Author Topic: Making Palladium Chloride  (Read 2478 times)

DiMethyl

Making Palladium Chloride
« on: April 28, 2002, 03:31:00 AM »
Search engines have failed to produce a technique for making palladium chloride. The Merc was no help either. Perhaps someone here knows how to do it starting with 99% pure palladium metal. I did find a web site which distributes photo-chems and the owner of that business told of how in the early days of his business he made the stuff on his barbecue on the back patio and the stuff was so good that he actually sold it to people. I figure it can be done.
Anybody??

Belial

Not Searching hard enough!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2002, 07:05:00 AM »
Oh come on! which search engines did you use? TFSE and google, and google groups, have heaps of info on this. Perhaps broaden your search to include the words "Aqua Regia" as well.

The basic rundown is that Pd Metal dissolves in Aqua Regia(3parts Nitric Acid : 1part HCl) with the salt that remains after evaporation being crude PdCl2.

DiMethyl

thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2002, 07:49:00 AM »
Ok. I'll broaden the search a little.
Thanks

lugh

Search Techniques
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2002, 11:16:00 AM »
There is a thread on this subject with 53 posts, see

Post 73698 (missing)

(lugh: "Re: PdCl2 synthesis", Methods Discourse)
&

Post 75765 (missing)

(lugh: "Re: PdCl2 synthesis", Methods Discourse)
for practical details  :)  Obviously, you need to study using the search engine more thoroughly  :(

DiMethyl

Thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2002, 12:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.

UTFSE

from memory
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2002, 12:40:00 AM »
seems like dissolving palladium metal in aqua regia and then diluting the solution with more HCl -to get rid of nitric -will give you palladium chloride ionically and then precipitating the compound by ????? would give you PdCl.

OTEECEE & meeeee!!!!