Author Topic: Peroxides in Petroleum Spirits?  (Read 1701 times)

FriendlyFinger

Peroxides in Petroleum Spirits?
« on: February 21, 2003, 06:24:00 PM »
Does Petroleum Spirits form explosive peroxides?

Swim used some 40¢X-60¢X ligroin a year ago to extract THC from green stuff and want's to use the same solvent again. After extraction, swim collects the spent powered material, rams it in a wide neck flask, puts it in a water bath and recovers the solvent untill dry.

If so, can you test the same way you would for Diethyl Ether.?
Does a Ferro-salt destroy the peroxide quickly?

Thanks,
FF

raffike

Does Petroleum Spirits form explosive ...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 12:06:00 AM »
Does Petroleum Spirits form explosive peroxides?
They don't form explosives even in the presence of H2O2,alkanes are pretty stable,they only burn when heated to some certain temperature.

Lilienthal

For a simple peroxide test soak filter paper...
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 02:08:00 AM »
For a simple peroxide test soak filter paper stripes in KI / starch solution. Peroxides should give a purple-blueish spot due to the I2 / starch inclusion complex. But only ethers (especially diethylether) form explosive peroxides on storage under light and oxygen.

GC_MS

titration
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 04:56:00 PM »

For a simple peroxide test soak filter paper stripes in KI / starch solution. Peroxides should give a purple-blueish spot due to the I2 / starch inclusion complex. But only ethers (especially diethylether) form explosive peroxides on storage under light and oxygen.

Is this KI/starch solution turning purple the same as the iodometric titration they use to determine the concentration of peracids in a solution? I have read about "iodometric titrations" in a couple of peracid-related articles, but they never explain how exactly they performed the titration.

lugh

Iodometry
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 05:17:00 PM »
is the technique in which an oxidant is treated with I- to produce I3-, which is then tritrated, usually with thiosulfate  :)