?  (Read 3071 times)

guyincognito

Ammonium acetate alternatives?
« on: May 09, 2002, 09:50:00 PM »
Cans swim use something to replace ammonium acetate in the cyanoborohydride method?

Just looking for alternatives

Is there info anywhere about replacing various substances with alternative chems?
(like what solvents can replace each other etc)

Also what industry uses a lot of dcm (dichloromethane) cause its expensive and a pain in swims ass from big chem companies

thanks.

El_Zorro

it would have to be
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2002, 10:56:00 PM »
something with the ammonium ion in it, or you ight could use liquid NH3, but that would be a pain in the ass.

My guess would be that you could prolly use ammonium chloride, but you might want other's opinions on it.

But you could just get household ammonia solution, and household venegar, and mix together to ph 7, then boil to dryness, and scrape up the ammonium acetate.

Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, Rage, against the dying of the light.  --Dylan Thomas

Osmium

> Also what industry uses a lot of dcm ...
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2002, 12:06:00 AM »
> Also what industry uses a lot of dcm (dichloromethane)
> cause its expensive and a pain in swims ass from big chem
> companies

I hope you are recycling the DCM, and don't pour it down the drain!

> s there info anywhere about replacing various substances
> with alternative chems? (like what solvents can replace
> each other etc)

Yes that info exists. It's called UTFSE!
It doesn't really matter what NP solvent you use, most will work.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

guyincognito

Has anyone out there replaced ammonium acetate ...
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2002, 10:19:00 PM »
Has anyone out there replaced ammonium acetate with ammonium chloride - or would anyone know if it would or wouldn't work?

guyincognito

swim recycles as much as possible, but still ...
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2002, 10:21:00 PM »
swim recycles as much as possible, but still curious as to what industry uses a lot of dcm?

Osmium

> still curious as to what industry uses a lot ...
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2002, 10:57:00 PM »
> still curious as to what industry uses a lot of dcm

I guess nobody uses it anymore, or at least everybody tries to substitute it with something else. The wastewater regulations are simply too strict. If a business is caught repeatedly with a few ppm too much of halogenated solvents in the wastewater they can close down their plant.

I'm not fat just horizontally disproportionate.

guyincognito

Does anyone know if ammonium chloride will ...
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2002, 10:31:00 PM »
Does anyone know if ammonium chloride will replace ammonium acetate or not?

As well what would one be buying a cylinder of ammonia gas for? (leagally)

thanks.

Rhodium

ammonium acetate and ammonia
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2002, 10:49:00 PM »
Ammonium chloride is not reccommended in the cyanoborohydride reductive amination, as the chloride anion won't buffer the reaction like the acetate anion will, and thus it will be harder to maintain the proper pH in the reaction. It is very easy to make your own ammonium acetate, just mix household ammonia with acetic acid, and evaporate the resulting solution (not over 100°C, or acetamide may form).

Legal uses for anhydrous ammonia include refrigeration systems and agricultural uses, but you will probably not be able to buy it for either purpose if you are not certified. More info about this can be found in the aquisition and stimulant forums.