Author Topic: preparing anhydrous MgSO4  (Read 4872 times)

bbeeasheets

preparing anhydrous MgSO4
« on: September 22, 2004, 04:40:00 AM »
after baking epsom salts for 2hrs @ 200C, the salts when from large clear crystals to a hard white sheet that turned to powder when scaping. i scraped and put in an oven dried mason jar. is this anh. MgSO4?

also can you microware dry MgSO4 and CaCl2?

terbium

Anhydrous MgSO4
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 07:28:00 AM »

after baking epsom salts for 2hrs @ 200C, the salts when from large clear crystals to a hard white sheet that turned to powder when scaping. i scraped and put in an oven dried mason jar. is this anh. MgSO4?

Yes, you have anhydrous MgSO4 now.

biotechdude

nuke it
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 07:54:00 AM »
also can you microware dry MgSO4 and CaCl2?

yes, just put it on a pyrex and nuke it/check it until crunchy and hard frosty white.  U may need to change the position on the turny-tray so it doesn it evenly.

geezmeister

careful!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »
Careful microwaving! Start at low power, heat for a few minutes, let cool, repeat at slightly higher power for a few minutes, let cool, increase power a little, etc.

Otherwise you can have an orange hot spot in the  MgSO4 that will be hot enough to melt the pyrex; the heating is uneven enough to break it also. You avoid this by using a turntable, and by doing the drying in increments of increasing power.

Drug_Phreak

I'm still trying to find the proper time and...
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »
I'm still trying to find the proper time and temperature needed to make DampRid (CaCl2) anhydrous. Anyone know? I have used TFSE and searched the Net, but I can't find this info.  ::)

hypo

merck index says
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
"loses all H2O at 200°"

HTH

(the CaCl2 i buy is anhydrous. you'll notice when it doesn't lose any H2O anymore.)

Drug_Phreak

OK... thanks for the info.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 02:27:00 PM »
OK... thanks for the info. I thought DampRid might react differently because of its low purity... guess not.