Author Topic: Properties of some epoxides  (Read 23434 times)

sunlight

Re: DC Results
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2001, 07:53:00 AM »
The bactericide uv lamp has the same size of the others for detecting faked money, so it was armed in the same lamp, and plates are examined like money. Good invention of my friend.

Osmium

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2001, 08:20:00 AM »
Can you find out what wavelenght that UV lamp produces?

sunlight

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2001, 11:41:00 AM »
I didn't remember it but my friend has told me it is 254 nanometres, and acording to him is the exact wave length for this TLC. Plates are Merck silica gel 60 F 254 (yes, 254, the wave length). The disco and money uv light is around 350, and we compared both in a TLC and the money one showed no more than normal light. The invention is that is armed in the money detect apparatus, very nice.

Osmium

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2001, 01:59:00 PM »
Aldrich sells spare UV lamps/tubes at obscene prices. They are available in 4, 6 and 8W (with a lenght of 20.3/26/51.6cm resp) and short and long wavelenght (254 and 365nm). The short wavelenght usually costs twice as much as the long wavelenght.

Where else might one get the short wavelenght spares?

terbium

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2001, 02:23:00 PM »
Short wave cost more because it requires a quartz bulb whereas longwave can use glass.

Sources in the US:

http://www.scientificsonline.com/

Search for "uv lamp"

http://www.scientificsonline.com/Products/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=1853

And then, the motherload though they may no longer sell retail:

http://www.uvp.com/index.html

sunlight

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2001, 10:12:00 AM »
I'll ask my friend, he bought the whole kit for me, and if I remember correctly the price of the lamp was something like 20 euros.

uemura

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2001, 12:37:00 AM »
Hi bees,
uemura did some google research and can confirm the TLC designed lamps are pretty expensive and the low-cost stuff for the fake money seems to be at 360nm or so.
BUT: he found another area where UV lamps are of use: mineralogy He checked out a pdf sheet described a nice UV hand-lamp for about 50$ saying it works in 2 frequencies (should be 254 and 360). Company closed over the holidays  :( .
The third type of application, sterilisation of water in ponds and aquarien provides you with type of lamps working in the low UV but these are also expensive and not very handy.

Merry X-Mas to the Bees

sunlight

« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2001, 12:52:00 PM »
I've consulted it and the uv tube 254nm I'm using is used as a germicide-bactericide in aquariums etc..., there are diferent lengths, but this one is exactly the same of the uv tubes for detecting faked money, so it was just substituted, and the price was 20-30 euros. It don't believe it is expensive for anyone.