Author Topic: xylene mixtures  (Read 3084 times)

Agni

xylene mixtures
« on: June 02, 2004, 04:42:00 AM »
I recently found a gallon of xylene, ethyl benzene, and methyl isobutyl ketone. Xylene and ethyl benzene sound like they can be interchanged for pseudo extractions but i dont know about the mibk. Can i use this mixture in place of plain xylene for extracting pseudo? im most likly going to be using the straight to e method. thanks for your help!

ApprenticeCook

what are the relative % of each?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 05:09:00 AM »
what are the relative % of each?

if you find that the xylene content is low and it would be more usefull to just go and buy xylene, its commonly availible in hardware stores.

you could frac still the xylene out but once again it depends on the % content of each component in the mix.

Agni

where does it say %?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 02:42:00 AM »
I used the fucking search engine but i didnt find anything. I dont see anywhere were it states the preceent of xylene in the mix, is there a way to find it out the precent of the xylene with another number??? I wish i could find xylene around here, but everything is mixed; cleaners of all types and solvents. thanks for your help

ning

think about this
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 04:35:00 AM »
I think one may reasonably expect that ketone to behave like acetone or methyl ethyl ketone. The mixture probably won't be nonpolar enough to extract well. Just my thought.

former_chemist

MIBK not very polar
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 12:59:00 PM »
MIBK is not very polar.  It is only mildly soluble in water.  However this can be used to separate it from xylene/ethyl benzene if the percentage is low enough. It is soluble about 1.9g/100g in water.  MIBK has a good probability of interferring with a pseudo extraction, but you never can tell it might be the miracle solvent for some formulation.

foxy2

That would bee a good mixture for pill washing
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 06:06:00 PM »
That would bee a good mixture for pill washing as (pseudo)ephedrine is not soluable in any of the solvents.  Unlike pure xylene this mixture should bee dried because MIBK has the capability to hold some water.

Most xylene has around 15% ethylbenzene in it anyways, its a natural byproduct of industrial xylene production.

Agni

ill give it a try
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 06:17:00 AM »

ApprenticeCook

well swims come from augusto fontini of the...
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 02:17:00 PM »

calcium

'I know i should start a new thread for this...'
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 05:38:00 PM »
'I know i should start a new thread for this but...'

Then why didn't you? The rules about posting are amazingly simple.

Buying cold pills, and extracting them with some crap you found in the hardware store are topics for the stimulants forum.

Simple, yes?

Agni

my apologies
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 06:50:00 AM »
sorry about the off topic question. as far as on topic, the mixture works wonderfuly as a non polar solvent! thanks everyone! :)