Author Topic: 2 Question's regarding A/Bing and titration.  (Read 1982 times)

spectralshift

2 Question's regarding A/Bing and titration.
« on: December 20, 2003, 05:36:00 PM »
1. Is there anything inherently wrong with using an alcohol as an acidifying medium instead of water?

2. Do chemist's have standard method of basification sans H2O, like they do with gassing for acidification?

Thankyou.

Bandil

1. Is there anything inherently wrong with...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2003, 05:45:00 PM »
1. Is there anything inherently wrong with using an alcohol as an acidifying medium instead of water?

I'm not sure what your goal is here. Is it to perform an acid / base extraction of some compound or to crash the salt of of an alcoholic solution? If you choose to acidifiy in an alcoholic medium there is quite a chance that your product will precipitate out of the solution (ala gassing). But if you want to extract it somehow afterwards a short alkyl-chained alcohol will make it very hard to extract with water as it is miscible.

2. Do chemist's have standard method of basification sans H2O, like they do with gassing for acidification?

Not that i'm aware of. Don't know how soluble the alkali hydroxides are in ethers, alcohols etc but you might be able to do it that way. What is the purpose of doing this without water anyway?

Try clarifying your questions a little and I will attempt to give a more elaborate "guide"  :)

Regards
Bandil

spectralshift

best of luck working out what im on about!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2003, 12:24:00 PM »
Okie dokez. The goal is to isolate phosphorous acid (H3PO3), after titrating a 400g/l* aq. Solution of potassium phosphites.

The end products formed in the aqueous solution after addition of Hcl will simply bee Kcl, Hcl, and most importantly H3PO3, the desired end product..
Rcently it has been learned that one method to lose much of the Kcl is to extract H3PO3 from the solution using excess Hcl. Hence, leaving the Kcl precipitation behind since it is practically insoluble in concentrated Hcl...
Alcohol I figure would just enhance this effect, that's all. (because kcl isn't very soluble in OH at all either. But HsPO3 is soluble in both OH and h2o)
Separation of the end product and water and alcohol is no problem, as it will just bee evapped after leaving behind the Kcl precipitation.  8)
What do you think Bandil the bandicoot?  Charge forward with it boldly on horseback, or, fuggit and wallow away in the castle?

Don't worry about the second question, you gave me enough information, and it would take a lot of really boring background information. Ill have to hack it, should bee A-OK.  ;)