Author Topic: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison  (Read 47829 times)

Offline RhinoJackson

• Subordinate Wasp
On July 24, 2020, a Memorandum and Order was filed in the United States District Court of Kansas, in the case of United States of American [sic] vs. William Leonard Pickard. This Memorandum and Order states that Pickard’s motion for compassionate release is granted.

hxxps://www.psymposia.com/magazine/william-leonard-pickard-lsd/

Offline spice

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • Investigate it
Re: LSD Chemist William Leonard Pickard to be Released From Prison
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 12:39:40 PM »
Well that's good.
Real bees just hear the buzzing and it doesn´t ever stop. Ever.

Offline carl

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • circular pastry filled with hazelnut crime
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 12:52:56 PM »
Yeah its good for him.

But somehow I am repelled by this guy, mostly because of the strange people he surrounded himself with, and then he wrote that weird esoteric book too?
I would suggest that you guys share information like it was the last day on Earth.  This information slowdown is all because of all that dumb unwillingness to share.  That is where the DEA is winning.  There goal is you not talking to each other.  Let the information flow.  I  promise we will always be 2 steps ahead of DEA chemists if we just keep sharing information

Offline spice

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • Investigate it
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 01:04:31 PM »
Oh no doubt about that, I was just speaking in general.

I will say from experience here in the states, that it is exceptionally hard in the drug trade to surround yourself with quality people. In 25 years of activity, I never met any.

In my 25 years of activity, I have actually never met any people that were worth keeping in contact with. The very best people that I ever found myself around, were the people that I was around before I got involved in chemistry. They are all dead, gone moved away, or otherwise no longer around. I've got to say, they have entirely killed the scene down here, and what is left is despicable.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:06:17 PM by spice »

Offline chemsail

• Pupae
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 01:29:44 PM »
Imagine the stories that guy could tell...

Offline partycat

• Larvae
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 02:05:32 AM »
Is his book worth reading?  or is it just new age mysticism? 

Offline hamsterbob

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 04:51:03 AM »
Yeah its good for him.

But somehow I am repelled by this guy, mostly because of the strange people he surrounded himself with, and then he wrote that weird esoteric book too?

Wonder if Ed Peden will give him back his silo..

Offline foroz

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 11:22:27 AM »
Yeah its good for him.

ye ive been listening to it on archive.org

you got that one down for sure carl weird and very esoteric.

I find it amazing that the man who made the most ego destroying compound on the planet could write a book that makes out
that he has some kind of special power or connection.

truly egotistical.

and how is it one of the six chemists spills 10,000 hits on himself in a solvent that is meant to accelerate uptake through the skin and then
tells everyone that he was sober through it.

haven't finished listening to it but I don't need any more airy fairy shit in my head its wacked out enough.
bullshit if you ask me.

way to much god this jesus that too.

seriously though why can't some one go black with this shit and do a satanic cult that eats peoples souls while every one is tripping.

kind of like indiana jones and the temple of doom style.

everyone is just not that creative with there peace and mung beans shit.

read one trippers book and you have read them all (with exception of the one that counts my love child)

I guess thats what comes from sticking fluorescent paint in your head
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:31:39 AM by foroz »

Offline spice

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • Investigate it
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 12:10:46 PM »
"Seriously though why can't some one go black with this shit and do a satanic cult that eats peoples souls while every one is tripping"

This is what they said Charles Manson did.

Offline foroz

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2020, 01:13:00 PM »
and they still worship him and always will hehe

Offline TangerineDream

• Welfare Trash
  • Dominant Wasp
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 01:39:03 PM »
I thought he was given something like 2 life sentences? I know I've been assuming that to be the case for SOME LSD chemist for a while now.
It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

Offline spice

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • Investigate it
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 02:44:42 PM »
He was granted compassionate release

Offline FOXO3expression+

• Larvae
  • https://youtu.be/Iz508AYnCew
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 03:54:54 PM »
I'm really glad to hear this. In regards to partycat's question though, I think The Rose of Paracelsus is a pretty bad book, very baroque and filled with meaningless allusions, or I guess allusions that amount to meaning, "look I'm actually an intellectual", along with very wordy descriptions of highs as "vast and uncommunicable"  ::)
The overall message of the book seems to be that the production of LSD is a mystical process that only a select few enlightened individuals are allowed (by metaphysical forces) to engage in. I think he wrote it more for the DEA's sake than my own. I found it pretty uninspiring, at least.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:50:17 PM by FOXO3expression+ »

Offline carl

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 04:04:52 PM »
The only good, yet somewhat esoteric, book about psychedelic experiences is, in my opinion, psychedelic shamanism by Jim DeKorne.
I would suggest that you guys share information like it was the last day on Earth.  This information slowdown is all because of all that dumb unwillingness to share.  That is where the DEA is winning.  There goal is you not talking to each other.  Let the information flow.  I  promise we will always be 2 steps ahead of DEA chemists if we just keep sharing information

Offline loft

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 10:20:08 AM »
and how is it one of the six chemists spills 10,000 hits on himself in a solvent that is meant to accelerate uptake through the skin and then

I have talked to a serious chemist who legally produces psychoactive lysergamides. He also spilled final products, including LSD, on his skin and had felt no effects from that. He seriously doubted that Hofmanns first contact resulted from a spilling accident.
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison." - Paracelsus

Offline foroz

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 10:43:45 AM »
ye thats what I thought to but they state a solvent that would increase uptake through skin.

but that must be the answer.

Offline blade_runner

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 11:48:47 AM »
ye thats what I thought to but they state a solvent that would increase uptake through skin.

but that must be the answer.

DMSO. But the story is probably an urban legend.

Offline foroz

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 03:30:25 PM »
again what do they want with DMSO with an acid synth ?

it does sound like an urban legend.

Offline xdragon

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 05:10:40 PM »
hxxps://www.erowid.org/general/conferences/conference_mindstates4_nichols.shtml

From David Nichols:
Another fact: I've made LSD in my lab on many occasions for research purposes, possibly in not so meticulous a manner as Albert Hofmann. Nothing ever happened. I had several graduate students who made LSD as an intermediate for projects. No accidental ingestion of LSD ever occurred. A technician in my lab makes it routinely because we use it as a drug to train our rats. He's learned by experience that he never gets high, nothing ever happens. And yesterday I was talking to Nick Sand, and Nick said, "I made a solution of LSD in DMSO…" -- DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) is a chemical that greatly enhances absorption of other chemicals through the skin -- he says, "…I painted it on my skin. Nothing happened." A concentrated solution and nothing happened! How did this very meticulous Swiss chemist get the LSD into his body? I don't know.

I myself do not really care whether this is true or not, but I give it some credibility. Maybe 60 %. I wouldn't want to try regardless. Interestingly enough, I heard about a DiPT synthesis in DMSO where the person did experience effects. So if anyone is working with tryptamines, be careful - likewise probably for some potent phenethylamines.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 05:12:57 PM by xdragon »
"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."

Offline carl

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 05:19:52 PM »
I believe that accident was never an accident.
He only claimed it to be afterwards.
But how would he have known? He certainly didn't tasted any of the other analogues from that series.

Offline foroz

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 05:37:52 PM »
I see the beginnings of another esoteric book there carl

Offline xdragon

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 09:24:33 PM »
I believe that accident was never an accident.
He only claimed it to be afterwards.

I don't know how high the odds are, but this is currently my belief as well. Still, the how and why would still remain unknown. The why could be to have a valid excuse for a human bioassay. At the expense of his portray as a very meticulous chemist. Though even the bests do mistakes from time to time.
But how could Albert Hofmann have known? Per chance? Intuition? The universe twisting its paths? Hopefully rather not the later, I couldn't cope with such nonsense :P Too late to ask him, maybe some of his close friends know.
"I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death."

Offline FOXO3expression+

• Larvae
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 12:01:08 AM »
I think it's possible that Hoffman could have ingested no amount of LSD at all. I've read multiple accounts of people who describe the final steps of LSD synthesis/preparation as causing an "accidental ingestion", presumably through inhalation or skin contact with airborne particles. Shulgin had the same experience the first time he synthesized Aleph. But what if it's actually something stranger than sloppy lab safety procedures?
I like that book that Carl recommended a lot, and in the Altered States chapter Mr. DeKorne talks about the silver cross and the tibetan cup, and how, "It is possible for inanimate physical objects to possess an energy akin to consciousness, or which can at least be perceived and manipulated by consciousness". Crystalline LSD, I would consider a physical object of some spiritual potency. What if you can catch a contact high right off the soul(s) that float around the crystal?

Also: wonder how Clyde Apperson is doing? He was due to be out in 2030 anyways, and I think Pickard was the one with the rap sheet?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:04:23 AM by FOXO3expression+ »

Offline partycat

• Larvae
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 04:16:05 AM »
I was hoping it had real life stories of him actually making lsd. 

On the Hoffman spilling on himself.  I watched a documantary where they interviewed David Nicohls and he talks about how Hoffman was prone to religious expeirences.  Also talks about how he doesnt believe in that being an accident.  Think was called Sunshine makers? 

Offline loft

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 09:07:03 PM »
I was hoping it had real life stories of him actually making lsd. 

On the Hoffman spilling on himself.  I watched a documantary where they interviewed David Nicohls and he talks about how Hoffman was prone to religious expeirences.  Also talks about how he doesnt believe in that being an accident.  Think was called Sunshine makers?

I loved that documentary!
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison." - Paracelsus

Offline carl

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 09:32:03 PM »
"It is possible for inanimate physical objects to possess an energy akin to consciousness, or which can at least be perceived and manipulated by consciousness". Crystalline LSD, I would consider a physical object of some spiritual potency. What if you can catch a contact high right off the soul(s) that float around the crystal?
Thats what I was thinking too!
Must be something supernatural(according to our understanding of nature for now) then!  ;D

Offline TangerineDream

• Welfare Trash
  • Dominant Wasp
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 10:00:20 PM »
A little off-topic but not completely:

I have to admit, I used to get very strange effects when nearing the end of, and harvesting, cubensis grows.

I would just chalk it up to absorption through hands, then started wearing gloves. Same thing.
Started thinking it was because the high concentrations of CO2 were messing with me, but even in a large room with plenty of circulation, same effects.

It would feel very much like I was coming up on psilocybin, but still different in a way. Several occurences that would lead me to believe something or someone was trying to catch my attention; lots of things seeming connected, noticing patterns in things (not visually, but I can't remember the term used).

Strangest of all is that these effects persisted long past the last dose, like years after my last dose; and always when around the living fruitbodies.

Offline carl

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 10:27:49 PM »
I used to get very strange effects when nearing the end of, and harvesting, cubensis grows.
You're not the only one, brother :)
I know this phenomenon, but strangely, also from picking SKKK's as they are called here in the wild, Psilocybe semilanceata(SpitzKegeliger KahlKopf), one of the most potent and most abundant wild growing psilocybine mushrooms here in europe :)
Apparently they are very closely related to P. mexicana, except that they don't form truffles and aren't as easily cultivated.
But yeah, I know this feeling very well.
And I love it :)
Say "thank you" the next time whenever you feel it :)

Have you read DeKornes book? Please take a looks at it and don't try to be biased.
I read that at first and was still in my late teens.
I thought it to be very esoteric and didn't took it too serious... but whenever I re-read it, it become more solid in its meaning.
Now I value this book as a very serious guide :)

In my opinion, there is a real and serious connection, and this is a real important one.
A. Hofmann surely felt something like this in my opinion too, and this is why we can thank him for the discovery of LSD :)

Offline FOXO3expression+

• Larvae
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2020, 06:46:56 PM »
The first times I can remember feeling really high without having taken any drugs actually happened while I was reading books a bit like DeKorne's- for me it was Dale Pendell's "Pharmako/Poeia" trilogy, and John C Lilly's autobiography "The Scientist".

Offline NeonCortex

• Subordinate Wasp
    • Sci-Hub
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2020, 03:34:03 AM »
I also am very skeptical to the idea that Hofmann accidentally absorbed LSD through his skin. However, it seems to me that chemistry laboratories were quite different back in the early 40's. It might be an erronous notion of mine, but weren't labs a lot more open back then? Apparatus standing on desks openly with few laminar flow hoods? If you think of today's labs where pretty much everything is carried out in a flow hood and safety is a general priority, you still need to tell staff and students to not drink coffe/tea or consume anything in the lab, and they still do it. I don't know what Hofmann's lab looked like back then, but is it a far fetched idea that the risk of accidentally dosing yourself was a bit higher back then? I can imagine a milligram or two ending up on a hand and then entering the body through your coffee mug, scratching your moustasche or similar.
Scientific articles accessible to everyone - as they should be!
sci-hub.st

Offline Swoner

• Pupae
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2020, 06:23:41 AM »
It also could’ve been because of mouth pipetting
Yes I’m paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?

Offline loft

• Founding Wasp
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2020, 09:47:29 AM »
Looks fairly open to me  :D

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:49:18 AM by loft »

Offline vanillaice

• Larvae
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2020, 11:34:46 AM »
From dosing tabs with crystal it is very easy for a little draft to pick a piece of xtal up and land on you doesn't take much to trip to be honest and like you're guys are saying I don't think lab safety was even existent back then :,) especially him with no gloves no masks or anything I remember some xtal landing on me with some would say interesting results nothing like the bear 2000ug experience but enough to be more careful the next time

Offline callejularbo

• Pupae
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2020, 01:24:18 PM »
I also doubt it was an accident.
Was it not known that ergot fungi was psychoactive at this time?
Albert was chemically modifying ergotamine so he had good reason to assume that some of the compounds he made could very well be psychoactive.

My theory is that the tasted them one by one just like shulgin, and got lucky with LSD. The claim it was an accidental exposure was probably an excuse to avoid being deemed unprofessional by his peers.

Offline redred

• Larvae
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2020, 09:52:13 PM »
Pickard is a black hole.

Offline carl

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2020, 10:09:20 PM »
Pickard is a black hole.

My impression as well.
Looked like a fed honeypot from the start, if I would've been there I could tell immediately.

Offline Lipbalm

• Donated!
  • Founding Wasp
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2020, 10:42:34 PM »
From dosing tabs with crystal it is very easy for a little draft to pick a piece of xtal up and land on you doesn't take much to trip to be honest

Dr Nichols graduate students have said they have dipped their entire hands in LSD with no affects. The reports of dermal permeability seem to be all over the place. Maybe it is the difference between base and salt? I dunno, but I hear everyone in the drug community speak with the assumption, along with reports, that LSD is absorbed through skin and then I read LSD researchers and manufacturers say it isn't. My gut is they are both telling the truth somehow.
Any book you want for free:
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/

Any research paper you want for free:
sci-hub.cc

Offline hamsterbob

• Subordinate Wasp
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2020, 04:24:54 AM »
I saw a report one of a dude spill 6000 trips of liquid on his hand no effects an the other of this dumb dude chasing his mate around his house with flakes on his finger after a spillage an he didnt get high.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 04:27:00 AM by hamsterbob »

Offline Jughasvili

• Larvae
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2021, 01:17:33 PM »
Just read up on Pickard and also Nicholas Sands, and was struck by their totally different punishments for essentially the same crime. Pickard gets a double life sentence (out in 20 yrs but only bc of the pandemic) for LSD manufacturing, while Sands gets 14 yrs and is out in 3! And it was his third or fourth time getting caught and had fled on bail to another country! Anyone have ideas why Sands got such a comparative slap on the wrist?

Offline jacolives

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2021, 01:33:35 PM »
Take this for a grain of salt, but in EVERY OTHER case that I have been around regarding the federal court system the ONLY WAY you can even be ELIGIBLE for a downward departure from the sentencing guidelines is through telling on other people.  Fleeing from US courts doesn’t really have any bearing on the case you are fleeing from though in some circumstances it could be a new charge.  This is all in reference to the FEDERAL court system.  If he was prosecutes by the state it would depend entirely on that states laws.  California for example does have parole, early release programs etc.  A look at his one time partner Tim Scully could be informative.  He was apparently resentenced and then released.  This can happen for snitches, or it could happen due to changes in sentencing guidelines being retroactively applied after the person in question takes the feds to court.

I don’t know their individual cases, didn’t know them or personally, and really that whole west coast crowd is far from my circle so I couldn’t speculate beyond any of that.  But of the dozens of people I’ve known personally that got indicted, the ones that got downward departures ALL told.  The rest did 85% of their time inside, then were released to a federal halfway house for 6 months then put on federal parole/probation.
quisieron enterrarnos, sin saber que eramos semilla

Offline spice

• Global Moderator
  • Founding Wasp
  • Investigate it
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2021, 01:56:52 PM »
What he said^

One quick addendum, I believe that many of these guys are turned for life when it happens. It's not just a to get out of jail almost free card. When the feds turn these big fish, that's a wrap, they are property.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:04:38 PM by spice »

Offline jacolives

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2021, 02:48:19 PM »
This is built into the way they are sentenced!!  For example, one can go to the joint, proffer some information, get resentenced then they find out some of the information given was false and get resentenced again ALL ON THE SAME CASE.

People get let out early all the time just on their word they will do something or could possibly give information on something else.  One guy I know got let out to set people up he didn’t even know, based on information he got from another inmate even.

Offline solipsist1212

• Larvae
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2021, 08:13:58 PM »
Just read up on Pickard and also Nicholas Sands, and was struck by their totally different punishments for essentially the same crime. Pickard gets a double life sentence (out in 20 yrs but only bc of the pandemic) for LSD manufacturing, while Sands gets 14 yrs and is out in 3! And it was his third or fourth time getting caught and had fled on bail to another country! Anyone have ideas why Sands got such a comparative slap on the wrist?

Because Canada. Nicholas Sands was arrested in British Columbia where sentences are more lenient. Pickard was arrested in the US (Kansas) which is comparatively a lot harsher

Offline jacolives

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2021, 09:43:28 PM »
Was he not extradited to the United States ??

Offline thewire

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2021, 11:40:59 AM »
Was he not extradited to the United States ??

He was.
Code: [Select]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nicholas-sand-outlaw-lsd-producer-fled-to-british-columbia/article35081834/
In 1996, police raided Mr. Sand's lab in Port Coquitlam, B.C., which was producing LSD and other drugs. He was arrested and extradited to the United States.

Mr. Sand was imprisoned for three years and sentenced to a halfway house for four more. Returning home unapologetic, he told National Geographic in 2009 that he'd produced an estimated 140 million hits of LSD in his lifetime. It was a claim no one disputed.

Offline Beep

• Larvae
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2021, 11:55:19 AM »
Yeah its good for him.

ye ive been listening to it on archive.org

you got that one down for sure carl weird and very esoteric.

I find it amazing that the man who made the most ego destroying compound on the planet could write a book that makes out
that he has some kind of special power or connection.

truly egotistical.

haven't finished listening to it but I don't need any more airy fairy shit in my head its wacked out enough.
bullshit if you ask me.

way to much god this jesus that too.

seriously though why can't some one go black with this shit and do a satanic cult that eats peoples souls while every one is tripping.

kind of like indiana jones and the temple of doom style.

everyone is just not that creative with there peace and mung beans shit.

read one trippers book and you have read them all (with exception of the one that counts my love child)

I guess thats what comes from sticking fluorescent paint in your head

Mind telling me where one could listen to said material? I struggle read such mumbo jumbo so to speak, I'm sure I would get a kick out of listening to it.

Bye have a beautiful time o/

Offline TangerineDream

• Welfare Trash
  • Dominant Wasp
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2022, 08:56:14 PM »

the ONLY WAY you can even be ELIGIBLE for a downward departure from the sentencing guidelines is through telling on other people...
...This is all in reference to the FEDERAL court system.  If he was prosecutes by the state it would depend entirely on that states laws...

Older post, but wanted to chime in that from my somewhat limited experience, and 100% accuracy thus far (sans the sole occasion that internal bias of judges and perceived attack from all sides obfuscated the truth) with independent, mostly quid-pro-quo (though typically more quid than quo) private investigation into the questionably-innocent and those relevant individuals with suspicious deferments that this also applies at the state level for the small handful of territories that I've exercised this hobby in.

...downward departures..

Havent heard that one, but can't help but to associate it with one of the trustworthy signals of a person's suddenly being inflicted with flapjaw:
Any tense of the word "Defer" in the appropriate documents and context relevant to this topic is worthy of a raised eyebrow; though YMMV.

Also, forgive the compulsion to exercise the ol' creative-writing muscles, weird headspace today.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 08:59:09 PM by TangerineDream »

Offline jacolives

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2022, 09:36:24 PM »
The phrase “downward departure” is pulled from legal jargon, it is short for “downward departure from the sentencing guidelines”.  In the Feds (and in some states), sentences are determined by this grid called the sentencing guidelines.  The rows on the left show the charges, the columns on the right at the top show score/points/whatever.  0 points would be someone with no felonies in the last 10 - 15 years (depending on jurisdiction).  Each additional column is for 1, then 2, and so on.  Usually it maxes out at 6 - 8 (depending on jursisdiction).  The “presumptive sentence” is usually a range.  So let’s say for 0 points the presumptive sentence is 115 - 125 months - this slight difference is at discretion of the judge.  A downward departure from the sentencing guidelines gives the judge the POWER - which implies they don’t have the power to do this without said downward departure - to give a lesser sentence.

As I believe I previously stated, downward departures are granted only in specific situations as defined in the LEGISLATURE.  The ONLY ways provided for this in the legislature are called a 5K and Rule 35.

A 5K ‘letter’ is a motion the prosecution files BEFORE sentencing, that IF granted - gives the judge the POSSIBILITY of giving you a downward departure.  Note that the PROSECUTOR files this, not your DEFENSE attorney.  You get one of these by ‘cooperating’ with the prosecution - which translates to - gave information to other people related to the case.  This could be as simple as giving information about a co-defendant, or could even be about people not currently charged on the case. “I got the Ergotamine Tartrate from Joe in Sausalito.”

Rule 35, gives the judge the ability to RESENTENCE you if it is granted within a year of your sentencing.

A common way this plays out is like follows:
You get busted for something.  The prosecution says “I will file the 5K, if you debrief to these DEA agents.”  The agents basically say “tell us anything and everything you know and IF we can use it to bust someone, we will call you in to testify and you can get resentenced”.  So you spill the beans, while still in detention a year or two later the other guy gets busted - you testify on him and get your sentence reduced.”

A judge might give you a downward departure for the 5K information, and then later give you more for later testimony at a trial, or if the information busts someone else down the line.

These scenarios are VERY common.

There are some additional rules and policies that are pretty scary as well.  Guys are let out - and suddenly back in the mix making moves within days or weeks.  Why is this suspicious?  Because when you get out of the Feds your first stop is a Federal halfway house.  While there you are under the highest level of supervision the BOP has.  You have to be accountable to where you are at all times of the day, have a curfew, show proof you are out looking for a job, etc etc.

Something to keep in mind in the age of COVID - people are getting let out because of this.  When they get out they are on similar conditions but are at a residence.  They are on house arrest except for work, AA or NA meetings, maybe church once a week and a couple hours to shop once a week.  They are wearing an ankle bracelet even.  If you run into one of your buddies that has been locked up for 5 years, and he says “they let me out cause of COVID” and he’s telling you this someplace other than what I just listed - guess what, they let him out to set people up, or be a “pay to play” informant.