Author Topic: titanium as hydrogenation catalyst?  (Read 1428 times)

xxxxx

titanium as hydrogenation catalyst?
« on: May 13, 2004, 08:39:00 PM »
titanium is used to store hydrogen for various applications. the titanium is inside a canister and hydrogen is adsorbed into the titanium. then the temperature is raised to desorb the hydrogen. is the hydrogen in the titanium atomic hydrogen or molecular? if it is atomic then possibly titanium could be used as a hydrogenation catalyst. i tried looking for a reference regarding titanium as a hydrogenation catalyst and it´s activity (less than, equal to, greater than nickle, palladium) and found an extremly complicated phase diagram of the forms of the titanium/hydrogen "alloy" which i could not understand. does anyone have information regarding this matter?

Aurelius

References
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 12:46:00 AM »
When referring to an article, report, patent, etc. be sure to post a link to that document.  It would help greatly in answering your questions.

Synthesthesia

He is refering to an instrument (titanium...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 04:24:00 AM »
He is refering to an instrument  (titanium sublimation pumps, for UUHV, i think) he has seen somewhere. It is a good question, if you could secure one of these items for testing it sounds like it would yield ionic hydrogen during the releasing phase.

Barium

Well
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 12:03:00 PM »
Even if Ti forms a nice hydride there is still the issue wheather any interesting substrates can bind to the Ti surface too? Otherwise it is useless as a catalyst.