Author Topic: 5-MeO-DPT  (Read 3430 times)

Zen

5-MeO-DPT
« on: March 10, 2002, 11:41:00 PM »
Its weird how it seems like Shulgin gave up on the DPT derivatives so quickly. His research showed it to be active orally in >100mg range. He vaguely documented 4-HO-DPT and reported only one test at 20mg level to be a possible threshold dose. 5-MeO derivatives show an increased potency (up to x10) that is attributed to the substance more effectively crossing the blood brain barrier. Shulgin seemed to have a field day making 5-MeO analogues of everything except DPT.

I always get the feeling somebody is hiding something, if you know what I mean. *Wink wink, nudge nudge*

Upon further investigation we can find Shulgins research regarding 5-MeO-DPT hidden at the bottom of the 5-MeO-DET section. The method discussed (aswell as the DPT synth) seem reminiscent of the diisopropylation of DiPT and 5-MeO-DiPT, except he's using IPA instead of the dreaded Sulfolane making this a rather straightforward procedure.

Shulgin goes on to say, "TLC analysis at this time showed the presence of both the mono- and the dialkylamines, but there was no indication of the presence of unreacted 5-methoxytryptamine or of the quaternary salt." He then proceeds to perform lengthy extractions to isolate 5-MeO-DPT. I believe the extraction procedure can be simplified, furthermore the precursors are relatively easy to acquire or produce. Here's what I'm thinking on a nanoscale:

2.8 mL diisopropylethylamine and 1.5 mL propyl iodide are taken up in a warm solution of 900 mg 5-methoxytryptamine in 10 mL IPA, and the mixture was heated on the steam bath for 5 h. Solvent is distilled and residue is diluted with 25 mL H2O. 2.5 mL 5% aqueous NaOH is added to produce a cloudy suspension that is extracted with 30 mL hexane. Colorless oil is recovered via distillation of solvent. 490 mg freebase is dissolved in 3 mL IPA and neutralized with 0.5 mL HCl. Crystallization is instigated with Et2O. Product is removed by filtration. Crystals washed with 4:1 IPA / Et2O mixture. Product is air dried to yield 540 mg 5-methoxy-N,N-dipropyltryptamine hydrochloride.

-Zen

Rhodium

Re: 5-MeO-DPT
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2002, 12:42:00 AM »
Tryptamine psychedelics was one of the last areas Shulgin did any research in before he was raided by the DEA. The reason the tryptamines isn't that well-explored may simply be that he was interrupted in his work before he even had made all of the obvious active analogs. For example, there is VERY little variation on the 5-substituent theme - no longer alkoxy chains, no alkyl chains and no halogens. There is a whole lot of work he has left us to explore...

Lilienthal

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2002, 07:45:00 AM »
I heard that 5-nonyloxy-DMT is a 2 days lasting sleeping pill... Possibly a 5-HT2 antagonist.

Antoncho

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2002, 08:48:00 AM »
.... melatoninergic-style, gentle sleep-aid pill?
.... or neuroleptic knock-out kind?

interesting!

Antoncho

Lilienthal

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2002, 04:19:00 PM »
Neither placebo-like nor neuroleptic. Just making you sleepy.